• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
If they wired canton depot it's a pity we couldn't find some paths on the relief lines to runn a shuttle service between Severn tunnel junction and Cardiff central using some class 319's to take pressure off other long distance services especially during peak times

Envoy

Established Member
I take it that the overhead work done thus far has taken account of a new station at St.Mellons and that nothing will have to be moved to insert the platforms? It would be crazy to have to go to the expense of tearing down the new catenary in order to build the new station.

Cardiff123

Established Member
I take it that the overhead work done thus far has taken account of a new station at St.Mellons and that nothing will have to be moved to insert the platforms? It would be crazy to have to go to the expense of tearing down the new catenary in order to build the new station.
Do you honestly think that has happened? :lol:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
As it's a four-track section I'd guess at least one track will need moving to build St Mellons. Unless that's already been done, the amount of provision that's possible is limited by the need to build the OLE above where the tracks are now. The only option would be to set the supports back far enough to clear the re-aligned track(s) and build a tremendously long cantilever or portal to locate the wires in the current track position.

It’s not been factored in. Track, masts and wires will have to move soon.

The Canton depot is going to be wired (well part of it) as part of the valley line improvements.

Envoy

Established Member
It’s not been factored in. Track, masts and wires will have to move soon..

Well, that is CRAZY. The Welsh Government announce plans for a new railway station at St.Mellons whilst at the same time, Network Rail proceed with putting up the new electrification equipment that takes no account of such a station. No wonder we have such cost over runs! (The westbound relief should have been moved over first at the intended location).

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Presumably that would require land purchase and potentially whatever is needed for compulsory purchase of the land. I don’t think there would be any appetite to spend the money and delay completion of the electrification project for something that up until now has not been a confirmed project.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Going outside the railway boundary normally needs a TWA order, and we all know how long those can take. I don't think slewing a bit of track and replacing a handful of OLE supports is a big part of the cost of the station, but the track part would be an identifiable extra spend that can't be hidden in an existing budget, so someone would have to find a source of funding in advance of the main project.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Going outside the railway boundary normally needs a TWA order, and we all know how long those can take. I don't think slewing a bit of track and replacing a handful of OLE supports is a big part of the cost of the station, but the track part would be an identifiable extra spend that can't be hidden in an existing budget, so someone would have to find a source of funding in advance of the main project.

Or depending on the location of the masts, just build the platform around them - that's exactly what they did when the 12-car extensions were added at Bletchley.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Or depending on the location of the masts, just build the platform around them - that's exactly what they did when the 12-car extensions were added at Bletchley.
Not sure if that would work here. If a platform needs to be inserted between existing tracks then at least one track will have to move by a platform width, which is more than the track spacing. So any supports placed next to that track will be blocking the path of the re-aligned track. I guess it's just possible that the track will be so far on the other side that the support can be re-used with the bracket on the other side, but new supports will be easier than trying to achieve that.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Doubling of tracks. I wonder if wholesale or just more passing loops?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-45732233

some more in depth detail here
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/south-wales-metro-project-gets-15234116
  • £21.1m for the Merthyr line for track doubling between Merthyr Tydfil and Pentrebach, and between Merthyr Vale and Quakers Yard. New platforms will be constructed to accommodate the track doubling, with an improved interchange at Merthyr Tydfil station, new ramped access at Pentrebach and a new platform and footbridge at Quakers Yard.
  • £27.4m for the Treherbert line to allow sufficient infrastructure works along the full length of the line, including track doubling from north of Ynyswen to the south of Treorchy and north of Llwynypia to south of Dinas. The scheme also includes new platforms.
  • £23.7m for the Aberdare line for track doubling, new platform construction and other infrastructure work to allow the service to be increased to four trains per hour along the full length of the line from Abercynon to Aberdare. Track doubling will take place between Aberdare and Cwmbach, Fernhill and Penrhiwceiber, and north of Abercynon. The scheme includes a new platform, new step-free access and new waiting rooms at Aberdare, and an enhanced interchange at Abercynon.
  • £19.5m for the Rhymney line to undertake track doubling south of Rhymney, north of Tir Phil and around Bargoed. The funding will also be used for other infrastructure work to allow the service to be increased to four trains per hour and provide new platforms, including step-free access and a new waiting room at Rhymney.
  • £27.3m will also be allocated towards the £50m Taff’s Well depot scheme. The depot will house tram trains. Trimodes, which will switch

However the big thing to note is that they did not have all the funding in place when they announced the winner in June!

Markdvdman

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Interchange at Merthyr? Being a terminus unless the build new lines can only be in connection with buses surely?
As the Metro covers buses as well, interchange between the two is important. Heads of the Valleys is one of the major links that will be done with buses and presumably will interchange with trains at Merthyr.

Markdvdman

As the Metro covers buses as well, interchange between the two is important. Heads of the Valleys is one of the major links that will be done with buses and presumably will interchange with trains at Merthyr.

I gather that, BUT it will take some major work as Tesco bought the site of what was once a LOT of space which I remember well!!!! Now, there is hardly any and the so called new bus station will be at the site of the old police station, but there is no leeway for direct buses between them in terms of an 'Interchange'. Would love to see how they get around it!

uxm

Are all the busses in the valleys and south wales getting metro branding?

Cardiff123

Established Member
Are all the busses in the valleys and south wales getting metro branding?
I doubt it very much, seeing as buses in South Wales are run by a mixture of private and public operators (the public ones being Cardiff Bus and Newport Bus) and at present TfW has no control over bus operations in Wales.
That may change when Welsh Govt finally get the power to push through re-regulation of Welsh bus services.

MarkyT

Established Member
I gather that, BUT it will take some major work as Tesco bought the site of what was once a LOT of space which I remember well!!!! Now, there is hardly any and the so called new bus station will be at the site of the old police station, but there is no leeway for direct buses between them in terms of an 'Interchange'. Would love to see how they get around it!

The new bus station will be a slightly shorter walk than the old one, about 200m from the rail bufferstops, with a simpler access route via the stairs and ramps to Masonic St. then across High St. to Swan St. A two or or three minute walk I guess and no need for a shuttle link between the two. See map below:
Green = old bus station. Red = new bus station. Blue = rail. Pink = pedestrian routes.

Merthyr.jpg

Markdvdman

The new bus station will be a slightly shorter walk than the old one, about 200m from the rail bufferstops, with a simpler access route via the stairs and ramps to Masonic St. then across High St. to Swan St. A two or or three minute walk I guess and no need for a shuttle link between the two. See map below:
Green = old bus station. Red = new bus station. Blue = rail. Pink = pedestrian routes.

View attachment 53393

I am well aware of that as I am from Merthyr and walk past that way often. The big problem on the step access is the drunks that languish there at times. Also, a decent interchange needs to be seemless for me. Also, will there be late buses? I doubt it as most buses stop around 6pm which was because of the yobs in the first place! Hoping it works well, will just have to see.

David Lewis

A bus interchange was built right next to the railway station some years back. Hardly any buses ever used it - possibly because it's too small. I've always said that Tesco was built in the wrong place. The bus station should have moved to Station Yard and the old Tesco's allowed to expand into the vacated bus station. The road network is more robust around Castle Street. The neighbourhood around Station Yard is now frequently gridlocked with some of the highest nitrogen oxide pollution levels in the country. Very short-sighted planning by the local council.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Apparently there is a presentation about the Metro taking place today

https://twitter.com/ccrcitydeal/status/1049247096547762176?s=21

The room is filling up for the second session of #MetroAndMe, which will see a panel of experts including Chair of Regional Transport Authority @HuwJDavidCC discuss what the Metro means for the Valleys.

I must admit I hadn't heard of the Regional Transport Authority before.

uxm

upload_2018-10-17_17-56-35.png

This blog post seems interesting although not sure if all of this is confirmed but it states that metro vehicles were not allowed on the Rhymney line as the battery power isn't sufficient for the gradient and that regenerative braking will be the main source of power for the batteries.

https://anonw.com/2018/06/06/the-greening-of-the-valleys/

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Can you give some context to this screenshot? It looks a bit like a Q&A session, but it isn't clear who's providing the answers.

You also need to be aware that several blind forum members access the forum using screen readers, which can't process images. (And then there's those browsing on limited bandwith, unable to load pictures, etc.) For those people, your post will just appear to be an empty void.

Because of this, it's forum policy to caption or explain images in your posts, so as to make conversations accessible to all. (As your picture is a picture of text, a transcript would be even better. ;)

uxm

Can you give some context to this screenshot? It looks a bit like a Q&A session, but it isn't clear who's providing the answers.

You also need to be aware that several blind forum members access the forum using screen readers, which can't process images. (And then there's those browsing on limited bandwith, unable to load pictures, etc.) For those people, your post will just appear to be an empty void.

Because of this, it's forum policy to caption or explain images in your posts, so as to make conversations accessible to all. (As your picture is a picture of text, a transcript would be even better. ;)
Mistake , there was supposed to be text ill fix that now!

Cardiff123

Established Member
View attachment 53920

This blog post seems interesting although not sure if all of this is confirmed but it states that metro vehicles were not allowed on the Rhymney line as the battery power isn't sufficient for the gradient and that regenerative braking will be the main source of power for the batteries.

https://anonw.com/2018/06/06/the-greening-of-the-valleys/

That website is not an authoritative source. It's the opinions and speculation of an anonymous blogger who is piecing together the information that is already in the public domain. Several things that they write are factually incorrect. E.g. they say that Class 170s will be used on the Rhymney line from next year and that the Citylink Metro vehicles won't be calling at Cardiff Central, with Treherbert Citylink vehicles terminating at Queen Street.
2tph from each of Merthyr, Treherbert and Aberdare will be continuing to Cardiff Central as now, with the other 2tph from each of the heads going to the Bay.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
The 170s are expected to be helping out around Cardiff in the short term, though, aren't they? I can't remember off-hand whether they're pencilled in for Rhymney, Maesteg, Ebbw or Cheltenham srevices, though.