• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South of the Alps - 13: Trieste - Barcolana Special (50 p.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roni

Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
South of the Alps - 12: Landscapes around Verona (50 p.)

As mentioned before, I made it one last time to Italy in 2019. A friend and I had talked about it for years, now we wanted to see the event in person: via Udine, we reached Trieste at half past one.
Sad comparison of Piazza Oberdan on May 10 2015 when the tram still ran.
salp1301.jpg

Our destination was the 51st Barcolana, the largest sailing regatta in the world featuring about 2000 participating boats. Named after the suburb Barcola (Slovenian "Barkovlje"):

This year it is supposed to happen again:

The port of Trieste is turned into a huge fair, but you can circumvent the masses of people if you want.
salp1304.jpg

Piazza Unità d'Italia with town hall. The yacht "Way of Life" of Slovenian owner Gašper Vinčec to the right was about to win the main race the following day.
salp1303.jpg

Main thing in Italy: look cool! ;)
salp1302.jpg

salp1305.jpg

No boots on deck...
salp1306.jpg

Evening mood near the fortress which had been reserved for a private group.
salp1307.jpg

View of boats, the concrete church and lighthouse already known from previous reports, as well as some railway bits like a "Caimano" class E656 next to the Generali lion logo.
salp1308.jpg

Smaller floodlit races around the harbour in the evening.
salp1309.jpg

salp1310.jpg

salp1311.jpg

salp1312.jpg

The famous sail training vessel "Amerigo Vespucci" attended the event, lit in tricolore colours.
salp1313.jpg

salp1314.jpg

We rambled about the city. Places to eat were mostly fully reserved, but we found a nice little tavern serving homemade food a few streets away from the centre.
salp1315.jpg

October 13 2019

Next morning, 9 o'clock, at the Faro della Vittoria:

I walked around the corner to the large Barcola viaduct for R 1824/1894 Ljubljana - Trieste - Udine.
salp1316.jpg

InterCityNotte 777 Roma Termini - Trieste Centrale, obviously conveying a driving van trailer.
salp1317.jpg

Miramare Castle to the left.
salp1318.jpg

Participants had gathered from all over the world, like "New Zealand Endeavor" which had won the Whitbread Round the World Race in 1993/94. Sadly - as you can see - the wind was calm.
salp1319.jpg

Regionale Veloce 2210 towards Venice appeared at 9:19 a.m. while many yachts were leaving port.
salp1320.jpg

The lighthouse opened at 9:30, so we queued to be among the first allowed up, as there is only a limited amount of visitors to the platform. It was also a special occasion, as the lighthouse is not accessible to the public this time of day otherwise during the year.
salp1321.jpg

Exactly as we reached the top, a special hauled by class D445 passed by meeting Frecciarossa 9726 Trieste - Turin at 9:40 a.m.
salp1322.jpg

salp1323.jpg

Made it in time: View at the bay of Barcola with boats waiting for the start of the race and Frecciarossa highspeed EMU.

The panorama in larger resolution:

salp1324.jpg

Real meeting Frecciarossa - RV 2205 from Venice. The harbour and park to the left were our next destination.
salp1325.jpg

salp1326.jpg

salp1327.jpg

salp1328.jpg

salp1329.jpg

salp1330.jpg

All trains came within eleven minutes, then we had to make way for the next visitors. Once again it was all very lucky, as no trains were scheduled afterwards.
salp1331.jpg

We marched past the viaduct to Barcola harbour.
salp1332.jpg

salp1333.jpg

The start of the race was signalled by cannon salutes and ship's horns at 10:30. In mid-October it was still so warm, some people swam in the sea.
salp1334.jpg

The fire brigade cannot afford to be less stylish than the police - jetskis for everyone!
salp1335.jpg

salp1336.jpg

salp1337.jpg

Of course nothing much happened due to the dead calm, but after a while you noticed the boats moving away. You could follow everything via GPS app. All in all it is a very impressive sight, and I can recommend experiencing it in person one day.
salp1338.jpg

We went shopping and ate in the city, then returned home via Udine in the evening.
salp1339.jpg

May 1 2019

Back on the Easter trip I had also stayed overnight at Trieste, only the port was muuuuuch quieter...
salp1340.jpg

salp1341.jpg

View of station square in October after it had been renewed.
salp1342.jpg

R 20957 arrived at 8:32 a.m. from Udine.
salp1343.jpg

salp1344.jpg

R 1824 from Ljubljana followed punctually at 8:38. Afterwards, I mixed up the trains and first boarded the one to Udine, only noticing it last second but just in time. At 9:02, we left the station and turned towards Villa Opicina at Aurisina - a first for me on board a regular service.
salp1345.jpg

On August 11 2019, I went on an early excursion with Miško. We tried out different views around the Vrhnika viaduct, here a "time flow" version of R 1824 with motorway after six o'clock.
salp1346.jpg

On May 1 2019, I reached Ljubljana shortly before noon by cooperative CAF EMU.
salp1347.jpg

Linking cities.
salp1348.jpg

Something green is lurking in the distance - perhaps a preview of the next report part?
salp1349.jpg

Overview of now mainly clean SŽ-vehicles. Even 661-032 (GM #26225 / built 1960) joined in after almost 60 years of active duty at Ljubljana.
salp1350.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.