• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Tomos y Tanc

I agree with Envoy's ponts about Waungron Park. What makes it more annoying is that the 'necessity' of the bus station was the excuse given for closing a busy and conveniently located recycling centre. The closure of two of the four recycling centres in Cardiff has only added to the traffic problems.

Meanwhile TfW have a video on the recent blockade work.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
Welsh Govt now have powers devolved to them to enable the re-regulation of bus services in Wales, and it's WG's long term aim for TfW to at least coordinate the running of all bus and train services in Wales to allow for the kind of integrated public transport network Wales desperately needs.

anthony263

Established Member
Maybe the lost railink services could be reinstated and allow non rail passengers to use the service.

The 901 Blackwood to Ystrad Mynach service could run half hourly

Envoy

Established Member
Welsh Govt now have powers devolved to them to enable the re-regulation of bus services in Wales, and it's WG's long term aim for TfW to at least coordinate the running of all bus and train services in Wales to allow for the kind of integrated public transport network Wales desperately needs.
About a year ago, I checked out places with infrequent train / bus services and found several places where it appeared that no attempt had been made to match services. In the south east Wales area Llantwit Major comes to mind regarding buses to St. Donats etc. At Cwmbran, the Manchester south Wales trains tended to pass (almost) when serving this station - which would be the best* interchange for buses to Pontypool and the eastern valley to Blaenavon/ Big Pit. So, no attempt to match trains here and the local bus operator - Phil Anslow - did not even list Cwmbran station on his schedules - just a nearby road which most non locals would not have known was near the rail station. Stagecoach is another operator in this area that appears not to match with trains at Cwmbran at this time. * Pontyool & New Inn Station is nearer to Pontypool but fewer trains call as this route only has long distance trains. I welcome the fact that a new P&R car park is being built at this station with a direct link to the A4042. Hopefully somebody in WG will direct a bus company to run a service from Usk to this station which could continue to Pontypool? Pontyclun is another station which had a poor match between local buses and trains.

Looking further afield in Wales, Haverfordwest comes to mind with 1 train every other hour and infrequent buses going SW to Marloes and NW to St. David’s. (I actually contacted the St. David’s bus operator and he said that they had to match school times). So, a perhaps slight tweak of school times could mean that people arriving in Haverfordwest on one of the few trains could actually get a bus westwards to Newgale, Solva & St. David’s? Fishguard also comes to mind with buses not matching the trains and in NE Wales - Chirk.

So, let us hope that the WG will now get to work and try and get more co-ordination between the trains and the local buses along with integrated fares. (I have seen staff from the St.Fagans Museum having to walk all the way from Waungron Park station to St. Fagans because the trains were arriving just as the 32A bus left and they would have to pay again a full fare for the 2 mile bus ride).

It has now been clarified what the plans are for Waungron Park on the City Line. Incredibly they still plan to have a bus station but ALSO a block of council flats. So, new residents will have fumes from all the road traffic plus the buses coming and going - assuming that they still use diesel. Well at least the trains will be electric! Just how low will Cardiff Council go to ram in accommodation on unsuitable sites? As I said earlier, this is no place for humans to live. The Welsh Government speak with one tongue regarding air pollution and make everyone crawl along the M4 and A470 yet they must have been consulted on this and think it is a good idea.

Here are the details and buried amongst the Transport Statement is this:>

3.2.12The bus stops provided as part of phase 2 will accommodate a maximum of 21 buses in the AM peak and 19 in the PM peak. With the addition of bus routes 17 (12 buses) and 18 (12 buses) diverted via the interchange, there will be an additional 20-24 buses, increasing the total two- way operation to a maximum of approximately 40-45 buses per hour (one bus arriving approximately every 1.3 minutes). It should be noted that there is likely to be 25 buses travelling northbound (one bus approx. every 2.5 minutes) and 20 buses travelling southbound (one bus every 3 minutes). Assuming that each stop can accommodate 8-10 services per hour, the proposed provision of five bus stop bays will be sufficient.
Media Wales report :> https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/plans-revealed-new-bus-station-19747288

Last edited:

Tomos y Tanc

Typical. Forcing the neediest members of society to live in a high polution zone between a busy dual carriageway and a bus station. Imagine trying to bring up kids in a place like that.

anthony263

Established Member
I always tried to wait and see if we had any passengers coming off the train. The cityline needs a sunday service and when covid buggers off then easyway can get the 32a back up and running.

I no longer work for easyway since they laid me off because if the pandemic although I do the 320 service for nat which needs retimi g to connect with trains at waun front park and llantwit major

Envoy

Established Member
I always tried to wait and see if we had any passengers coming off the train. The cityline needs a sunday service and when covid buggers off then easyway can get the 32a back up and running.

I no longer work for easyway since they laid me off because if the pandemic although I do the 320 service for nat which needs retimi g to connect with trains at waun front park and llantwit major
Many thanks for your response and good to know that you try and wait for the train(s) at Waungron - which is the most critical interchange for the 32A and 320. Apologies if you know this already but bus operators will probably find this site the easiest way to determine when trains are due at stations - just fill in the Location Box:> https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/

Bus drivers could possibly keep the aforementioned site on their phones as it will tell them if trains are running late or cancelled. At Waungron Park, trains running in both directions call within about 3 minutes of each other so a pick up/drop off could be made for both ways if the bus operators can it the timings to fit. You will also find that the aforementioned site will show when trains are due at places without a station - such as St. Fagans Level Crossing. This is relevant because at this place in particular, traffic jams can back up through the village thus preventing the passage of buses and messing up the schedules. (The traffic jams will be getting worse here because of the all the new houses being built in the area. Unfortunately, the Welsh Government won’t let the increased population have access to the M4 at J33 - thus forcing people to drive through villages like St.Fagans, Radyr & Groes Faen).

Of course, timetable planning is rather difficult at the moment due to the reduced services running and account should also be made for the May & September timetable changes - which are usually minor.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Do any buses cross the level crossing at St Fagans!
The road between there and the top of Ely isn't very suitable!

anthony263

Established Member
Please don't mention st fagans and st georges level crossings they always delay the 320s

Do any buses cross the level crossing at St Fagans!
The road between there and the top of Ely isn't very suitable!
The 0710 0910 1110 1310 abd 1510 service 320 from st fagans and 0810 1010 1210 1410 and 1810 from Cardiff do abd its a bloody pain. The 322 service to barry used to do it but that was withdrawn about 8 years ago. Ive taken a nx tr axle coach uo that road once it an be done if you don't let traffic bully you.

Envoy

Established Member
The road from St. Fagans level crossing to Ely should have been widened but Cardiff Council are willing to sit back and allow even more housing be built but won’t pay to widen this dangerous road. Even when the new houses were recently built on the east side of this road, they failed to get the developer to even build a pedestrian footpath linking Ely with St. Fagans. As I said earlier, a north- south by-pass for St.Fagans exists a mile to the west and it is called the A4232. Unfortunately the Welsh Government won’t allow access to this highway from Llantrisant Road. Hence, the traffic problem will only get worse at St. Fagans. Even if the new Metro line is built through the Plasdwr development and out to Cregiau, it will mainly deal with the flow of people to and from the city centre.

Last edited:

Tomos y Tanc

The rollout of a £750m integrated public transport network across south Wales faces a "marginal" delay due to the coronavirus crisis, its boss says.
James Price of Transport for Wales (TfW) said the South Wales Metro project, set to be completed in 2023, will be delayed for "months not years".
He said work on lines, funded by the Welsh Government and European Union, had already started.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55949540

Cardiff123

Established Member
The rollout of a £750m integrated public transport network across south Wales faces a "marginal" delay due to the coronavirus crisis, its boss says.
James Price of Transport for Wales (TfW) said the South Wales Metro project, set to be completed in 2023, will be delayed for "months not years".
He said work on lines, funded by the Welsh Government and European Union, had already started.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55949540
Tbh I'm not sure why BBC Wales are reporting this as 'news', as it was announced last autumn the Valley lines upgrade works were slightly delayed due to Covid.
I guess they needed some kind of 'story' to mark the takeover of the running of the W&B franchise by TfW yesterday.

anthony263

Established Member
Noticed while parked up between trips on the G1 fflecsi service on Saturday that amey have begun clearing space for the new connections st taffs well to the Newport as well as clearing land for sidings inside the depot compound.

Work is still going on at landaf Station to the canopy on the Cardiff bound platform

anthony263

Established Member
My local Sm Huw iranca Davies stated on his Facebook page which I cant get the link to upload on here that welsh government are going to be putting the passing loop on the Maesteg branch at Tondu.

This is what we've suspected for a while although it's been said the Tondu loop is in the wrong place abd that it really should be further north near llangynwydd.

modifications are also being done to the track layout to straighten the track to increase linespeed which includes severing the Garw loop although the OVE to margam is being retained.

Although they still haven't published it he has said they've done a study into further increases to at least 4tph with additional loops on the line.

Envoy

Established Member
My local Sm Huw iranca Davies stated on his Facebook page which I cant get the link to upload on here that welsh government are going to be putting the passing loop on the Maesteg branch at Tondu.

This is what we've suspected for a while although it's been said the Tondu loop is in the wrong place abd that it really should be further north near llangynwydd.

modifications are also being done to the track layout to straighten the track to increase linespeed which includes severing the Garw loop although the OVE to margam is being retained.

Although they still haven't published it he has said they've done a study into further increases to at least 4tph with additional loops on the line.
If they plan to increase to 4 trains per hour - wonder if they will be shuttles to Bridgend or through trains to Cardiff & beyond? Perhaps they will extend the trains from Barry > Rhoose > Llantwit Major to go on to Maesteg? Perhaps they have a service from Ebbw Vale to Maesteg? That would allow the Cheltenham/Gloucester trains that currently serve Maesteg to proceed to west Wales. Who knows?

Call me a synic (and I’m a synic who votes FWIW), there’s an election in a month, is there any detail on the passing loops and line straightening or is this a vague comment/aspiration?

As for the 4tph that’s been an stated goal across the whole Metro area since 2012. So far we’ve only seen detail on the core lines (and that was announced in late 2018 with a commencement of 2022)

daodao

Established Member

How can a reliable half-hourly service be achieved with a passing loop at Tondu, when the published journey time from Tondu to Maesteg is 15-16 minutes and that from Maesteg to Tondu is 13-14 minutes?

anthony263

Established Member
If they plan to increase to 4 trains per hour - wonder if they will be shuttles to Bridgend or through trains to Cardiff & beyond? Perhaps they will extend the trains from Barry > Rhoose > Llantwit Major to go on to Maesteg? Perhaps they have a service from Ebbw Vale to Maesteg? That would allow the Cheltenham/Gloucester trains that currently serve Maesteg to proceed to west Wales. Who knows?

Wish tfw would publish these reports then we'd have some answers

Tomos y Tanc

I see that they plan to build as new hospital Cardiff. Let us hope that it actually is on a Metro Line - unlike the new one they just built to the east of Cwmbran.
Finding ANY site large enough will be a challenge and rebuilding on the current site while maintaining services would be very difficult.

I guess that with the contraction of brick and mortar retail the could look at what are currently OOT retail parks around Newport Road and Western Avenue both of which are ajacent ro rail corridors.

daodao

Established Member
Finding ANY site large enough will be a challenge and rebuilding on the current site while maintaining services would be very difficult.

I guess that with the contraction of brick and mortar retail the could look at what are currently OOT retail parks around Newport Road and Western Avenue both of which are ajacent ro rail corridors.
Not necessarily. There is a lot of land on the east side of the UHW site, with miscellaneous buildings and parkland (I am not referring to Heath Park itself). By contrast, the Royal Gwent Hospital site was not suitable for further development, being built on the side of a relatively steep hill.

Roverebbw

Not necessarily. There is a lot of land on the east side of the UHW site, with miscellaneous buildings and parkland (I am not referring to Heath Park itself). By contrast, the Royal Gwent Hospital site was not suitable for further development, being built on the side of a relatively steep hill.
The health board would like a new hospital but the Welsh government will take 14 years to decides if a new one is required .

daodao

Established Member
I wonder if the mainly derelict land SW of Ikea would do for the new hospital? It could have it’s own rail station (on the line to Penarth & Barry), be reasonably central and has an expressway nearby for road access:> https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4607479,-3.1901612,1284m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1
UHW is a major regional hospital and its current site is ideal for access from other parts of South-East Wales via the A48/A48M (with which it has a dedicated interchange) and Manor Way/A470.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
UHW is a major regional hospital and its current site is ideal for access from other parts of South-East Wales via the A48/A48M (with which it has a dedicated interchange) and Manor Way/A470.
That's undoubtedly true, but it is also a major employer, and better public transport access would facilitate greener commuting. And a lot of people travelling to the hospital for visiting and out-patients may not have access to a car (or not be able to use it), so better public transport links will be a great advantage there too, especially for those travelling from further afield.

Envoy

Established Member
The site that I suggested would have excellent road links from the west - providing the Welsh Government scrap plans to bung up M4 J33 with a business park & P&R and build a flyover instead. The Welsh Govenrment have also failed to complete the Eastern Bay Link (A4232) linking the Bay area with the Rumney flyover and hence the A48 Eastern Avenue which connects with the M4 between Cardiff & Newport. (This road has been on the drawing board since the 1970’s). So, if this road were built, it would be a useful link to a hospital on my suggested site. Of course, one would hope that people would use the trains so being on the line to Penarth/Barry with frequent Metro services with a station at the hospital would be ideal.

It is regrettable that with the introduction of the Metro that through services between the central valleys (Pontypridd/ Treherbert/ Aberdare/Merthyr) will cease to run down to the coast as these will loop around in Cardiff. Only the Rhynmey valley line will have through services down to the coast.

Last edited:

anotherguy87

The Welsh Government have acquired land for the siting of the proposed Gabalfa station.