• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South London Line Class 456s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railcar B

This coming Saturday is officially last day for the Southern-operated South London line.
Can anyone confirm that 456s will be operating it on Saturday, or will it be bustituted like last weekend?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Neither National Rail not Southern's website list any planned engineering works for Southern for Saturday whatsoever.

Southern Dvr

When I've done Saturday South Londons we have had 1x Class 456 on one shuttle & 1x Class 455 on the other. From Monday there will be just one SN train on the South London Line which will be a Class 377 E.C.S approx 2200.

TEW

Established Member
Believe Saturdays should be 2x456 on one diagram and 1x455 on the other.

Railcar B

Thanks for your comments guys; hope to go for a last look (& ride) on Saturday.

ushawk

Established Member
What will the 456s be used on after this weekend? I'd imagine they'd be used to strengthen other Southern suburban services with 455s until they're transferred over to SWT, but I could be wrong. :)

Correct, just for strengthening other services.

Vicpaul

The 456s were meant to be going over to SWT but I was told yesterday it won't be until December next year now

Class377/5

Established Member
They will go to SWT in December 2014 when the 377/6s are up and running.
Adam :D

Should be going prior to that so they can have full refurishment. 377/6 are supposed to be in service by December 2013 so should be enough time unless they do a 377/5.....

Railcar B

Oh well! The SLL bowed out today with two 455s in service! So I didn't see any 456s today! Apparently the last SLL 456s ran yesterday. :(

N Levers

Oh well! The SLL bowed out today with two 455s in service! So I didn't see any 456s today! Apparently the last SLL 456s ran yesterday. :(

I believe 455s were intentionally put on the SLL today due to anticipated demand for the final day of the route

bicbasher

Established Member
BBC London News showed a 455 at Denmark Hill and the interior of a 456 car as they covered a protest by a local passenger group.

Incidentally on Twitter, a passenger tweeted an empty carriage of a 455 on the SLL today.

ushawk

Established Member
BBC London News showed a 455 at Denmark Hill and the interior of a 456 car as they covered a protest by a local passenger group.

Incidentally on Twitter, a passenger tweeted an empty carriage of a 455 on the SLL today.

There were people protesting at Victoria at about 1PM when i used the service for the last time, i know they also got on board the 13.11. I think the BTP moved them on too. Not sure what protesting is going to do, if anything this improves the line - the stations already look better !!!

Service was about half full too.

bicbasher

Established Member
There were people protesting at Victoria at about 1PM when i used the service for the last time, i know they also got on board the 13.11. I think the BTP moved them on too. Not sure what protesting is going to do, if anything this improves the line - the stations already look better !!!

Last Sunday, the SLL had the RRP's on running between Vic and London Bridge in Peckham. Total amount of passengers? Zero.

It's always sad to see a line go, but the replacement service from London Overground will increase passenger usage on that line and fits in with the former Silverlink lines which were neglected.

Established Member
Apparently the last SLL 456s ran yesterday. :(

456017 was running on its own on one of the diagrams, the other was a 455. So that would mean that 456017 was the last 456 to work on the SLL if both diagrams are 455s today.

jnjkerbin

Today, I was on the route and one of the trains was a 455 (455812) and I think the other one was formed of a 377 although it might have been an ECS passing me. The stations were already going orange!

Joe

pendolino

I've just been on the penultimate South London. The CIS on the platforms is showing the message 'Farewell South London line after 103 years and 1 week of service. Bon Voyage.'

Awww.

(I think the units running each way are 455812 and 455822, although I might be wrong about 822)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I've just been on the penultimate South London. The CIS on the platforms is showing the message 'Farewell South London line after 103 years and 1 week of service. Bon Voyage.'

Awww.

Bit meloddramatic, what with there being trains running along it tomorrow... it's a change in the service, not a line closure!

Class377/5

Established Member
Isn't the line via Crystal Palace also the South London Line? Just the outer version?

Eagle

Established Member
Isn't the line via Crystal Palace also the South London Line? Just the outer version?

It's all very vague (there are rather a lot of lines in South London, you may have noticed).

I wonder what happened to calling it the Atlantic Lines? Other than the fact that that name makes no geographic sense whatsoever.

pendolino

Bit meloddramatic, what with there being trains running along it tomorrow... it's a change in the service, not a line closure!

Don't be so grumpy! It's not like they had a brass band playing and champagne corks popping, which would be way over the top. I thought it was a nice gesture to mark the end of an era.

It's probably more significant for staff than passengers (other than those using the stations en route who are clearly disappointed to see a direct Vic to London Bridge service disappear). For Control it was always a bit of a headache as it was one service that was almost guaranteed to never run to time especially in the peak, and for drivers South Londons were always infamous because of the way they were diagrammed - lots of intensive running back and forth for hours on end, with no break, minimal turnarounds, and no chance to even use the loo if you needed to! And because it was very common for drivers to PASS from Vic to London Bridge or vice versa, the delays could often have a wider impact than just on the SLL service itself. So in many ways I suppose the end of the South London line will be met with a sigh of relief. South becomes East.

Technically that's the Outer South London line, yes, but as above, for staff 'South Londons' were the always (slightly problematic) Vic to London Bridge via Peckham Rye. And it makes more sense to call the service via Peckham the 'South London line' as half the journey is over the up/down South London. Going via Crystal Palace means running over the up/down London Bridge slow, then the up/down Sydenham Spur, up/down Crystal Palace and up/down Brighton slow.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wonder what happened to calling it the Atlantic Lines? Other than the fact that that name makes no geographic sense whatsoever.

Isn't that because it goes over an Atlantic Road at Brixton? ( Need to get my A-Z out to have a look... )

pendolino

It's all very vague (there are rather a lot of lines in South London, you may have noticed).

It's only the Atlantic Line from Peckham Rye Jct to Battersea Park; the name comes from the fact that the line runs over Atlantic Road in Brixton (although I'm not sure which came first, the railway line name or the road name). From Peckham to London Bridge it's the up/down South London lines. It was a strange quirk that from London Bridge to Peckham it was a down train, then from Peckham to Vic it became an up train, and vice versa. If I ever had to contact the signaller on a South London, I always had to stop and think whether I was up or down depending on where I'd got to.

Eagle

Established Member
It was a strange quirk that from London Bridge to Peckham it was a down train, then from Peckham to Vic it became an up train, and vice versa.

Makes sense though, as any line out of a London terminal should be down, and any line into one should be up.

(Marylebone used to be an exception; up and down are named the logical way round nowadays but the mileposts heading out of Marylebone still decrease towards Manchester Piccadilly (né London Road) along the old GCR London extension. They then switch to the Met's mileposts counting outwards from Baker Street.)

pendolino

Makes sense though, as any line out of a London terminal should be down, and any line into one should be up.

Yes, I agree it makes perfect sense for the reason you give, but it was still something to think about especially when you'd already done 3 of them. I'm sure there must be other examples elsewhere on the network of down trains becoming up mid-journey. But that's probably for another thread.

bicbasher

Established Member
A farewell to the SLL on the Southern DOI at Peckham Rye.

acowZeLd.jpg

Credit: @billgoats on Twitter.

TEW

Established Member
(I think the units running each way are 455812 and 455822, although I might be wrong about 822)
455812 ran the 23:11 VIC-LBG and 455825 the 23:11 LBG-VIC. The choice of units was intentional, they are both refurbished 455s which look a bit smarter inside that the rest of the fleet.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I don't know, but they may have been protesting about massive fare increases on the line from January once most of the point to point seasons are withdrawn. If you don't know that a season from South Bermondsey will cost the same as the one you used to be able to get from Queens Road Peckham etc (with the slight RPI+1 rise obviously) then you'll be in for a nasty shock after Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.