• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlberry

Established Member
Having read that the Welsh government was trying to get services back to normal I decided to make my first, bus related, visit into Wales since March. Being fairly local and having a Welsh wife this was an unusually long absence. What I didn't realise was that, even after the Welsh government finally agreed to fund some bus services, it had not all kicked in yet.

Swansea appear to be about 70% of what I'd expect with First having it's (recently acquired) double deck fleet out as much as possible. And (from a Bristol perspective) it felt odd having so many Darts still in service.

Cardiff continues with it's master plan to banish bus services completely with a major road closed and massive disturbance to the bus services that were using it (however a large part of it is given over to a cycle road that could have accommodated the bus services). Perhaps having the local bus operator owned by the local authority that decided to close the road meant that there where few objections! It felt like less than 50% of services were operating here.
Lots of the bus stops in Cardiff have 'next bus' boards all of which suggested looking at a website to find out what was going on. Perhaps at some point in the future it might be possible to link these electronic devices via some sort of radio/electromagmatic wave system (yet to be devised) to a central store of timetable information (perhaps stored on electronic equipment instead of paper) whereby the board can broadcast information about the bus service itself. However this might encourage people to use the buses, so it'll never catch on and I realise all of this is the kind of thing that programs like 'Tomorrow's World' refers to but never gets delivered. It's nice to see so much money spent on hardware without the commitment to actually make it useful to people.

I believe Newport is still in lock down, and perhaps I shouldn't have been there! The rail station had plenty of signs about being only for essential users, the 'Stagecoach' part of the bus station was often completely empty and the 'Newport Council' part of the bus station usually had more buses parked up than actually on service. I suspect it would have had more services on a Sunday pre lock down. One bus departed to a new housing estate called 'Fflecsi' with nobody on it, however this is apparently the only place that the Welsh Government is interested in providing services to at the moment!

With all the reduced services everywhere the most surprising part was to find that Stagecoach and Anslow, in their fight for the X24/24X traffic, have decided that it's in every bodies interest that they run a reduced timetable, however they both still leave Newport at the same time and duplicate each other on the route. At least both of the services had passengers on. I later escaped across the bridge (thankfully not being subject to any last minute quarantine changes) to a place which appears to believe in public transport more than a Labour led government. It really is odd finding somewhere that feels that public transport is less important than a far right Conservative government!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Having read that the Welsh government was trying to get services back to normal I decided to make my first, bus related, visit into Wales since March. Being fairly local and having a Welsh wife this was an unusually long absence. What I didn't realise was that, even after the Welsh government finally agreed to fund some bus services, it had not all kicked in yet.

Swansea appear to be about 70% of what I'd expect with First having it's (recently acquired) double deck fleet out as much as possible. And (from a Bristol perspective) it felt odd having so many Darts still in service.

Cardiff continues with it's master plan to banish bus services completely with a major road closed and massive disturbance to the bus services that were using it (however a large part of it is given over to a cycle road that could have accommodated the bus services). Perhaps having the local bus operator owned by the local authority that decided to close the road meant that there where few objections! It felt like less than 50% of services were operating here.
Lots of the bus stops in Cardiff have 'next bus' boards all of which suggested looking at a website to find out what was going on. Perhaps at some point in the future it might be possible to link these electronic devices via some sort of radio/electromagmatic wave system (yet to be devised) to a central store of timetable information (perhaps stored on electronic equipment instead of paper) whereby the board can broadcast information about the bus service itself. However this might encourage people to use the buses, so it'll never catch on and I realise all of this is the kind of thing that programs like 'Tomorrow's World' refers to but never gets delivered. It's nice to see so much money spent on hardware without the commitment to actually make it useful to people.

I believe Newport is still in lock down, and perhaps I shouldn't have been there! The rail station had plenty of signs about being only for essential users, the 'Stagecoach' part of the bus station was often completely empty and the 'Newport Council' part of the bus station usually had more buses parked up than actually on service. I suspect it would have had more services on a Sunday pre lock down. One bus departed to a new housing estate called 'Fflecsi' with nobody on it, however this is apparently the only place that the Welsh Government is interested in providing services to at the moment!

With all the reduced services everywhere the most surprising part was to find that Stagecoach and Anslow, in their fight for the X24/24X traffic, have decided that it's in every bodies interest that they run a reduced timetable, however they both still leave Newport at the same time and duplicate each other on the route. At least both of the services had passengers on. I later escaped across the bridge (thankfully not being subject to any last minute quarantine changes) to a place which appears to believe in public transport more than a Labour led government. It really is odd finding somewhere that feels that public transport is less important than a far right Conservative government!

Just come home from 12 days visiting Cardiff and all the places in South Wales you visited and more (Cwmbran/Abergavenny/Pontypridd/Cardiff/Newport) and partially agree. All Cardiff Bus services I caught (mainly the 17/18/57/15) were uncomfortably full due to the reduced timetable - bus services in Newport seemed non existent and TFW rail services were poor with pacers still running and limited stop (even with minimal passengers) services. Coming home to Scotland seemed like a return to normality in comparison to the situation in south wales.

anthony263

Established Member
Services in Pontypridd have been ramped up again from last Monday although local services 103/104/105/107 are still at reduced frequency although passengers are requesting services be ramped up back to near pre lockdown frequency especially the 103 service.

tramboy

It felt like less than 50% of services were operating here.

Welsh Gov't ramp up funding commenced on 1st September, with fairly strict terms on what they would agree to fund in terms of extra services, and some applications being rejected in the first instance. It was also concluded at fairly short notice (Wednesday before the Bank Holiday!) so some operators haven't yet had chance to ramp up. First, Cardiff bus and NAT/Adventure Travel managed to start on 1st September, back at roughly 80% of previous overall levels. Of course, in Cardiff it seems more disjointed as thanks to Castle Street being shut services are scattered across the City. Newport Bus also ramped up, but their focus seemed to be more on the large school fleet, as some of the increased normal service timetables still look a bit low to me!

Stagecoach start their ramp up from today, by reintroducing the first Sunday services since March, and then most other areas increase from tomorrow, although some not until 13th September.

Lots of the bus stops in Cardiff have 'next bus' boards all of which suggested looking at a website to find out what was going on. Perhaps at some point in the future it might be possible to link these electronic devices via some sort of radio/electromagmatic wave system (yet to be devised) to a central store of timetable information (perhaps stored on electronic equipment instead of paper) whereby the board can broadcast information about the bus service itself.

Cardiff's real time system is obsolete - it either needs ripping out or replacing. It can't cope with regular changes to timetables, and having seen it with my own eyes, the information in the signs is updated by a man with a laptop, rather than by radio! It is, in fact, probably better for customers that the paper timetables have/are being updated and the display refers you to that at the moment!

All Cardiff Bus services I caught (mainly the 17/18/57/15) were uncomfortably full due to the reduced timetable.

Hopefully the return to more like a normal headway (5 minutely on 17/18) will get the capacity back in there. I've always thought that if you run a bus past people then they are more likely to use it the more often they see it - that's been lacking in Wales until this week, so the real test for the industry and Welsh Gov't as to how they want to support it starts now, with schools going back in greater volumes from Monday will we see the roads clogged with cars or some actual patronage growth on public transport?

anthony263

Established Member
Doesn't help that tfw only gave nat 3 days notice if funding etc including extension of service 106 ynysybwl to pontypridd now to parc nantgarw xxxxxx

In pontypridd the buses do seem to be getting busier and we are getting passengers requesting extra services. Surprised people in pontypridd bus station seeing a stagecoach bus on a sunday for first time since march.

I've been driving the 112 Nantgarw-Old Ynysybwl via pontypridd and glyncoch service and all buses have been carrying very healthy loads.
Im driving down the vale of glamorgan tommorow on the 320/321 services. Be interesting to see how demand has picked up especially with an hourly 321 service now.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
All very interesting. My trip to South Wales last month was similarly illuminating especially with the frequencies being enjoyed then. The behaviour of the WG is certainly intriguing.

I had the excitement of getting off the bus in Risca; something not doable now with the Caerphilly lockdown. I guess you can enjoy a trip on the X15 or 56 and witness the lockdown from inside an e200.

anthony263

Established Member
More improvements are expected shortly. The new crosscity livery on the C8 buses is turning heads

anthony263

Established Member
In places like taff wells yes couple of curios people yesterday seeing me drive one of the all red liveried enviro 200s we had from Metroline .
The pontypridd services have started to pick up again even the last 130 from Pontypridd to Blaencwm and back on a sunday had 8 people on leaving pontypridd bus station Sunday night now stagecoach have started Sunday services again.

Service C8 timetable and route being changed from 16th September to serve Greyfriars road in Cardiff.

Don't worry south wales bus bandit aka mr Jones has been looking g at making g his return especially now his son has sold nat group off.
Could we be witnessing shamrocks return.

Certainly us drivers know mr jones has many friends in Glyncoch and Ynysybwl and we've been expecting one of them to have another go running buses around pontypridd again.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
In places like taff wells yes couple of curios people yesterday seeing me drive one of the all red liveried enviro 200s we had from Metroline .
The pontypridd services have started to pick up again even the last 130 from Pontypridd to Blaencwm and back on a sunday had 8 people on leaving pontypridd bus station Sunday night now stagecoach have started Sunday services again.

Service C8 timetable and route being changed from 16th September to serve Greyfriars road in Cardiff.

Don't worry south wales bus bandit aka mr Jones has been looking g at making g his return especially now his son has sold nat group off.
Could we be witnessing shamrocks return.

Certainly us drivers know mr jones has many friends in Glyncoch and Ynysybwl and we've been expecting one of them to have another go running buses around pontypridd again.

Mr Big, AKA Clayton Jones making a return to the bus industry................................ okay :rolleyes:

anthony263

Established Member
Depends if clayton actually does actually go through with whats he's said. My personal opinion theres more chance of Kevin Jones running buses here again

gerbils too busy playing with 218

anthony263

Established Member
Service C8 is starting to pick up although its been hit recently by local lockdown in Rct and people are worried about doing out although yesterday our buses around Pontypridd were quite well used

carlberry

Established Member
A flying visit to Newport today (whilst it was still possible) found the new electrics all at the depot, as well as a lot of the rest of the fleet. Even on a weekday there only appears to be able half the usual services out and the new lockdown isn't going to impact that positively.

And Transport for Wales's policy towards commercial bus operators appears to be working with news of possible job cuts for Cardiff Bus which was in trouble pre covid however not having the support that English operators have had means it has to prepare for the worse:

BBC News site

More than 20% of jobs could be axed from Cardiff's council-owned bus operator due to a drop in passengers because of the coronavirus crisis.

Cardiff Bus has told staff it "will need to dismiss as redundant at least 130 members of staff across the entire workforce" in a letter to the 700-strong workforce seen by the BBC.

The firm said it would ensure it "can be viable at 80% pre-Covid income".

Cardiff Bus said it was having "discussions with staff and unions".

In its letter to staff, the company said it started a consultation process on Wednesday to "resize the workforce".

"The impact of Covid-19 is still with us and the pandemic is likely to impact our business for some time to come," the letter said.

"Now the time has come to propose some challenging changes that if implemented will go along way to safeguarding the future of Cardiff Bus."

anthony263

Established Member
Service C8 Taff wells -Thornhill-Cardiff -Cardiff bay now had its route changed to serve Greyfriars road and custom house street in the city centre following customer feedback.

Some further timetable changes expected early October on the 320/321 Cardiff - Talbot green and Talbot green to Llantwit major services

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Service C8 Taff wells -Thornhill-Cardiff -Cardiff bay now had its route changed to serve Greyfriars road and custom house street in the city centre following customer feedback.

Some further timetable changes expected early October on the 320/321 Cardiff - Talbot green and Talbot green to Llantwit major services

Isn't it that the only way it can go now with Castle Street closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.