• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains - Assessment day pt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dowdy1

Hello all

This is a career change for me so it is all new. I applied for mainline driver in February and couldn't believe that I was selected for the 1st assessment on 14th May at Southampton Central. :D

Just beforehand, we were in the waiting room, just like in the apprentice, about 10 of us shaking and sweating away with nerves.

I phoned later that day for the result and I passed. Question is - after 4 weeks I have not had an invite for the 2nd round of tests yet and I am getting worried. Do the wheels at SWT HR dept turn this slowly and this is normal?

One guy mentioned he applied back in 1998!!! and was only now being assessed. That must be a record surely...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scally

Hi fella,

I also was there. Done all the assessments and they said they'll send a letter out in 2-3 weeks inviting me back to do the Strctured and Managers interview. I'm still waiting for the invite.

What assessments do you have left to do?

I'm unsure if its normal to wait this long. Do you know how many drivers they are looking for?

Reganstorm

Hi,

From what I understood when I was there, the speed you are processed is determined in part by which depot you are applying for and how hard they are finding it to fill the slots on the courses for that depot.

I had to wait about 3 months for all three days to be finished. Talking to others up there though i think I was quite lucky!

Good luck with your application :)

Dowdy1

Thanks Reganstorm...
Scally...
I have the "reaction test" and the "take down and relaying the message" tests to do.

I applied for the Farnham depot and I don't know how many vacancies they have. Well done for getting through to the interviews. Looks like they need to process people for your chosen depot quicker than mine!

kleb15

Hi, can I ask how long ago you applied for this position, and what you received in order to apply for it? Also how did you find out about vacancies?

Benbow

Just signed back on to the forum after a few months away...

I too applied for Farnham (I'm flexible and could do Basingstoke or Salisbury as well but SWT's system does not seem to allow room for that!). I passed all the tests back in January and February and then tripped up on the 'Structured Interview', just on one of the six sections. I was gutted but told I could come back in six months and try the Structured Interview again. Six months will be up in mid August so I'm interested in your situation as it might indicate how Farnham vacancies are being filled.

Good luck with the rest of it.

scally

Hi Benbow,

Sorry to hear about that fella. Let's hope you can go back in August and re-do the structured interview.

If you don't mind me asking, do you know what the six sections are for the interview? I've passed the assessments and need to do a Structured and Managers interview. These are the ones I'm most nervous about!! Is it really as intense as what people say!?

I've applied for Wimbledon, unsure about how many they need for Farnham mate.

Dave.

Just signed back on to the forum after a few months away...

I too applied for Farnham (I'm flexible and could do Basingstoke or Salisbury as well but SWT's system does not seem to allow room for that!). I passed all the tests back in January and February and then tripped up on the 'Structured Interview', just on one of the six sections. I was gutted but told I could come back in six months and try the Structured Interview again. Six months will be up in mid August so I'm interested in your situation as it might indicate how Farnham vacancies are being filled.

Good luck with the rest of it.

Benbow

Hi Dave,

Yeah, I found it quite intense. 1 hour of constant questioning!

First, you have about 20 mins to write down examples of when you've done this that and the other, then the grilling.

I can't remember the topics off hand but there are threads on here with them listed.

Can't help you with the Manager Interview cos I've not got that far!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.