• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Train Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
I know SWT has commercial and non commercial guards but what services run with guards and what type?

Also, having guards on their services would I be right in thinking it boosts the income quite well not to mention offering that sense of security to passengers?

Finally, are guards really required for any 12 cars that they operate or is it a company/DfT directive that a guard is provided for such services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
All services have guards.

Non-commercial guards work suburban services to places like Hounslow, Kingston, Hampton Court, Epsom etc.

Commercial guards work everything else.

I'm sure one of the SWT Guards will be able to clarify exactly what services non-commercial guards work.

dan_atki

Established Member
Also, having guards on their services would I be right in thinking it boosts the income quite well not to mention offering that sense of security to passengers?

Finally, are guards really required for any 12 cars that they operate or is it a company/DfT directive that a guard is provided for such services?

All services have guards.

I believe the fact all SWT services have a guard is actually a term of the franchise for a visible staff presence.

Aictos

Established Member
Just curious IF FCC had a similar term in their franchise agreement, what services could be run with guards?

Just a pity that FCC don't have guards as such....

jay jay

Just curious IF FCC had a similar term in their franchise agreement, what services could be run with guards?

Just a pity that FCC don't have guards as such....

Absolutely - EVERY train should have a guard!

Established Member
Every Passenger train should have a Guard on, however as we are now under a government of Austerity and with the purse firmly locked most of us Guards still need to be weary that companies dont use the Austere measures to get rid of us.

Such was the march of DOO in the London area under BR, most people today think that Guards do not exist and are taken aback when i tell i am one. That could be with the railway companies wanting to rid the word from its companies publicity and using modern and often meaningless words with an american twist to it.

radamfi

Established Member
Non-commercial guards work suburban services to places like Hounslow, Kingston, Hampton Court, Epsom etc.

Does that mean non-commercial guards operate Desiro services on the Hounslow services?

Also, commercial guards seem to appear quite regularly on lines which are normally non-commercial. There seems to be no logic or pattern as the same service will have non-commercial guards one day, then commercial the next, then non-commercial the day after.

Why don't all guards become commercial?

Aictos

Established Member
Every Passenger train should have a Guard on, however as we are now under a government of Austerity and with the purse firmly locked most of us Guards still need to be weary that companies dont use the Austere measures to get rid of us.

Such was the march of DOO in the London area under BR, most people today think that Guards do not exist and are taken aback when i tell i am one. That could be with the railway companies wanting to rid the word from its companies publicity and using modern and often meaningless words with an american twist to it.

Part of the problem is companies referring to guards as Train Managers, Conductors, Senior Conductors which is unneeded and should rightly be titled Guards just as Train Drivers are titled Train Drivers as Conductors check and sell tickets on buses don't they?

455driver

Veteran Member
Adding to the fab444-
I know SWT has commercial and non commercial guards but what services run with guards and what type?
All services have guards, the basic rules are, the commuter routes have non commercial and the long distance ones have commercial.
Also, having guards on their services would I be right in thinking it boosts the income quite well
Revenue has dropped quite a bit because of the gates at stations (a good thing).
not to mention offering that sense of security to passengers?
If the non comms do their jobs properly then yes.

It is in with the franchise bids that all services will have a quard on board, after the franchise who knows!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does that mean non-commercial guards operate Desiro services on the Hounslow services?
Yes as well as the Weybridges, Windsors and increasing numbers of Readings.

Also, commercial guards seem to appear quite regularly on lines which are normally non-commercial.
Some Commercial duties do include non-comm routes to get the hours up/ route knowledge, also non-comms get the odd commercial route for the same reasons.
There seems to be no logic or pattern as the same service will have non-commercial guards one day, then commercial the next, then non-commercial the day after.
A non-comm can be booked on a commercial duty from spare but will of course not do commercial duties, and a commercial guard the opposite.
Why don't all guards become commercial?
£
A commercial guard gets paid more than a non-comm so the company will try and get by with non-comms where-ever possible. There have just been a few guards made up to commercial but they are the first ones in a while.

Last edited:

Established Member
Conductors check and sell tickets on buses don't they?

Not in London they dont, Ken Livingston put paid to that in 2005. I watched a rather moving video on the net the other day about a bus conductor working on route 390 just before the Routemasters demise, what many people failed to see was not only the demise of a London icon but a demise of a way of working since buses had been around and that of the bus conductor. At the end of this short video it showed the long serving (20+years) Conductor being relegated to selling the Evening Standard, and that after he had to look for it rather then Metroline helping him find work. Sadly this job didnt last long as the Standard is now free. So once again this man would have to look for work again.

http://vimeo.com/716703

Whilst not directly on topic this shows what world we live in.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Absolutely - EVERY train should have a guard!

Every Passenger train should have a Guard on

And we have been through it time and time again and one of the conclusions reached is that it doesn't make it any safer if there is a guard present or not; it does make it safer to have a second member of staff on board for passengers admittedly, but they don't necessarily need to be a guard.

daikilo

Established Member
And we have been through it time and time again and one of the conclusions reached is that it doesn't make it any safer if there is a guard present or not; it does make it safer to have a second member of staff on board for passengers admittedly, but they don't necessarily need to be a guard.

In that case, what is the precise role they need to play pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.