• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sorry! Another "What are they?" query (not Datum Plates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

The image shows some yellow painted clamps(?) on sleepers which I saw yesterday at Bletchley Station. Haven't noticed them before, and they might have been connected to some cables, but not sure as the connections, if any, were hidden. Length - a few 10s of metres.

5748casp600px%20Bletchley%20Station.jpg

Larger image via link below:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102177471/AP/5748casp Bletchley Station.jpg

Thanks for any insight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
They are track restraint clamps to stop the track moving in relation to the surrounding infrastructure

Supercoss

Lateral resistance plates also known as sleeper anchors, can be fitted in 4ft or at sleeper ends

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I've seen plenty of these understandably on sharp curves, why would they be on a relatively straight section like this?

AM9

Veteran Member
Maybe because there is a lot of braking and acceleration activity in a station.

eMeS

I've seen plenty of these understandably on sharp curves, why would they be on a relatively straight section like this?

The ones I saw at Bletchley were on the track leading south from platform 6. They're just about visible on Google Maps, "Bletchley Station" Earth view, in comparison with the tracks for platforms 1-5 which don't show the hints of small blobs.
I've no idea what the radius of curvature of the track is at this point.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...726b7fb4281!8m2!3d51.99534!4d-0.7363?hl=en-GB

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Maybe because there is a lot of braking and acceleration activity in a station.

I think you'd run them well beyond a curve, if only to avoid any sudden differences of resistance when rolling stock was part on and part off the curve?

Then again they aren't going to do any harm alongside or between platforms and may help maintain the train to platform clearance better in the long term.

Odd how these things actually seem to be coming up more often than the dreaded datum plates over the last year or so, I answered a question about these only just over a week ago.

Last edited:

Ships

There might be S&C near by, you often see them on the run in/out

Status
Not open for further replies.