• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains class 158 transfers to East midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

455driver

Veteran Member
It's probably good for your colleagues that you sit alone in your cab most of the day then ;)

Chill out, it's only a forum !

Blah blah blah, at least my colleagues know what they are talking about!

Most of the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tocguard

It's great that they're getting refurbished, but removing the small toilet? These trains will have one toilet per two carriages after refurbishment then, yet run on services with an end to end journey time of five an a half hours, with many passengers surely making reasonably long distance journeys on them even if not end to end? Doesn't sound like a brilliant idea to me, particularly when retention tanks are involved.

Same reasons i think a 22 minute turnaround time is unacceptable for such a journey distance. Ok, say Nottingham - Liverpool where there's not much waiting like on the Norwich - Nottingham side and where there are busy lines and cause for congestion and disruption, eg. Hope Valley and the whole Manchester - Liverpool section; why on earth is 22 minutes considered sufficient? Bear in mind that the guard is supposed to a have a booked 20 minute break here!!! So if that makes sense to someone making the decisions then removing 1 of the toilets probably makes sense to them also.

First class

Established Member
Same reasons i think a 22 minute turnaround time is unacceptable for such a journey distance. Ok, say Nottingham - Liverpool where there's not much waiting like on the Norwich - Nottingham side and where there are busy lines and cause for congestion and disruption, eg. Hope Valley and the whole Manchester - Liverpool section; why on earth is 22 minutes considered sufficient? Bear in mind that the guard is supposed to a have a booked 20 minute break here!!! So if that makes sense to someone making the decisions then removing 1 of the toilets probably makes sense to them also.

I would recommend that the LIV-NRW route is altered in the East Midlands to improve timings.

Send it Norwich-Thetford-March-Peterborough-via Melton-Loughborough/East Mids Parkway-Sheffield-onwards to Manchester.

Takes it away from the ECML, freeing up paths, frees up Ely, (prevents customers having a reversal there too), faster route via Melton, some peak etc services can call at the 3 local stations, do the unit attachment at Sheffield, job done. Speed the timetable up, extend the layovers in LIV, everybody happy.

Grantham-Nottingham gets an hourly service, (could run an extra Notts-Grantham all stops in the peaks), Peterborough-Nottingham can have simple (same) platform change at Loughborough/E Mids Pway/Grantham, and Grantham-beyond Nottingham would require a change, but pretty good connections of the Skegness (or extend the Skegness services to Sheffield).

Last edited by a moderator:

MCR247

Established Member
So uh what about Nottingham? No services to Manchester Liverpool or East Anglia? 1tph to Sheffield?
Personally, if I was changing it I'd keep the current service the same, but run a Nottingham - Manchester that avoids Sheffield as well

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I called these units "Scrapheap Challenge" to a Salisbury driver.He was not impressed.I might as well have been insulting his mother the way he stormed off.:oops:

Last edited:

tocguard

Unit attachments/detachments cannot take place at Sheffield as this is done by Eastcroft depot drivers. EMT have no drivers at Sheffield. Also lack of unit availability means it is much more logistical to have the attachment/detachment at Nottingham because it is right next to Eastcroft. Most units are shunted in/out of the depot when these moves take place.

With regards to an extra service with the improvements expected on the HVL then i would imagine it would make more business sense to run Derby - Manchester or Liverpool, depending on the viability. I can't see there being a demand for 3 trains an hour between Nottingham and Sheffield. Derby's only missing regional destination is the North West so there is potential for a market there and with the regular services to Sheffield already in place then i would think you could run via Dore south curve, omitting Sheffield. This would offer a much more attractive way to many people with considerable journey time reductions when compared to established services. The future Derby remodeling and increase in platforms should mean that there is sufficient capacity for such a proposal.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
With regards to an extra service with the improvements expected on the HVL then i would imagine it would make more business sense to run Derby - Manchester or Liverpool, depending on the viability. I can't see there being a demand for 3 trains an hour between Nottingham and Sheffield. Derby's only missing regional destination is the North West so there is potential for a market there and with the regular services to Sheffield already in place then i would think you could run via Dore south curve, omitting Sheffield. This would offer a much more attractive way to many people with considerable journey time reductions when compared to established services. The future Derby remodeling and increase in platforms should mean that there is sufficient capacity for such a proposal.

I was suggesting Nottingham - Manchester avoiding Sheffield, but maybe a better use of capacity would be a Nottingham - Derby - Stockport - Manchester service, assuming that the journey time from Nottingham isn't too unreasonable?

Your were not on it then, SWTs diesel fleet (the whole fleet actually) is kept in near immaculate condition, I suggest you open your eyes before engaging you fingers!

Either that or they've ruined it already. It's only on loan....

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Your were not on it then, SWTs diesel fleet (the whole fleet actually) is kept in near immaculate condition, I suggest you open your eyes before engaging you fingers!

Not with the paint job pal, if 455's are anything to go by.;)

Bad mode again ? Or are you always rude ?

Obviously been on the customer care course.;)

Last edited:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
If we're running into hypothetical mode why not reintroduce the service that was too popular for Regional Railways, Blackpool North to Anglia (Cambridge, say). It makes sense to me to add in new journey opportunities rather than just obliterate current ones, you see a fair proportion of tickets going over the Hope Valley heading towards Preston and Blackpool and points north as well, so a direct train to Preston and Blackpool would be useful there, and likewise heading in the opposite direction a large number of Cambridge tickets.

collector said:
Send it Norwich-Thetford-March-Peterborough-via Melton-Loughborough/East Mids Parkway-Sheffield-onwards to Manchester.
How do you propose to serve the Peterborough to Grantham route? Under the proposed VTEC timetables in a few years the only service between those two stations will be the EMT service.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Not with the paint job pal, if 455's are anything to go by.:wink

Very quickly off topic, but the 444s and 450s paintwork is also looking very shabby, most 444s are grey, and most 450s have yellow tints coming through the paintwork.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Getting used to the first class seating on my daily trip to Manchester - how long before the big comfy seats are ripped out ?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Getting used to the first class seating on my daily trip to Manchester - how long before the big comfy seats are ripped out ?

I would imagine they will remain in place unless the move is made permanent.

And if the move is made permanent, please send the standard class seats back south, you can keep the EMT style seating :lol:

Haydn1971

Established Member
And if the move is made permanent, please send the standard class seats back south, you can keep the EMT style seating :lol:

Really ? I find them awful and the leg room between isn't great either - contrary to previous claims, the former SWT unit is rather tatty compared to the EMT units and some broken seats in first.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

It will be with EMT for at least 2 years and everything should eventually be á la carte EMT ones. This has been posted on the thread already.

fgwrich

Established Member

Wont be happening, SWT are already talking about refurbishing and reseating their 159s already.

vikingdriver

Wont be happening, SWT are already talking about refurbishing and reseating their 159s already.

The first has already been gone for an age being refurbished. Last I heard they had canned plans for the seats but like everything on the railway, I'll believe it when I see it!

LowLevel

Established Member
It will be with EMT for at least 2 years and everything should eventually be á la carte EMT ones. This has been posted on the thread already.

Not as far as we are aware, the brief issued suggests it will probably stay as is - which it is quite welcome to, as luggage racks are lovely.

matthewluck

I would imagine that EMT will use 158889 on the NOT-LIV route as all units return to Nottingham at night.

Maybe this is old news. But they do now. Was on the 11.40 SHF - LIV Monday. Lovely comfortable seats in the 'declassified' first class which somewhat made up for the 20 minute delay due to animals on the line ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
Northerners dont deserve such luxury will be trashed notice the curtains have been removed ;)

Removing curtains, the things on the top of the seats (I forget their name) and disabling table lights is standard practice if FC is going to be declassified semi-permanently. If they don't remove the curtains and the seat thingies, they'll have to routinely change them as they'll need washing/replacing.

Bit rich saying Northerners will trash them considering how trashed some of the cascaded stock Northern has received has been in e.g. the ex-Central units. ;)

LowLevel

Established Member
Maybe this is old news. But they do now. Was on the 11.40 SHF - LIV Monday. Lovely comfortable seats in the 'declassified' first class which somewhat made up for the 20 minute delay due to animals on the line ;)

At the minute it's being diagrammed to avoid working through to Norwich wherever possible except where necessary to avoid a cancellation (much like a 156) as the lack of reservations is a huge pain. It consequently is often found on Skegness and Lincoln line services, as well as working as a Liverpool portion unit (one job of which will take it to Crewe of an evening as well). It's also fairly regular on the Robin Hood line on a Saturday.

It's about ready for an overhaul now though - the seats etc are getting very tired.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
At the minute it's being diagrammed to avoid working through to Norwich wherever possible except where necessary to avoid a cancellation (much like a 156) as the lack of reservations is a huge pain. It consequently is often found on Skegness and Lincoln line services, as well as working as a Liverpool portion unit (one job of which will take it to Crewe of an evening as well). It's also fairly regular on the Robin Hood line on a Saturday.

It's about ready for an overhaul now though - the seats etc are getting very tired.

Its probably slightly different to an SWT 158 so it will be a crew training issue as well for Norwich depot.

LowLevel

Established Member
All EMT crews can work it as and when - all drivers, guards and depots were issued with a brief on the few detail differences - they aren't significant enough to cause any day to day issues. It's treated no differently to another other 158 in terms of traction competency.

On Moderation
All EMT crews can work it as and when - all drivers, guards and depots were issued with a brief on the few detail differences - they aren't significant enough to cause any day to day issues. It's treated no differently to another other 158 in terms of traction competency.

Are the leading doors still isolate when that cab is leading, as with the other SWT 158s/159s (and indeed 442s when they were SWT units)?

LowLevel

Established Member
No, that mod has been isolated. Main differences are no NRN (but that's isolated on all EMT units and is being progressively removed), the cab heater/seat is a bit different but that's pretty self explanatory, the remote supply MCB is well hidden, and there's an MCB for the plug sockets in the first class section. The CIS is isolated and a normal vultron destination controller is fitted. There's also an emergency brake plunger on the secondman's side of the cab and the emergency cupboard is unusually well supplied with goodies.

Nothing that isn't either obvious or materially irrelevant anyway to traincrew (the CET for the bogs is looked after by the depots and they're not vacuum operated).

Status
Not open for further replies.