• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains class 158 transfers to East midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite. The 159s may do but the 158s certainly have a lot of the ex RR/ScotRail destinations in some of them, as witnessed with Fort William or Mystery Excursion or Penzance being 2 fairly common showing on at least one of the screens. Certainly helps FGW having some of the RR destinations in them, although I don't know whether FGW has been using them.

In December 2013 SWT deleted all destinations from there 158 / 159 units and reprogrammed them with every single SWT station onto the chip regardless of whether it was a termination point. SWT issued every driver / conductor with a new destination list, it has All SWT destinations, a few FGW destinations - only a limited few though and then preserved lines so for example Swanage, Seaside Special, Paignton and Dartmouth, Severn Valley. I have the list at home and will upload. Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
158889 was at Etches Park today, looked to have EMT branding on one side but still the SWT on the other.

WillPS

Established Member
Pretty sure 158889 is one of the units that EMT had a long-term loan of at the start of their franchise.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
In December 2013 SWT deleted all destinations from there 158 / 159 units and reprogrammed them with every single SWT station onto the chip regardless of whether it was a termination point. SWT issued every driver / conductor with a new destination list, it has All SWT destinations, a few FGW destinations - only a limited few though and then preserved lines so for example Swanage, Seaside Special, Paignton and Dartmouth, Severn Valley. I have the list at home and will upload. Cheers

They didn't issue me with one although there is a list up in the cab.

Established Member
I believe it was, along with 888?

I'm not sure EMT ever used 158889, from memory I think it was two of 158881/882/883/884/887 & 890 they had at various points. 888 went on loan to Northern for a while though.

tocguard

In addition to the 4 that stable at Norwich Crown Point, 1 stables at Crewe LNWR and at least 4 at Derby Etches Park.

The 158 in question could quite easily be allocated to a 156 diagram whereby the depot responsible for these is Etches Park, meaning that most nights it would return here. For the occasional time where there may be disruption, it could have toilets locked out and a depot sticker stuck on the door saying its en route to its home depot for maintenance/attention like what currently happens when 153's regularly are "en route" to Eastcroft.

As promised the Destination List issued by SWT to train crew regarding the upgrade of the class 158 / 159 destination list in December 2013. The only destinations that are NOW programmed in a SWT 158 / 159 are on the attached listing.

Attachments

• 158 159 Dest Codes.jpg
    158 159 Dest Codes.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 169

dk1

Veteran Member
Was working 12:57 Ex-Norwich with no seat reservations placed due to differing layout. easily stood out due to yellow upper cab & front PIS display. Was expecting it to still say South West but EMT branding applied.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Was working 12:57 Ex-Norwich with no seat reservations placed due to differing layout. easily stood out due to yellow upper cab & front PIS display. Was expecting it to still say South West but EMT branding applied.

And how many people walked through the FC section thinking that it was still First Class?

First class

Established Member
Unit is expected to stay with EMT until the "end" of the franchise extension period, (up to 2 years) to cover the EMT Class 158 refurbishment program, (removal of small toilet, retention tanks, USB power supplies, PIS and potentially further Wifi rollout).158866 currently has WiFi installed in the 57 coach.

First class

Established Member
Bloody hell, does it? I only work the bloody things, nice to be told :p

Yes, the MCB is somewhat "hidden" though. Suggest you examine the 57 end thoroughly ;) You can also see the white WiFi beacon "dome" in the saloon in the centre of the coach attached to the ceiling.

LowLevel

Established Member
I had noticed something along those lines to be fair before but hadn't really paid them more than a second's thought :p

tocguard

It's currently on 1L03, 0707 Mansfield Woodhouse - Norwich arrivimg at 1039. Looks like the destination has been reprogrammed as was displaying Norwich.

Yesterday it was on Liverpools and seat reservations can't be applied because the seat configuration does not match the standard EMT 158 seating layout. I assume the same will happen again today.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How do EMT train crew get to this one?

There are 2 trains stabled at Crewe overnight, 1 being a 158. 2 Derby based guards get taxi and 2 Notts drivers have taxi to work the first 2 services off Crewe. The 3rd service is the 0807 which is the return working of the 0640 from Derby. At night there are 2 Derby guards, a Derby driver and a Notts driver in the same taxi back.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Hmmm... Might have been on this last night, had a tatty looking 158 home, the inside window surrounds were painted with a large missing area, unlike the one I'm in now which has a nicely painted surround. 17:37 to Sheffield from Oxford Road ?

LowLevel

Established Member
It was going the other way at that time on 1R90, the 1257 from Norwich.

387star

On Moderation
Hmmm... Might have been on this last night, had a tatty looking 158 home, the inside window surrounds were painted with a large missing area, unlike the one I'm in now which has a nicely painted surround. 17:37 to Sheffield from Oxford Road ?

Every south west trains train I have ever been on has been near immaculate
Unit is expected to stay with EMT until the "end" of the franchise extension period, (up to 2 years) to cover the EMT Class 158 refurbishment program, (removal of small toilet, retention
tanks, USB power supplies, PIS and potentially further Wifi rollout).158866 currently has WiFi installed in the 57 coach.

Very good news now is there a picture of the present emt 158 toilet?

Do they have the old fashioned levers or the push buttons the 159s have which are the same type as the door buttons?

Last edited:

tocguard

Unit is expected to stay with EMT until the "end" of the franchise extension period, (up to 2 years) to cover the EMT Class 158 refurbishment program, (removal of small toilet, retention tanks, USB power supplies, PIS and potentially further Wifi rollout).158866 currently has WiFi installed in the 57 coach.

Is there a press release or link to verify this? This is all news to me about a 158 refurb including power sockets/usb/PIS/wifi/retention tanks! EMT have specifically stated in the past that they have no plans whatsoever to install wifi on any local services. It was also mentioned earlier in the thread about Rail Gourmet trolley service to be extended beyond Nottingham, east to Peterborough or beyond. This was once trialled and found to be unviable on cost and staffing levels so this again is news to me. Anything to confirm anywhere or is it rumours being dreamt up by people that want/expect these changes to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:

455driver

Veteran Member
Hmmm... Might have been on this last night, had a tatty looking 158 home, the inside window surrounds were painted with a large missing area,

Your were not on it then, SWTs diesel fleet (the whole fleet actually) is kept in near immaculate condition, I suggest you open your eyes before engaging you fingers!

First class

Established Member
Is there a press release or link to verify this? This is all news to me about a 158 refurb including power sockets/usb/PIS/wifi/retention tanks! EMT have specifically stated in the past that they have no plans whatsoever to install wifi on any local services. It was also mentioned earlier in the thread about Rail Gourmet trolley service to be extended beyond Nottingham, east to Peterborough or beyond. This was once trialled and found to be unviable on cost and staffing levels so this again is news to me. Anything to confirm anywhere or is it rumours being dreamt up by people that want/expect these changes to happen?

The trolley service is actually going as far as Ely in the future and swapping over there. All part of the Direct Award arrangements if DfT/EMT agree the extension.

ryan125hst

Established Member

It's great that they're getting refurbished, but removing the small toilet? These trains will have one toilet per two carriages after refurbishment then, yet run on services with an end to end journey time of five an a half hours, with many passengers surely making reasonably long distance journeys on them even if not end to end? Doesn't sound like a brilliant idea to me, particularly when retention tanks are involved.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Just sick of people making assumptions (which are wrong) and posting it as if it is some sort of fact!

Fact ? Since when did "might" become fact ? The question mark has always as far as I've been aware indicative of a question.

The EMT 158's are in my experience in very good condition compared to my benchmark Northern 158's - I've no experience of SWT 158's so seeing an unusually tatty EMT 158 would open a reasonable question of the origins of such a train.

And no I am not always rude, just most of the time.

It's probably good for your colleagues that you sit alone in your cab most of the day then ;)

Chill out, it's only a forum !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.