• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales Prservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshZ

I have a simple question, why is does there seem to be a lack of heritage operation in south wales? I know there is the short section of line down by barry but it is that-short and the garw valley railway is still a few years off being operational yet. I would have thought with the amount of spare trackbed and even track in situ on the lines after the mines where closed that they would be ripe to turn into a heritage railway(s)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I have a simple question, why is does there seem to be a lack of heritage operation in south wales? I know there is the short section of line down by barry but it is that-short and the garw valley railway is still a few years off being operational yet. I would have thought with the amount of spare trackbed and even track in situ on the lines after the mines where closed that they would be ripe to turn into a heritage railway(s)?

Some reasons could be lack of funds and perhaps everyone is concentrating on getting lines such as the Garw Valley branch up and running.

The Garw Valley line will be brilliant once it is open and the volunteers there do seem to be trying their hardest to get everything operational.

Chris125

Established Member
You generally find heritage railways, especially the most successful ones, in areas popular with tourists. Given the relative lack of tourism in South Wales, there is a relative lack of lines.

That said, the Gwili, Pontypool & Blaenavon and Dean Forest are in the area and various lines are proposed or in the early stages of development - whether they succeed only time will tell, the current economic climate isnt exactly helping...

Chris

WelshZ

Ahhh I see, being a reisdent of the rhondda I can understand the lack of tourists with the Heritage park being a forgotten museam surviving on council money and school contracts at this point. No insult intended to the staff but it could be marketed better by RCT and it does not help that as a mining museam it can be a bit dissapointing not going underground and seeing the mine itself. I remember when I was in primary about ten years ago that a trip would be to big pit and not the heritage park as big pit was seen as "better" and with the new heritage operation there by the Pontypool and Blaenavon I can see the numbers dropping further for the heritage park as it becomes a even more attractive place than what it already is

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.