• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Cardiff123

Established Member
Mind you, every infrastructure project is really! :D

They're usually all late, bits missing as it's gone overbudget so they've had to remove some things to keep costs down!

Just out of interest, when is this project expected to be complete and how much overbudget is it? ;)
It's not over budget, but the plans have been changed since that map (which is from January 2019) to stay within the allocated budget. It's due to be completed between 2023-2024. The Taff Valley lines (through Pontypridd) will be completed first, with the tram-trains expected to be running on those lines by mid-2023, and the Rhymney Valley and Coryton lines are expected to be completed in 2024.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221101 Voyager

Established Member
It's not over budget, but the plans have been changed since that map (which is from January 2019) to stay within the allocated budget. It's due to be completed between 2023-2024. The Taff Valley lines will be completed first, with the tram-trains expected to be running on those lines by mid-2023, and the Rhymney Valley and Coryton lines are expected to be completed in 2024.
Thanks, sounds good. Can't wait to have a go on them when they are finished!

Envoy

Established Member
It's not over budget, but the plans have been changed since that map (which is from January 2019) to stay within the allocated budget. It's due to be completed between 2023-2024. The Taff Valley lines (through Pontypridd) will be completed first, with the tram-trains expected to be running on those lines by mid-2023, and the Rhymney Valley and Coryton lines are expected to be completed in 2024.
I wonder what has been axed? If it is the proposed new route out from Fairwater to Cregiau to serve all the new housing such as Plasdwr, then it will render much of the Cardiff LDP a disaster.

Cardiff123

Established Member
I wonder what has been axed? If it is the proposed new route out from Fairwater to Cregiau to serve all the new housing such as Plasdwr, then it will render much of the Cardiff LDP a disaster.
That can't be axed because it's not in any definite, approved plans yet.
The only changes are more discontinuous electrification on the Taff Valley lines. But there may be more wiring on the Rhymney line, almost certainly to Bargoed and possibly all the way up to Rhymney, depending on how they choose to sort out the electricity power supply issues at Rhymney

Envoy

Established Member
That can't be axed because it's not in any definite, approved plans yet.
The only changes are more discontinuous electrification on the Taff Valley lines. But there may be more wiring on the Rhymney line, almost certainly to Bargoed and possibly all the way up to Rhymney, depending on how they choose to sort out the electricity power supply issues at Rhymney
Many thanks for your swift response. I just hope that the planners are leaving a viable route through these new housing areas - as was originally set out by mainly preserving the alignment of the former freight line with amendments in the J33 area.

Tomos y Tanc

Many thanks for your swift response. I just hope that the planners are leaving a viable route through these new housing areas - as was originally set out by mainly preserving the alignment of the former freight line with amendments in the J33 area.
The transport corridor is being preserved through the new developments so that at least is something. Unfortunately, little thought seems to have been given in the masterplan to locating schools, shops etc on sites ajacent to the proposed metro line.

The Masterplan can be seen here. There are two possible Metro rountes included in it; the current disused rail formation described as the 'safeguarded alternative tram train alignment' and another decribed as 'main street with provision for future tram-train'.

It's obvious that the 'main street' option is the developer's preference since it would serve the development better but that would be at the expense of increased journey times.

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
The transport corridor is being preserved through the new developments so that at least is something. Unfortunately, little thought seems to have been given in the masterplan to locating schools, shops etc on sites ajacent to the proposed metro line.

The Masterplan can be seen here. There are two possible Metro rountes included in it; the current disused rail formation described as the 'safeguarded alternative tram train alignment' and another decribed as 'main street with provision for future tram-train'.

It's obvious that the 'main street' option is the developer's preference since it would serve the development better but that would be at the expense of increased journey times.
I agree with your statement. If they have a new metro route meandering around these new developments on street, not only will it increase journey times for those from further out but it will surely also screw up the schedules of the entire network. Right now, the trains normally run to the minute because they are on a dedicated rail network. Any wandering around streets is surely going to prevent this as can be seen with the buses? The ones that will suffer the most, should this happen, will be the upper valleys where it will be vital that services run to the minute in order to pass at the passing loops.

Your statement regarding little thought being given on the masterplan (Plasdwr) to the location of shops/local centres being by the metro line is also spot on. However, much of the land by the former rail route in the Plasdwr section is marshy or wooded with the housing being mainly on the higher ground. Furthermore, I think it would be difficult for these tram-trains to deviate far from the old railway (Fairwater to Cregiau) as the slopes are very steep.

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I agree with your statement. If they have a new metro route meandering around these new developments on street, not only will it increase journey times for those from further out but it will surely also screw up the schedules of the entire network. Right now, the trains normally run to the minute because they are on a dedicated rail network. Any wandering around streets is surely going to prevent this as can be seen with the buses? The ones that will suffer the most, should this happen, will be the upper valleys where it will be vital that services run to the minute in order to pass at the passing loops.

Your statement regarding little thought being given on the masterplan (Plasdwr) to the location of shops/local centres being by the metro line is also spot on. Furthermore, I think it would be difficult for these tram-trains to deviate far from the old railway (Fairwater to Cregiau) as the slopes are very steep.
Sheffield trams cope well with some pretty steep hills.

Envoy

Established Member
Sheffield trams cope well with some pretty steep hills.
The Class 398 tram-trains for the core valley lines look rather more train like than tram like - so not sure what they would be like with steep hills.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Class 398 tram-trains for the core valley lines look rather more train like than tram like - so not sure what they would be like with steep hills.
I can't immediately find data for a 398 but the Rotherham tram-train (399) has three motored bogies out of four. This would make it better on hills than something like a Metrolink tram (2 out of 3, infrastructure ruling gradient 6% I think) but not as good as the original Supertrams (4 out of 4, 10%).

Envoy

Established Member
I have walked much of the old railway through what is now known as Plasdwr. Here are 3 of my photos to give you some idea of the terrain.

1 shows the old trackbed (single line). 2 shows a view to the north and 3 a view to the south.

Attachments

• OLD SINGLE TRTACK RAILWAY - WATERHALL.jpeg
    OLD SINGLE TRTACK RAILWAY - WATERHALL.jpeg
    644.2 KB · Views: 68
  • VIEW N FROM OLD SINGLE TRACK RAILWAY - WATERHALL.jpeg
    VIEW N FROM OLD SINGLE TRACK RAILWAY - WATERHALL.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 68
  • MARSH FROM OLD RAILWAY - LOOKING S.jpeg
    MARSH FROM OLD RAILWAY - LOOKING S.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 68

anthony263

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet. This was uploaded onto Facebook earlier.

Tfw upgrading canton depot so units being stabled overnight elsewhere including Heath low level , penarth and barry island

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1621526203515.jpg
    FB_IMG_1621526203515.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 97
  • FB_IMG_1621526205519.jpg
    FB_IMG_1621526205519.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 94
  • FB_IMG_1621526207376.jpg
    FB_IMG_1621526207376.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 87
  • FB_IMG_1621526209166.jpg
    FB_IMG_1621526209166.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 86
  • FB_IMG_1621526212396.jpg
    FB_IMG_1621526212396.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 95

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Due to construction Works required at Canton Depot, a number of units will be out stabled overnight as a result of the reduction of space. They will be stabled at Barry Island, Bridgend, Pontypridd, Caerphilly, Hereford, Penarth, Swansea, Cardiff Bay and Heath Low Level. This will start next week and the units will be visited by Maintenance and cleaning staff and a member of security will stay with them until the crew arrive in the morning to take them into service.

anthony263

Established Member
Stabling units at heath low level and Cardiff bay is certainly a bit if a talking point on Facebook at the moment

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Stabling units at heath low level and Cardiff bay is certainly a bit if a talking point on Facebook at the moment
I wonder why they didn't opt for the sidings at the old Freightliner site at Pengam Jn. They would accommodate quite a lot of units and I doubt they are heavily used. I know the local residents might whinge, but it is still operational railway land.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I wonder why they didn't opt for the sidings at the old Freightliner site at Pengam Jn. They would accommodate quite a lot of units and I doubt they are heavily used. I know the local residents might whinge, but it is still operational railway land.

Probably because of no platform access for staff requiring to work on them plus security staff who are not authorised on the tracks. They would be at locations where trains terminate at night and start in the morning thus avoiding crews for ferrying.

the sniper

Established Member
I know it is what it is at this point, but every time I come back to look at this project I can't help but feel that the tramification of the core Valley lines is going to be rued over the decades following its implementation. The Valley lines had the makings of a perfect S Bahn like system with Class 777 like units. For the sake of relatively small street running elements, throwing in all the variables those bring and vehicle/unit/formation compromises required, just to save a bit of walking to near by stations, seems like a largely worthless complication/expense.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I know it is what it is at this point, but every time I come back to look at this project I can't help but feel that the tramification of the core Valley lines is going to be rued over the decades following its implementation. The Valley lines had the makings of a perfect S Bahn like system with Class 777 like units. For the sake of relatively small street running elements, throwing in all the variables those bring and vehicle/unit/formation compromises required, just to save a bit of walking to near by stations, seems like a largely worthless complication/expense.
We’ve had that debate on numerous occasions in the years since the announcement, and there are strongly held views on both sides. So probably better to accept that it is what it is now.

Envoy

Established Member
Absolutely. What's the rationale for not electrifying to Penarth and Barry? And will they really curtail the through Valley-Barry Island services - which can still get really busy in the summer?
They have no choice but to curtail the through Taff (& tributaries) valley to Coast services because the tram-trains that they have ordered will surely not be able to go that far on battery power. It would also be a very long run from say Merthyr or Treherbert to Barry without a toilet. People will have to gamble on ‘busting’ or getting off at say Pontypridd or Cardiff Central and using the toilets and then getting a later service.

The Stadler Flirts that will be used on the Rhymney Valley to coast route will of course provide a through service (with toilets) BUT - they will have to fire up their diesel engine to get from Central to the coast or perhaps use the battery as far as maybe Grangetown to avoid city centre pollution. (I am not sure how far they will be able to go on battery power).

Network Rail ‘own’ the tracks from Central to the Coast so it would be up to them to electrify the Penarth & Barry routes. It is just a great pity that Network Rail can’t deliver projects on time and to budget as witnessed by the GWML debacle.

Cardiff123

Established Member
Absolutely. What's the rationale for not electrifying to Penarth and Barry? And will they really curtail the through Valley-Barry Island services - which can still get really busy in the summer?
As Envoy has said, the lines from Cardiff to Barry, Penarth and Bridgend via the Vale were not devolved to Welsh Govt as the Valley lines from Cardiff north to the Valleys were. So Welsh Govt are electrifying and upgrading what they have control of. Welsh Govt have been pushing for years to have all of the rail infrastructure in Wales fully devolved, but yet again just last week in the Commons Grant Shapps gave a very pointed 'you must be joking' answer. Do you think UK Govt are interested in electrifying the lines to Barry Island, Penarth and Bridgend via the Vale? :lol: :rolleyes:

Passengers coming down from Rhymney/Bargoed (and pre-Covid from Treherbert), already have to change in Cardiff to get down to Barry Island. So seeing as Barry Island services will be working to & from Rhymney in the new timetable, all that will be happening is a different set of Valleys passengers will need to change in Cardiff for Barry Island.

Last edited:

WesternBiker

As Envoy has said, the lines from Cardiff to Barry, Penarth and Bridgend via the Vale were not devolved to Welsh Govt as the Valley lines from Cardiff north to the Valleys were. So Welsh Govt are electrifying and upgrading what they have control of. Welsh Govt have been pushing for years to have all of the rail infrastructure in Wales fully devolved, but yet again just last week in the Commons Grant Shapps gave a very pointed 'you must be joking' answer. Do you think UK Govt are interested in electrifying the lines to Barry Island, Penarth and Bridgend via the Vale? :lol: :rolleyes:
I know it might be naive, but one might have thought a little bit of join up between Network Rail and the Welsh Assembly might see the modest mileage to Barry Island and Penarth electrified? I can't imagine that happening in any other European country...

And I do not the envy the cleaners working on the Valley Lines after a Friday and Saturday might out, with no toilets on the tram-trains. Do Assembly members - or their staff - never use the trains themselves on a weekend??

Cardiff123

Established Member
I know it might be naive, but one might have thought a little bit of join up between Network Rail and the Welsh Assembly might see the modest mileage to Barry Island and Penarth electrified? I can't imagine that happening in any other European country...

And I do not the envy the cleaners working on the Valley Lines after a Friday and Saturday might out, with no toilets on the tram-trains. Do Assembly members - or their staff - never use the trains themselves on a weekend??
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as 'join up' between the Welsh and UK Govts, and since Boris Johnson became PM, it's been open hostility by Westminster towards Cardiff Bay. The only time that there's ever 'join up' between Network Rail and Welsh Govt, is if Welsh Govt is paying for whatever it wants NR to do, as we've seen with the Ebbw Vale line, which UK Govt has refused to fund. This includes the initial 2008 Ebbw Vale line re-opening, and the double track improvements that Welsh Govt have been trying to progress in recent years.

When Welsh Govt does fund NR improvement projects in Wales, the money has to be diverted from other devolved budgets such as health & education, as Welsh Govt gets no Barnett formula funding from Westminster to spend on the Welsh rail network, as Scotland and NI do.

(The Welsh Assembly is also now officially the Welsh Parliament, or more commonly known by it's Welsh name, the Senedd)

Last edited:

Brissle Girl

Established Member
These subjects (especially toilets) have been discussed repeatedly. Can we try not to go over the same ground yet again. It’s now a few years since these decisions were made and set in stone.

Envoy

Established Member
Network Rail won’t even wire the relatively short distance between just N of Queen Street Station through Central to Ninian Park. Platform 4 (mainline) has been wired but the boom does not even reach across to the neighbouring valley line P6 at Central.

Dr Day

Is it really a case of 'Network Rail won't' or more of a case of 'DfT couldn't justify the expenditure to the taxpayer when it last studied it several years ago as it didn't appear to offer great value for money'?

We are now in a different world, but (without getting into debates on devolution) presumably the case for electrification south/west of Cardiff can be looked at in the current context by the relevant parties to see if it stacks up or not?

59CosG95

Established Member
Network Rail won’t even wire the relatively short distance between just N of Queen Street Station through Central to Ninian Park. Platform 4 (mainline) has been wired but the boom does not even reach across to the neighbouring valley line P6 at Central.
I'm sure that, if required, the booms could simply be 'un-hooked' and replaced by a slightly longer model during a blockade. Or, in the case of this structure, the circled stovepipe could be lowered to provide an attachment point for a cantilever.2021-05-25_09-31-26.jpg
That said, the other booms over P4 would need replacing to allow for extensions - this one appears to be the exception.

Last edited:

Tomos y Tanc

Is it really a case of 'Network Rail won't' or more of a case of 'DfT couldn't justify the expenditure to the taxpayer when it last studied it several years ago as it didn't appear to offer great value for money'?

We are now in a different world, but (without getting into debates on devolution) presumably the case for electrification south/west of Cardiff can be looked at in the current context by the relevant parties to see if it stacks up or not?
It certainly should be looked at again particularly since the teams Amey will be emplying on the core valley lines could be redployed to other lines when the current prgramme is completed in a few years time.

Ideally, the work being carried out at the moment could become phase one of a rolling programme. The difficulty is of course is that TfW has a whole fleet of DMUs on order, bought on the assumption that electrification wouldn't happen.