• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anotherguy87

Last edited by a moderator:

59CosG95

Established Member
TFW's "Work in your area" page has stated that piling works on the Aberdare line started yesterday (26/7/21) and will run until 5/2/22, between Aberdare and Pontypridd. Nothing yet on any of the other lines.

Legolash2o

Are they still planning on having gaps of electrification around Pontypridd, Cardiff Queen Street and some tunnels?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Yes, they are. The more complex areas, and where bridges are particularly problematic, will be free of wires and trains/trams will use batteries through those areas.

59CosG95

Established Member
Are they still planning on having gaps of electrification around Pontypridd, Cardiff Queen Street and some tunnels?

Yes, they are. The more complex areas, and where bridges are particularly problematic, will be free of wires and trains/trams will use batteries through those areas.
From a quick Google Earth survey: the problem at Pontypridd is the retaining wall south of the station (and the necessity of bespoke wall brackets for masts in said wall); the problem at Merthyr is the viaducts to the south of the station, the problem from Lisvane to Caerphilly is Caerphilly Tunnel; the problem at Bargoed is the cut-and-cover tunnel immediately south of the station (for the bus interchange); and the problem around Cathays is the Cardiff Uni Student Union building (conveniently going right over the tracks), which leads right to the complex area around Cardiff QS.

Interestingly, Radyr is fully electrified while Pontypridd isn't, and both are junctions - I'd say an additional straw to break the Pontypridd camel's back is the switch diamond at Ponty's northern throat - which happens to be right under a footbridge toward the station. Cardiff QS also has one, to the north of the A4161 (albeit without a footbridge right above).
Radyr has no such turnouts. (TFW must really loathe the idea of cross-contact bars :lol:)

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I guess once you've made the decision to have battery units, the decision at any point in the network whether to wire or not is made easier. So long as you have some reasonable runs to make sure the batteries are able to charge back up before the next break, why not leave all the tricky parts?

For a system that back in the early 80s only had a two hourly service at the far end of all three branches (Aberdare was still freight only), a 15 minute frequency electrified service is an astonishing turn-around. Hopefully it will contribute to economic recovery in the Rhondda Cynon Taff area a generation after the main form of employment was closed down (excluding Tower, which did hang on for a surprisingly long time).

Cardiff123

Established Member
and the problem around Cathays is the Cardiff Uni Student Union building (conveniently going right over the tracks), which leads right to the complex area around Cardiff QS.

The Cardiff Uni SU building is actually quite high up over the tracks, high enough I reckon for live wires to safely run underneath it.
Over the past 18 months though various other Uni buildings have sprung up around Cathays station, including a new 'Centre for Student Life' that itself has been built over the existing SU building, and a new STEM building built on a car park directly next to Cathays station. Maybe the proximity of all of these buildings pushed up against the railway has caused issues for wires.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The Cardiff Uni SU building is actually quite high up over the tracks, high enough I reckon for live wires to safely run underneath it.
Over the past 18 months though various other Uni buildings have sprung up around Cathays station, including a new 'Centre for Student Life' that itself has been built over the existing SU building, and a new STEM building built on a car park directly next to Cathays station. Maybe the proximity of all of these buildings pushed up against the railway has caused issues for wires.
You'd really hope that any buildings put up in the last few years when electrification has been on the cards would not cause any issues with the potential for wiring. Else somebody has really dropped a ball during the planning process.

Cardiff123

Established Member
You'd really hope that any buildings put up in the last few years when electrification has been on the cards would not cause any issues with the potential for wiring. Else somebody has really dropped a ball during the planning process.
Cardiff Council hasn't exactly been known for sensible planning decisions over the past few years, virtually anything that applies for planning permission in Cardiff is rubber stamped and waved through without an iota of scrutiny.

Legolash2o

From a quick Google Earth survey: the problem at Pontypridd is the retaining wall south of the station (and the necessity of bespoke wall brackets for masts in said wall); the problem at Merthyr is the viaducts to the south of the station, the problem from Lisvane to Caerphilly is Caerphilly Tunnel; the problem at Bargoed is the cut-and-cover tunnel immediately south of the station (for the bus interchange); and the problem around Cathays is the Cardiff Uni Student Union building (conveniently going right over the tracks), which leads right to the complex area around Cardiff QS.

Interestingly, Radyr is fully electrified while Pontypridd isn't, and both are junctions - I'd say an additional straw to break the Pontypridd camel's back is the switch diamond at Ponty's northern throat - which happens to be right under a footbridge toward the station. Cardiff QS also has one, to the north of the A4161 (albeit without a footbridge right above).
Radyr has no such turnouts. (TFW must really loathe the idea of cross-contact bars :lol:)
Thanks for the info!

Tomos y Tanc

Cardiff Council hasn't exactly been known for sensible planning decisions over the past few years, virtually anything that applies for planning permission in Cardiff is rubber stamped and waved through without an iota of scrutiny.
That's easy to say and equally easy to disprove as Cardiff Council planning committee meetings are all webcast and available online. The scrutiny has always seemed very thorough to me, even when I personally disagree with a decision.

To my mind, the council is a little bit too pro-developer but that's true of most local authorities what ever their political colour. If you watched the meetings though, you'd find that they're anything but rubber stamps, with councillors frequently rejecting officer reccomendations.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this is a Infrastructure & Stations thread to discuss updates regarding the South Wales 'Metro'

If anyone wishes to discuss anything else, such as the road network, traction & rolling stock updates, timetable updates, or speculation, please create a new thread (if there isn't one already) in the appropriate forum section :)

Some posts have been moved to the following threads:

Last edited:

Brissle Girl

Established Member
By dropping the ball I meant Network Rail and its successor body as owner. I would suggest that if due representation was made, it would be very difficult for a planning body to wave something through from such a key stakeholder (who quite probably has statutory rights in relation to building rights adjacent to the railway, although I am not an expert on the subject).

Envoy

Established Member
When I set up this thread, I meant for it to be a one stop place to go for all things to do with the South Wales Metro and it has proved to be incredibly popular. Recent posts about the Flirts now being built, extending from Aberdare to Hirwaun to hopefully serve nearby tourist attractions and links to Cardiff Airport are all highly relevant to the topic. Unfortunately ‘yorkie’ thinks otherwise and has split these off. I don’t see why the construction of the Flirts can’t be mentioned in both this topic and in the Rolling Stock section. It really makes me want to give up in frustration having taken the time and effort to place posts.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Splitting rolling stock out provides consistency with the rest of the forum, prevents threads becoming too cumbersome and makes it easier for users wanting information about specific Metro developments to find it, rather than having to skim through post after post about very tangential issues, such as airport expansion plans, which digressed considerably, or aspects of the Metro which they may have less interest in.

I imagine Yorkie puts in a huge amount of time to trying to ensure the forum operates effectively, to the benefit of all. We should respect the decisions that he makes in trying to do that. Many forums have a rule that public criticism of the administrators is not allowed “My gaff, my rules”, and whilst I’m not aware if that’s the case here, it’s certainly good practice as a user not to do so.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Splitting rolling stock out provides consistency with the rest of the forum, prevents threads becoming too cumbersome and makes it easier for users wanting information about specific Metro developments to find it, rather than having to skim through post after post about very tangential issues, such as airport expansion plans, which digressed considerably, or aspects of the Metro which they may have less interest in.
I agree, for example I'm interested in the new rolling stock but not in reading about the demand for airports in Cardiff and Bristol!

Envoy

Established Member
I take on board the 2 posts above and obviously we want a forum that pleases the majority. I also note that when this forum started, much discussion took place regarding whether tram-trains or normal trains should be the preferred rolling stock even though this is not the rolling stock section.

Cardiff123

Established Member

I imagine Yorkie puts in a huge amount of time to trying to ensure the forum operates effectively, to the benefit of all. We should respect the decisions that he makes in trying to do that. Many forums have a rule that public criticism of the administrators is not allowed “My gaff, my rules”, and whilst I’m not aware if that’s the case here, it’s certainly good practice as a user not to do so.
Agreed. Rail UK forums operate very well by having very clearly defined sub-forums for discussion of specific topics, rail and non-rail related. This thread is very clearly in the heavy rail 'Infrastructure & Stations' sub-forum, which is being generous in itself as we know the Metro is a mix of heavy and light rail.

If this thread is going to become a 'catch-all' thread for every single transport related development in south Wales, whether that's rail, roads, buses, airports, even speculative links to tourist attractions etc, it should be moved to the 'General Discussion' sub-forum and re-named.

Last edited:

Cardiff123

Established Member
If I were them I wouldn’t be putting those videos out to the public!

I disagree, TfW absolutely should be, and need to be putting out publicity videos like this. Just as they are putting out news stories about the new trains that are finally on their way. After decades of public transport in Wales being run down by successive governments, there's still a huge amount of scepticism amongst the public that the Valley lines upgrade and Metro will ever happen. People need to see the evidence that investment is happening and change is on its way.

TfW are absolutely right to 'boast' about the investment they they are finally getting to upgrade the rail network in south Wales, after generations of waiting for a project like this to finally come along.

Last edited:
I've just read an interesting article from Modern Railways written in March and TfW have said the new Cardiff Bay station next to The Flourish is essentially canned. This is due to Cardiff Council aspirations to extend the line around the docks towards Splott.

The plan is to use the existing station (presumably extended) and run a spur for street running to the Pierhead.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
After decades of public transport in Wales being run down by successive governments, there's still a huge amount of scepticism amongst the public that the Valley lines upgrade and Metro will ever happen.
Just to pick up on that, the recent service downgrades to one train per hour at the heads of the valleys really hasn't helped that thinking. Certainly some friends / family I have back home are more likely to think the hourly service is now the normal rather than the frequency increasing to four per hour.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Just to pick up on that, the recent service downgrades to one train per hour at the heads of the valleys really hasn't helped that thinking. Certainly some friends / family I have back home are more likely to think the hourly service is now the normal rather than the frequency increasing to four per hour.
Much better to have a reliable hourly service atm, than lots of cancellations that leave people in the lurch. GWR has also cut a lot of services - I don't think the TOCs have much control over staffing levels at the moment given the amount of pinging going on.

Tomos y Tanc

I think the "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude is very strong amongst valleys people at the moment - and who can blame them after everything the last hundred years has thrown at them?

I really don't think that's a problem though. Seeing will be believing.

59CosG95

Established Member
Last edited: