• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Dai Corner

Established Member
I don't have a car and I am totally dependent on public transport.

That might explain why you didn't appear to understand that a reasonably comfortable travelling environment with a seat for all but the shortest journeys is the expectation in South Wales. People who have the option will drive if they don't get that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gareth950

Again, an obsession with LR conversion meaning 'ripping out' all that CASR work. What do you think they would be doing? Removing all the track and starting again?

No, ripping out or mothballing brand new, state of the art, upgraded signalling that WG themselves paid for. If that's not a scandal what is?

Again, you're saying that any infrastructure split must necessarily result in an operational split. Sure, the Welsh Government want control of the infrastructure north of Queen Street. Does that preclude the idea of through running onto NR tracks? No.

It does without wires.

Because you don't. You keep the connection and LR trains continue running to Central, and onto the other parts of the Cardiff rail network.

Again, LR cannot run on other parts of the Cardiff rail network without wires, which are not planned. The only way NR will put up wires is if someone pays for it. It won't be DfT. It won't be Welsh Govt as they are throwing all infrastructure spending at the 'Core VL' and fantastically expensive road schemes. It won't be the ERDF. Who will it be?

Even if you run trams through to Central, you somehow have to segregate them from HR, and somehow also find mystery platforms to terminate at least 10tph (at current service levels without enhancements) from Penarth, Barry, the Vale, and the City line.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Again, an obsession with LR conversion meaning 'ripping out' all that CASR work. What do you think they would be doing? Removing all the track and starting again?
What has "removing all the track and starting again" got to do with CASR? DO you actually know what that was?

I do know there are different sorts of planning permission. What I can tell you is that depots have to be designed around the sort of rolling stock that will be used. The plans they've submitted are entirely 100% based around 50m long LR stock. Any change would necessitate almost complete redesign of the depot, since it's all on a very constrained site. There's little point applying for outline planning approval if there's a chance the whole thing would need to be redone, or even moved entirely.
The Outline Planning permission is for nothing more than a SHED. Of course it can be redesigned for something different.

Again, you're saying that any infrastructure split must necessarily result in an operational split. Sure, the Welsh Government want control of the infrastructure north of Queen Street. Does that preclude the idea of through running onto NR tracks? No.
Only if NR agree and everything fits into their criteria.

Because you don't. You keep the connection and LR trains continue running to Central, and onto the other parts of the Cardiff rail network.
How?

I don't have an obsessive dedication to LR. I can simply see that in cases like this it presents lots of exciting opportunities. There are plenty of places where LR isn't the answer.
Really? But you accuse others, who obviously know the area and the job better, about being obsessive about heavy rail.

Here's a fascinating little fact for you: the annual usage of the Altrincham and Bury lines pre-conversion was 7.5 million, but by 1994 Metrolink was carrying up to 14 million. If the imposition of Metrolink and LR upon the good people of Manchester had turned people away from public transport, then I don't think we would have seen that. Clearly for normal people all that low-quality LR is actually very appealing.
But we aren't talking about Manchester and it's surroundings, but about Cardiff and South Wales!

Now why aren't I surprised by that!

B&I

Established Member
In my view, this is simply because they can't yet commit to those changes happening. They're working - in secret - with the SWM and W&B franchise bidders to get them worked out. They've produced maps to the effect of the minimum case, not the maximum. It looks like they're depending on the bidders to suggest tram-train technology and through running rather than mandating it themselves.

You are beginning to enter the realms of fantasy. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Welsh government are doig anything of the sort. If they are, why does the phase 2 map make no mebtion of this at all? Why wouldn't they be trumpetting their super-duper tram-train plans?

Your position would be more tenable if you could accept that you hace no real idea about what is happening in South Wales, and that even if LR was the best system in principle, therr are aspects of what is planned which will lead to a sub-optimal service, for thre multiple reasons described by other posters eho.live in South Wales and use these services. Instead, you make things up rathrr than admit that there might be a single conceivable thing erong with a light rail scheme.

Does Merseyrail magically provide enough capacity all the time? No. HR networks do not find it easier to provide capacity at the moments it's required, because the realistic capacity is set by everyday levels of demand and provision. LR makes it a lot easier to have a high capability even at times of low demand.

Yes, it really demonstrated that capability for the people standing on the Altrincham tram at 9 on Saturday night. I've got to say that I've seen a much higher proportion of Metrolink services I have used being full and standing than Merseryrail ones. I would dearly love to see Metrolink trying to cope with the crowds from the Grand National, or the frequent events on the Liverpool waterfront.

Could that be anything to do with the much higher capacity per unit, and the fact that, probably due to the sort of thinking of which you are so fond, there never seem to be enough double tram services?

Oh no. 8 minutes! That's just terrible! I mean, no one ever waits outside for 8 minutes at a bus stop, or at any reasonably modern low-ish-demand HR station. You know what would have been worse? Waiting for 15 minutes, on a line with a maximum 4tph service. HR doesn't mean plush waiting rooms.

But you are the one who argues that one of the virtues of light rail is that everything can be done as cheaply as possible eg lack of proper waiting facilities. There is no actual need for the waiting facilities at Metrolink stops to be so incredibly bad, but your whole argument is that it is an unacceptable waste of money to provide anything more than the most basic possible facilities, regardless of the effect this will have on the passengers, whom you seem to view as an irritsting obstacle to your main goal of running services as cheaply as possible.

Let's assume I was not a habitual public transport user without alternative.options, but a first-time user eho wanted to see this wondeful Metrolink about which I had heard so much. Let's assume it bucketed down for the 8 minutes I was sitting on an uncovered bench, hardly an unforeseeable event in Manchester. Would i be rushing to use the service again?

Here's a fascinating little fact for you: the annual usage of the Altrincham and Bury lines pre-conversion was 7.5 million, but by 1994 Metrolink was carrying up to 14 million. If the imposition of Metrolink and LR upon the good people of Manchester had turned people away from public transport, then I don't think we would have seen that. Clearly for normal people all that low-quality LR is actually very appealing.

And that was nothing at all to do with the extent to which the pre-existing services had bern run down, increased demand for transport in general, and changes in the city's economy? Or could it be to do with higher frequency services, which could have been provided on HR, and were up until the service was run down in the 60s?

Which is, I assume, why you are incapable of understanding why people who have a choice - ie most of the British population - use cars, rather than the low quality public transport which you seem to actively welcome.

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member

If the Welsh Government were planning to split the network operationally, they would have little reason not to go about the W&B franchise in an entirely normal way. If an operational split were guaranteed, they would be able to guarantee bidders for W&B that they would need to run the services to Penarth and Barry and Radyr. Why haven't they done this? Is it all a massive secret conspiracy?

Just how many times do you need to be told? Look at the documents released by Transport for Wales here https://tfw.gov.wales/projects/south-wales-metro or look again at this map

img_0775-png.42836

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No, ripping out or mothballing brand new, state of the art, upgraded signalling that WG themselves paid for. If that's not a scandal what is?

Who says it would be ripped out? Trams don't have to run on sight. Metrolink didn't for years, the main reason it is switching (at the expense of slightly reduced safety in terms of rear-end bumps, a few of which have happened recently) is to increase capacity.

I think what the two main "anti-tram" people are doing is considering that there is basically nothing between a street tramway (think Blackpool as-was) and a heavy rail S-Bahn (think Merseyrail).

Have any of the anti-tram people actually used Metrolink, probably being the best example of a hybrid even if the trams themselves are a bit rubbish? (Apart from the obvious AnsaldoBreda quality issue I think most people would probably say the old ones were a bit better).

Chester1

Established Member
Oh no. 8 minutes! That's just terrible! I mean, no one ever waits outside for 8 minutes at a bus stop, or at any reasonably modern low-ish-demand HR station. You know what would have been worse? Waiting for 15 minutes, on a line with a maximum 4tph service. HR doesn't mean plush waiting rooms.

I agree thats one of the least convincing criticisms of light rail I have seen. Firstly the choice of Victoria over Piccadilly, which the Altrincham line never served as heavy rail but now does most of the day 6 days a week. Secondly complaining about waiting 8 minutes when the average wait on a 10tph service is 3 mins, 5tph 6 mins, 4tph 7.5 mins and 2tph 15 minutes. Its clearly one of the areas that light rail generally beats heavy rail relative to the cost of infrastructure.

A 50m 4 car 399 with doors in both middle cars would have approximately 100-115 seats. Doubled up they would barely exceed a 3 coach DMU.

Valleys capacity could be improved from 9th December by obtaining 144s going off lease. a Pontypridd-Central-Queen Street-Caerphilly using the new terminating platforms would require 3 units for a 2tph service. It is not a long term solution but would work for a year.

daikilo

Established Member
I'm not sure what they call them on hybrid systems like Metrolink.

Well, they are currently called stations so, as none presumably will be rebuilt to reduce platform height, they will remain stations whatever politicians want to call them.

HowardGWR

Established Member
My point was (is) that the proposed stations at Wedal Rd, Crwys Road, and Gadalfa are in city areas where car ownership could be expected to be low. I thought up the first and the last locations also because they were on the ring road and thus they could do with car parking, multi storey if space is limited. I don't even know the areas, just looked at the map, so it seemed to me literally a no-brainer. I doubt if residents will care what you call the trains. It's the services they require.

gareth950

Who says it would be ripped out? Trams don't have to run on sight. Metrolink didn't for years, the main reason it is switching (at the expense of slightly reduced safety in terms of rear-end bumps, a few of which have happened recently) is to increase capacity.

I think what the two main "anti-tram" people are doing is considering that there is basically nothing between a street tramway (think Blackpool as-was) and a heavy rail S-Bahn (think Merseyrail).

Have any of the anti-tram people actually used Metrolink, probably being the best example of a hybrid even if the trams themselves are a bit rubbish? (Apart from the obvious AnsaldoBreda quality issue I think most people would probably say the old ones were a bit better).

The whole case for the 24tph frequencies on the Core Valleys has been made with trams running on LoS. If trams will be running using current signalling what's the point?
The main 'anti-tram' people live in Wales and understand the reality of what Welsh Govt & TfW are proposing. People living outside of Wales who are so enthusiastic about converting a network that they will never use, do not understsnd how the current network operates, what will be lost, the geography of the area, or the political reality of living in Wales.

I used the Metrolink and Edinburgh tram systems last summer. I was not impressed. Whilst the trams were shiny and new, journeys were painfully slow through the city centres and very unreliable. I was waiting 25 minutes for a tram that kept getting later and later, then 2 came along straight after each other. Like buses.
I was staying in Media City and it took 35 mins to get to Piccadily. That's the equivalent of Rhoose to Cardiff or Cogan to Treforest.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The whole case for the 24tph frequencies on the Core Valleys has been made with trams running on LoS. If trams will be running using current signalling what's the point?
The main 'anti-tram' people live in Wales and understand the reality of what Welsh Govt & TfW are proposing. People living outside of Wales who are so enthusiastic about converting a network that they will never use, do not understsnd how the current network operates, what will be lost, the geography of the area, or the political reality of living in Wales.

But I do know about living in Liverpool and Merseyrail, and about living in Manchester and Metrolink. And as I said I would be quite happy if the two swapped over, with Liverpool having street trams and Manchester an underground.

I used the Metrolink and Edinburgh tram systems last summer. I was not impressed. Whilst the trams were shiny and new, journeys were painfully slow through the city centres and very unreliable. I was waiting 25 minutes for a tram that kept getting later and later, then 2 came along straight after each other. Like buses.
I was staying in Media City and it took 35 mins to get to Piccadily. That's the equivalent of Rhoose to Cardiff or Cogan to Treforest.

Now try driving or going by bus. Manchester has terrible traffic congestion; 35 minutes to travel that distance is well within the realms of acceptability.

gareth950

Cardiff also has horrendous peak time traffic congestion. Which is trams should be kept off Cardiff's streets at all costs and the segregated HR network maintained.
There's a reason why the Cardiff local & Valleys network is one of the most reliable in the UK. Trains turn up on the minute when there's no signal failures or broken down trains. Signal failures are much less thanks to CASR, we just need the new trains.

Mr Apples

Cardiff also has horrendous peak time traffic congestion. Which is trams should be kept off Cardiff's streets at all costs and the segregated HR network maintained.
There's a reason why the Cardiff local & Valleys network is one of the most reliable in the UK. Trains turn up on the minute when there's no signal failures or broken down trains. Signal failures are much less thanks to CASR, we just need the new trains.
Hear Hear. Simple really.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Yes I agree, but those proposed city stations will be more socially inclusive, and although more stops, will still beat the road traffic times: a Cardiff Overground.

MarkyT

Established Member

I demonstrated up thread that the current 3 aspect signalling on the core network south of Pontipridd, with a design headway of under 2 minutes, could theoretically handle a non-stop frequency of around 30 tph on plain double track. As is usually the case, station reoccupation time and junctions are the limiting factor in any practical stopping service, and in the case of the higher branches, the single line sections. At particularly busy stations the concept of permissive working might be reintroduced to improve throughput over the 16tph limit through Queen Street, so a second service could begin to enter a platform before the previous departing one has completely vacated. The superior braking performance of LR derived units and their excellent all round visibility from the cab could possibly allow this without the all the complexities of a cab signalling overlay as required for normal HR operations on Thameslink or LUL. Special tram signal aspects could be added to the existing signals to allow this. Any remaining HR traffic on the line (freight, engineering, track machines) would have to be signalled by conventional aspects so would not be allowed to enter any sections permissively. LR vehicles could even be equipped with automotive inspired forward scanning radar and other sensors to help protect such movements, as detailed here:

https://newatlas.com/bosch-light-rail-braking/43193/
Bosch has developed a collision-detection system that not only warns a driver of an impending crash, but that applies the brakes and disengages the throttle to avoid the collision. What's new about this system is that it's made for light rail and will be tested on trams in Germany.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I demonstrated up thread that the current 3 aspect signalling on the core network south of Pontipridd, with a design headway of under 2 minutes, could theoretically handle a non-stop frequency of around 30 tph on plain double track. As is usually the case, station reoccupation time and junctions are the limiting factor in any practical stopping service, and in the case of the higher branches, the single line sections. At particularly busy stations the concept of permissive working might be reintroduced to improve throughput over the 16tph limit through Queen Street, so a second service could begin to enter a platform before the previous departing one has completely vacated. The superior braking performance of LR derived units and their excellent all round visibility from the cab could possibly allow this without the all the complexities of a cab signalling overlay as required for normal HR operations on Thameslink or LUL. Special tram signal aspects could be added to the existing signals to allow this. Any remaining HR traffic on the line (freight, engineering, track machines) would have to be signalled by conventional aspects so would not be allowed to enter any sections permissively. LR vehicles could even be equipped with automotive inspired forward scanning radar and other sensors to help protect such movements, as detailed here:

https://newatlas.com/bosch-light-rail-braking/43193/

Could the superior braking ability and sensors be provided on HR vehicles if desired?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Could the superior braking ability and sensors be provided on HR vehicles if desired?

Track brakes (and eddy current brakes) can be fitted to heavy rail trains; DB is a particular fan of the latter fitting them to almost everything. Of course if it's heavier it needs more energy to be dissipated to stop it.

B&I

Established Member
I agree thats one of the least convincing criticisms of light rail I have seen. Firstly the choice of Victoria over Piccadilly, which the Altrincham line never served as heavy rail but now does most of the day 6 days a week. Secondly complaining about waiting 8 minutes when the average wait on a 10tph service is 3 mins, 5tph 6 mins, 4tph 7.5 mins and 2tph 15 minutes. Its clearly one of the areas that light rail generally beats heavy rail relative to the cost of infrastructure.

The lack of shelter on the platform was perhaps slighlty more relevant to my criticism. It was Mister Metrolink who asked about the waiting time.

Last edited:

gareth950

At particularly busy stations the concept of permissive working might be reintroduced to improve throughput over the 16tph limit through Queen Street, so a second service could begin to enter a platform before the previous departing one has completely vacated.

Queen St & Central work like this already since CASR & extra platforms were built, with a train entering P4 whilst the train going north from P5 is leaving etc. 2 trains can leave P8 & 7 at Central heading west simultaneously (e.g. Barry service leaving P8, City line service leaving P7) thanks to extra track that was installed, again, surprise, as part of CASR.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The "average waiting time" for a 2tph service is not 15 minutes because people don't randomly turn up for a 2tph service, they plan their arrival. I suspect you have to get up to, or possibly beyond, 6tph before people don't think about when they leave home.

B&I

Established Member
Now try driving or going by bus. Manchester has terrible traffic congestion; 35 minutes to travel that distance is well within the realms of acceptability.

All that proves is that Manchester does not have a public transport system befitting a metropolitan area of 2.8 million people. If Metrolink is as wonderful as some claim, why do so many people still use their cars? Why isn't the system enabling people to move nore quickly than they can in peak traffic ? Is 35 minutes to travel 4.1 miles supposed to be impressive ?

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Queen St & Central work like this already since CASR & extra platforms were built, with a train entering P4 whilst the train going north from P5 is leaving etc. 2 trains can leave P8 & 7 at Central heading west simultaneously (e.g. Barry service leaving P8, City line service leaving P7)

I think MarkyT was specifically talking about same platform moves. But I know they already do some of this as quite often you'll see one service at the front of P6 at Central and another service at the rear.

gareth950

I think MarkyT was specifically talking about same platform moves. But I know they already do some of this as quite often you'll see one service at the front of P6 at Central and another service at the rear.
My point is that since the extra platforms at Queen St & Central have come into use, same platform moves for valley lines services are rarely needed as there are two platforms available in both directions at both stations. Although you do still see it at P6 & 7 at Central in the evenings and on Sundays when for some reason, P8 is not used, maybe due to staffing.

Last edited:

MarkyT

Established Member

My point is that since the extra platforms at Queen St & Central have come into use, same platform moves for valley lines services are rarely needed as there are two platforms available in both directions at both stations. Although you do still see it at P6 & 7 at Central in the evenings and on Sundays when for some reason, P8 is not used.

Unless Cardiff has some very special exemption, trains generally can't be signalled in and out at the same time due to 'Huddersfield controls' (widely applied since the 1990s). This feature, not named after an incident at Huddersfield, means that if a second train is signalled in under permissive, the forward train cannot depart until the rear one has fully entered the platform and stopped. Conversely, if the forward train has already been signalled out, then it must move completely clear of the section and overlap before the rear train is admitted on a non-permissive aspect. PP (permissive passenger) is not generally allowed for loaded passenger trains under normal circumstances, except for the purposes of joining, run round and in emergency. For light rail permissive as I suggested you'd need a separate aspect (a tram signal probably) that wasn't subject to Huddersfield. All platforms at Central are classified as PP. I expect the permissive feature is very useful for bringing in an empty from the depot behind one already loading. But the route ahead towards Queen St. cannot be set at the same time and the empty must come to a complete stop in the platform before the forward route can be set.

The two platform solution for each direction is good but awkward at Queen Street as trains alternate between different platforms in the same direction. It would be much more convenient if all Central bound trains could use two sides of the same island for instance.

Signalling controls named after locations:
http://reference.swindonpanel.org.uk/index.php/Signalling_Controls

NotATrainspott

Established Member

Only if the existing work actually needs to be ripped out. As MarkyT says, it may well be possible to run trams on top.

It does without wires.

Again, LR cannot run on other parts of the Cardiff rail network without wires, which are not planned. The only way NR will put up wires is if someone pays for it. It won't be DfT. It won't be Welsh Govt as they are throwing all infrastructure spending at the 'Core VL' and fantastically expensive road schemes. It won't be the ERDF. Who will it be?

And the plans for those wires would come about as a result of the franchising process.

Even if you run trams through to Central, you somehow have to segregate them from HR, and somehow also find mystery platforms to terminate at least 10tph (at current service levels without enhancements) from Penarth, Barry, the Vale, and the City line.

This is the thing. The problem you indicate would cost money to solve, and the problem itself would act as a dampener on the benefits of the whole scheme. When the government plans and wards the franchise, they have to account for these costs. When the money and contracts are being decided, there's no room for ambiguity. If 24tph or 10tph have to turn back in both directions in central Cardiff, there will be an infrastructure cost to be accounted for.

When I look at the plans, I can't see any way there would be a better business case for a split than there would be for 750V DC wires to go up to Radyr, Penarth and Barry Island. Any city centre turnback capacity will have an upfront infrastructure cost - the real upfront cost of the wires is therefore only the difference between its costs and the turnback costs. Turnbacks in city centre locations are rarely cheap, which is why services tend to be extended through to the other side. From this small-ish capital cost gap, there's then a big operational saving from using LR trains rather than HR.

You are beginning to enter the realms of fantasy. There is no evidence whatsoever that the Welsh government are doig anything of the sort. If they are, why does the phase 2 map make no mebtion of this at all? Why wouldn't they be trumpetting their super-duper tram-train plans?

Your position would be more tenable if you could accept that you hace no real idea about what is happening in South Wales, and that even if LR was the best system in principle, therr are aspects of what is planned which will lead to a sub-optimal service, for thre multiple reasons described by other posters eho.live in South Wales and use these services. Instead, you make things up rathrr than admit that there might be a single conceivable thing erong with a light rail scheme.[/QUOTE]

I expect it's because they don't want to plan an entire network around a technology which could be done, but isn't guaranteed.

Am I defending the system you're criticising? No. I'm saying that it's unlikely to happen that way, for a number of reasons. If I turn out to be wrong, then I'll dislike the real system as much as you do.

Yes, it really demonstrated that capability for the people standing on the Altrincham tram at 9 on Saturday night. I've got to say that I've seen a much higher proportion of Metrolink services I have used being full and standing than Merseryrail ones. I would dearly love to see Metrolink trying to cope with the crowds from the Grand National, or the frequent events on the Liverpool waterfront.

Isn't that a sign of success? If they're full and standing, then people clearly want to use the services. If they were useless then the crowding would discourage people from travelling.

Could that be anything to do with the much higher capacity per unit, and the fact that, probably due to the sort of thinking of which you are so fond, there never seem to be enough double tram services?

What stops there being extra double tram services? Are you arguing that HR would have meant longer trains at the same frequency?

But you are the one who argues that one of the virtues of light rail is that everything can be done as cheaply as possible eg lack of proper waiting facilities. There is no actual need for the waiting facilities at Metrolink stops to be so incredibly bad, but your whole argument is that it is an unacceptable waste of money to provide anything more than the most basic possible facilities, regardless of the effect this will have on the passengers, whom you seem to view as an irritsting obstacle to your main goal of running services as cheaply as possible.

Would passengers rather have somewhere marginally nicer to sit, or to get to where they want to go faster? People don't want to linger around transport systems. They want to get somewhere.

You know the aviation market demonstrates this perfectly. People want cheap and frequent. There is competitive pressure for airlines to go no-frills because people don't really care that much about a few hours of discomfort if the tickets are that much cheaper in the first place.

Let's assume I was not a habitual public transport user without alternative.options, but a first-time user eho wanted to see this wondeful Metrolink about which I had heard so much. Let's assume it bucketed down for the 8 minutes I was sitting on an uncovered bench, hardly an unforeseeable event in Manchester. Would i be rushing to use the service again?

Metrolink causes rain now. Lovely. As far as I'm aware, Metrolink stops typically have a canopy for some rain protection. People are pretty used to being out in the rain.

And that was nothing at all to do with the extent to which the pre-existing services had bern run down, increased demand for transport in general, and changes in the city's economy? Or could it be to do with higher frequency services, which could have been provided on HR, and were up until the service was run down in the 60s?

They couldn't have been provided on HR. They might have been possible with a cross-city tunnel but at much, much higher costs.

You argued that Metrolink is such a poor service that people in Manchester wouldn't use it. Clearly, people in Manchester do use Metrolink.

Which is, I assume, why you are incapable of understanding why people who have a choice - ie most of the British population - use cars, rather than the low quality public transport which you seem to actively welcome.

Not everyone in South Wales has access to a car, or wants to have one. Lots of people would rather use cheaper and more convenient public transport. A cleaner up in the Valleys might actually rather like having a direct LR service all the way to the place they work running early and late, rather than being dependent on an expensive and unreliable car.

Because that worked so well on XC!

It did. The problem is only when there's no mechanism to lengthen trains again, which has been the problem on XC due to the 125mph DMU issue.

You can have high-reliability LR services running on the segregated tracks and others running off onto certain streets. One combined system can satisfy most transport requirements in and around Cardiff. That's efficiency.

Only realistically by becoming an LR vehicle. At that point, street running only requires some plastic fairings around the underside to keep pedestrians safe.