• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Pennine ranger on TPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I was thinking more of the map on the South Pennine Day Ranger leaflet, which shows Westgate and Sheffield in more or less a straight line. This is the one the public are more likely to see.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
I was thinking more of the map on the South Pennine Day Ranger leaflet, which shows Westgate and Sheffield in more or less a straight line. This is the one the public are more likely to see.
Ah, this i was unaware of. I will try and find one of those leaflets (unless you have the ability to scan it and upload it here). If there is some form of discrepancy there then a couple of things need to happen. Discretion from guards on services calling that way in the short term, and then an update to the leaflet or PREFERABLY, and update to the map to allow that line to be used on that ticket.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ah, this i was unaware of. I will try and find one of those leaflets (unless you have the ability to scan it and upload it here). If there is some form of discrepancy there then a couple of things need to happen. Discretion from guards on services calling that way in the short term, and then an update to the leaflet or PREFERABLY, and update to the map to allow that line to be used on that ticket.

It's the one on the Northern Rail website.

robbeech

Established Member
Ah yes, A completely different outlook on the map. Whilst it does say (as you pointed out originally) the line goes through Barnsley, I can see the potential confusion. It also states all operators except Grand Central and Hull Trains.
IMG_7560.jpg
{Photo shows Northern's take on the South Pennines Day Ranger Map, notably different to the one found on the NRE website}

yorksrob

Veteran Member
To be honest, there seems to be little point in excluding one Sheffield-Wakefield route and not the other, with the exception of the habitual overcrowding on XC (and that could be solved by excluding the company instead).

Certainly on a Saturday evening, ranger passengers would be less "in the way" (for want of a better phrase) of point-to-point ticket holders on the EMT HST than they would on the Hallam stopper.

SteveM70

Established Member
Ah yes, A completely different outlook on the map. Whilst it does say (as you pointed out originally) the line goes through Barnsley, I can see the potential confusion. It also states all operators except Grand Central and Hull Trains.
View attachment 75377
{Photo shows Northern's take on the South Pennines Day Ranger Map, notably different to the one found on the NRE website}

I love how Northern’s maps make Brighouse look like a massive interchange

nedchester

Established Member
Some years ago I had a South Pennine Day ranger and was excessed by an XC Conductor between Sheffield and Wakefield Westgate as he claimed it wasn't valid.

However, following a letter of complaint to XC I got a refund and an apology. Basically, because the ticket is valid at Sheffield and at Wakefield Westgate then the passenger is not to know which route the train takes.

robbeech

Established Member
So if you showed the above Northern iteration of the map, could you travel on XC?

Technically no, as it still doesn't show the route (correctly or not) although :

Some years ago I had a South Pennine Day ranger and was excessed by an XC Conductor between Sheffield and Wakefield Westgate as he claimed it wasn't valid.

However, following a letter of complaint to XC I got a refund and an apology. Basically, because the ticket is valid at Sheffield and at Wakefield Westgate then the passenger is not to know which route the train takes.

This makes some sense, although it was likely the luck of the draw as to which member(s) of staff looked at it as to whether you got this or were refused. Either would be acceptable in my opinion.
Cross country appears on the participating operators list on the NRE website (because of their services between Wakefield Westgate and Leeds) and so it is easy enough to mis understand.

nedchester

Established Member
Technically no, as it still doesn't show the route (correctly or not) although :

This makes some sense, although it was likely the luck of the draw as to which member(s) of staff looked at it as to whether you got this or were refused. Either would be acceptable in my opinion.
Cross country appears on the participating operators list on the NRE website (because of their services between Wakefield Westgate and Leeds) and so it is easy enough to mis understand.

It is valid according to XC because how are passengers supposed to know the route between Sheffield and Wakefield?

Status
Not open for further replies.