• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains Class 170

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is interested i just found this sign at Southampton Airport Parkway Railway Station (i have attached a photo) which shows the South West Trains class 170s. Im thinking that this sign must be almost around 9 or 10 years old as i believe SWT got rid of their 170s around July 2007. It reminded me of the good old days when SWT still had their 170s before they downgraded and replaced them with their far less suitable 158s and 159s. It would be nice if SWT got some more 170s again.

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_185715.jpg
    IMG_20160617_185715.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 207
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Very interesting. Also strange to see that the rear coach of the first two coach 170 doesn't have the SWT swipes that the first one does.

I'm sure not that many people will cry to SWT on Social Media about the inaccuracies of the type of train which turns up on their service.

Thanks,
Ross

Very interesting. Also strange to see that the rear coach of the first two coach 170 doesn't have the SWT swipes that the first one does.

I'm sure not that many people will cry to SWT on Social Media about the inaccuracies of the type of train which turns up on their service.

Thanks,
Ross

Yes it did certainly surprise me to see it. It was a nice surprise though. Yes i see what you mean about the livery not having the swipes at the end of the first unit. I hadnt noticed that. I also noticed that the red looks more like blue which could just be from fading away as its probably quite an old sign especially as the sun shines right on to the sign.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It isn't an SWT livery, and the structure it's mounted on, part of the new footbridge, dates only from the end of 2009. You're reading too much into things...

Re the standardisation of rolling stock, it was done to simplify maintenance requirements and also to allow access throughout the trains when running in up to 10 cars in multiple. There's possibly a case for 170s on the Salisbury - Romsey service to aid dwell times around Southampton, but the use on Waterloo to Salisbury will supersede that.

There's really no likelihood of SWT getting 170s again.

Last edited:
It isn't an SWT livery, and the structure it's mounted on, part of the new footbridge, dates only from the end of 2009. You're reading too much into things...

Re the standardisation of rolling stock, it was done to simplify maintenance requirements and also to allow access throughout the trains when running in up to 10 cars in multiple. There's possibly a case for 170s on the Salisbury - Romsey service to aid dwell times around Southampton, but the use on Waterloo to Salisbury will supersede that.

There's really no likelihood of SWT getting 170s again.

No this is not actually on that footbridge. This is on the opposite side of the road from the Station at the end of the covered footpath from the Airport terminal building to the Station. So i would say it is quite likely to have been there for a lot longer.

The problem with the 158s and 159s (and 444s as well) is that they only have narrow doors at the ends of the coaches. A layout with wide doors at 1/3 and 2/3 layout is much more suitable and more spacious. Also on the SWT 158s and 159s the front set of doors always stays locked out of use for some reason.

I imagine the 158s and 159s will probably get replaced soon as they are getting quite old. I would say that something like the 168s / 170s / 171s / 172s / 185s would be the best replacements. But who knows what will actually happen. Have to wait and see as i havent heard anything about new DMUs for SWT yet.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
If anyone is interested i just found this sign at Southampton Airport Parkway Railway Station (i have attached a photo) which shows the South West Trains class 170s. Im thinking that this sign must be almost around 9 or 10 years old as i believe SWT got rid of their 170s around July 2007. It reminded me of the good old days when SWT still had their 170s before they downgraded and replaced them with their far less suitable 158s and 159s. It would be nice if SWT got some more 170s again.

SWT will never get 170s back i`m afraid the `Express Sprinters` do a better job an example of this is the fact that they have corridor connections, and as the trains are normally coupled together in up to 10-car formations it makes life much easier for SWT.
Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.