• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
There are images of the Flourish statement and it was in the final invitation to tender.
So you mean the Wales Millennium Centre in the Bay, not the Millennium (now Principality) Stadium in front of Central station.
There's a pretty big difference between the two locations.
Again, the only thing that's confirmed and costed in the Bay is a new station at Loudon Square and The Flourish. Anything else is hope and aspiration.

Envoy

Established Member
I am all for providing the best public transport system and see rail as the best way for shifting large numbers of people efficiently. Like the majority on this post, I was alarmed at the prospect of seeing the streets of Cardiff dug up for a tram system that would also operate over the present local rail network. As Gareth Marston has pointed out - everything in the centre of the city is within a 10 minute walk of a railway station. However, where I disagree with Gareth and others is on the situation regarding roads.

In the early 1990’s warnings were given that the M4 would be jammed at Newport due to the 2 lane each way tunnel at a very busy point on the M4. Rhodri Morgan came to power and threw out the previous Conservative Party proposals for a south of Newport new M4. He said that a lot of traffic was going to Cwmbran - hence the building of a new road above the eastern portal of the tunnel. Whilst that has proved useful, it has not addressed the main problem with the M4 around Newport. So, here we are, all these years later and we constantly have massive jams on this section of the M4. I fully support the Black Route for a south of Newport M4 and had Rhodri Morgan not cancelled it back in the 90’s, it would have been built for far less than the present price and today, we would probably have had a fresh load of money to spend on the so called Metro. I also realise that vast amounts of money have been poured into the Clydach gorge section the A465 west of Gilwern. The A465 has been notorious for accidents and I fully support the dualling of this highway. The M4 around Newport also has a high accident rate due to the high volume of traffic and its hilly and twisting nature. Failure to build a new M4 to the south is going to result in more deaths and the delays will impact the economy across the whole of southern Wales. Labour’s spending on highways has not been good. Witness the fact that they have still not built the Eastern Bay Link in SE Cardiff and when they built the recent 1 mile bit, they did not build a flyover to take through traffic coming out of the Butetown tunnel - as was originally intended.

I note that the Newport section of the M4 would be carrying east-west traffic. Whilst I am pleased to see the new Hitachi Inter City Express Trains enter service, I note that trains to be used on the Cardiff > Bristol > Bath > Salisbury > Southampton > Portsmouth route will see a downgrade from 158’s to old Thames Turbo commuter trains (165/6’s). Whilst these will offer more seats (jammed in as 5 across) and become 5 coach trains, they are hardly the wonderful trains that one would expect to link these major cities and induce traffic off the roads.
Likewise, Cross Country will no doubt continue to use inadequate 2 or 3 coach 170’s on the Cardiff > Newport > Gloucester > Birmingham > Nottingham route. These will be even more overcrowded (& slower) once the new Worcester Parkway station opens.( At one time, south Wales had direct Inter City Trains that continued to the north-east).

If the Welsh Government fail to give the go-ahead to the black route M4, it will be electoral suicide - even in Labour heartlands. You can monitor the traffic on the M4 at Newport by clicking this link:>
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5751314,-2.9345584,13z/data=!5m1!1e1

Gareth Marston

Established Member
If the Welsh Government fail to give the go-ahead to the black route M4, it will be electoral suicide - even in Labour heartlands.

Just because something is perceived as popular doesn't mean its the right thing to do or the best thing for those who think its the right thing to do. If the only argument to build this road is that South Walian road users need patting on the head and told something they want to hear then in some ways the people of South Wales will deserve to be left even further behind modern city regions that have fully functioning urban transit networks around them.

uxm

So you mean the Wales Millennium Centre in the Bay, not the Millennium (now Principality) Stadium in front of Central station.
There's a pretty big difference between the two locations.
Again, the only thing that's confirmed and costed in the Bay is a new station at Loudon Square and The Flourish. Anything else is hope and aspiration.
There are images: upload_2018-11-9_14-16-30.png

Llanigraham

Established Member
Right in front of the Millenium stadium the network will expand further.

Really??
I have seen no mention of this in any of the publications. Perhaps you could provide a link to this "proposal"?

krus_aragon

Established Member
There are indeed images, and the planned light rail extension to the Wales Milennium Centre is well known and undisputed. But when you said:
Right in front of the Millenium stadium the network will expand further.

Both Cardiff123 and I (possibly others) thought you were talking about the rugby stadium next to Cardiff Central. Now you've cleared it up, though.

uxm

There are indeed images, and the planned light rail extension to the Wales Milennium Centre is well known and undisputed. But when you said:

Both Cardiff123 and I (possibly others) thought you were talking about the rugby stadium next to Cardiff Central. Now you've cleared it up, though.
I got really confused I thought you were disputing the existence of the Flourish Station.

uxm

My bad I accidentally said Stadium instead of Centre.

uxm

There are plans to extend the network in the future as states by Ken Skates : "The Metro Vehicles will use a technology often referred to as Tram-Train. They will operate under Heavy Rail regulations on conventional railway, but will be capable of use in Light Rail (or Tram) mode for extendibility. To ensure all bidders offered a future–proof solution from the outset, the contract requires a short section of on-street running in Cardiff Bay. This is intended as a trial with a view to utilising this increasing flexibility to then expand the network in future."

Sorry to go around in circles:

These are the new stations:

Brand new

Gabalfa
Flourish - Will replace Cardiff Bay and has been hinted at being called Cardiff Bay - because no one knows what/where "The Flourish" is
Loudoun Square
Cardiff Parkway - Whilst happening, is being paid for by the private sector, so not technically part of the metro.
Miskin - *
Crwys Road
Llanwern - *
Relocated
Treforest Estate

* Have those been confirmed? A station on Newport Road and Ely Mill were considered at the same time, I've not seen anything concrete since this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39733717

Cardiff123

Established Member
Sorry to go around in circles:

* Have those been confirmed? A station on Newport Road and Ely Mill were considered at the same time, I've not seen anything concrete since this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-39733717
We are going round in circles now. The stations you highlight have not been confirmed.
uxm is obviously not understanding what we're trying to say in distinguishing between politicians rhetoric on future extensions and in reality what has actually been costed for, planned and confirmed as happening.

S-Bahn

Here's my thoughts on the Cardiff area Metro - totally wishful thinking! (Valley lines services, Maesteg line and Ebbw Vale line).

1. Ignore the current proposal entirely.
2. Electrify all the routes and use 4 car EMU's equivalent to Class 350/Class 700 Desiro. If no electrification is not taking place, go diesel in the interim with 4 car 150's/175's/modified 319's until feasible Hydrogen powered trains are readily available.
3. Carry on with the extension from Cardiff Bay station into the bay and use a tram train, but keep it as it's existing closed line to Queen Street.
4. Add a Swansea to Bristol TM/Weston SM hourly service, or extend the existing Cardiff to Taunton service.
5. Preferably have an electric shuttle service between Wales and Bristol TM.
6. Demolish Pontypridd station and rebuild it with 4 through platforms and 1 bay platform. There is room for the lines to merge to 3 south of Ponty station and have a passing loop between Pontypridd and Treforest for extra resilience.

With all the new office developments around Cardiff Central and Bristol TM, it's clearly the case that increasing number of people will be looking to commute to these locations.

Last edited:

uxm

Here's my thoughts on the Cardiff area Metro - totally wishful thinking! (Valley lines services, Maesteg line and Ebbw Vale line).

2. Electrify all the routes and use 4 car EMU's equivalent to Class 350/Class 700 Desiro. If no electrification is not taking place, go diesel in the interim with 4 car 150's/175's/modified 319's until feasible Hydrogen powered trains are readily available.
3. Carry on with the extension from Cardiff Bay station into the bay and use a tram train, but keep it as it's existing closed line to Queen Street.
4. Add a Swansea to Bristol TM/Weston SM hourly service, or extend the existing Cardiff to Taunton service.

With all the new office developments around Cardiff Central and Bristol TM, it's clearly the case that increasing number of people will be looking to commute to these locations.
Would've been good if electrification didn't get cancelled between Cardiff and Swansea.

krus_aragon

Established Member
6. Demolish Pontypridd station and rebuild it with 4 through platforms and 1 bay platform. There is room for the lines to merge to 3 south of Ponty station and have a passing loop between Pontypridd and Treforest for extra resilience.
Argh, no!!! o_O

I have a soft spot for Pontypridd station's architecture. If you were suggesting restoring the station to something like its previous island layout, I'd be supporting you all the way. ;)

(I'm guessing that your suggestion of extra through lines is to deal with out-of-course running due to late running trains, like at Queen Street. Am I right?)

uxm

Argh, no!!! o_O

I have a soft spot for Pontypridd station's architecture. If you were suggesting restoring the station to something like its previous island layout, I'd be supporting you all the way. ;)

(I'm guessing that your suggestion of extra through lines is to deal with out-of-course running due to late running trains, like at Queen Street. Am I right?)
It doesn't need that many platforms. I believe the current tram-train and FLIRT plans are more than we could imagine.

uxm

These plans are horrible and even MTR who messed up their bid wouldn't even do that. It would be an instant loss.

MarkyT

Established Member
Pontypridd station is a Grade 2 listed building. Good luck with demolishing that! -
https://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/listedbuilding/FullReport?lang=en&id=13525
Name of Property : Pontypridd Railway Station Main Platform including buildings and canopy
The High Street bridge under the railway is also listed -
https://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/listedbuilding/FullReport?lang=en&id=13526
Name of Property : Railway Bridge beneath Pontypridd Railway Station

uxm

There are no rail lines pre existing or planned "in front of the Milenium stadium" as it was renamed the Principlaity Stadium ;)
No, I already corrected it in a newer post, I accidentally said stadium instead of centre.

S-Bahn

Argh, no!!! o_O

As a former regular commuter from that station it was clearly designed for a different era, purpose, and should be replaced and upgraded on the basis that it's at an important junction. You're correct regarding the purpose of the extra lines!

S-Bahn

These plans are horrible and even MTR who messed up their bid wouldn't even do that. It would be an instant loss.

Why? The main concern of myself and fellow commuters is the capacity of the trains and requiring extra coaches particularly at peak times. Most of the time, the frequency of the service isn't an issue (certainly not between Cardiff and Ponty).

I don't consider a tram-train with no toilet to be an upgrade even for a freight wagon with a British Leyland bus welded to it (you can tell I really hate the pacers!)..

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Why? The main concern of myself and fellow commuters is the capacity of the trains and requiring extra coaches particularly at peak times. Most of the time, the frequency of the service isn't an issue (certainly not between Cardiff and Ponty).

I don't consider a tram-train with no toilet to be an upgrade even for a freight wagon with a British Leyland bus welded to it (you can tell I really hate the pacers!)..

but there a better standing environment than a Pacer ......but people thought they'd said specifically they wanted a seat.....

uxm

The Taff valley needed light rail extensive studies showed this, the CityLinks are only on the taff valleys and were needed and are better than heavy rail for the area.

Cardiff123

Established Member
The Taff valley needed light rail extensive studies showed this, the CityLinks are only on the taff valleys and were needed and are better than heavy rail for the area.
When stating things as fact or making claims on these forums, it would be really helpful if you could provide weblinks to evidence / news stories to back up your claims and arguments. This does not include Wikipedia.
E.g. in this case, provide links to the 'extensive studies' that claim that the Taff Valleys need 'light rail' and that the City Link Metro Vehicles will be 'better' than the Stadler FLIRTS the Rhymney Valley is getting.

Without evidence to back up your claims, your statements are just your own opinions.