• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

les.

Hi,

I have just booked train tickets from Oxted to Exeter St.David's changing at Clapham Junction and catching the South West Trains service from there.

I noticed that First Class was only about a fiver more than standard class so I booked that. I was surprised to find that this did not include any reserved seats and enquiring with a friend who lives down in London, he informs me that SWT do not issue reserved seat tickets as their trains are very often full (some only running with 3 carriages).

I find this quite incredible really that there is a chance we may have to stand up (in first class) if we are unable to get a seat. Does anyone know if SWT only sell the number of first class tickets that relate to seats on the service and has anybody travelled on 09:27 service from CJ to Exeter who could advise me what the chances are of us being able to get a seat.

Also, what else does a first class ticket entitle you to on SWT as opposed to a standard fare?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hi,

I have just booked train tickets from Oxted to Exeter St.David's changing at Clapham Junction and catching the South West Trains service from there.

I noticed that First Class was only about a fiver more than standard class so I booked that. I was surprised to find that this did not include any reserved seats and enquiring with a friend who lives down in London, he informs me that SWT do not issue reserved seat tickets as their trains are very often full (some only running with 3 carriages).

I find this quite incredible really that there is a chance we may have to stand up (in first class) if we are unable to get a seat. Does anyone know if SWT only sell the number of first class tickets that relate to seats on the service and has anybody travelled on 09:27 service from CJ to Exeter who could advise me what the chances are of us being able to get a seat.

Also, what else does a first class ticket entitle you to on SWT as opposed to a standard fare?

You'll definitely get a seat. The majority of trains which convey First Class in this country are actually non-reserveable. It's only InterCity services which tend to have seat reservations.

The Exeter trains are usually 9 or 6 carriages with 3 only usually continuing beyond Salisbury.

I'm not sure you actually get anything else on the Exeter route (like free catering etc), but the difference in cost is pretty marginal so I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited:

les.

You'll definitely get a seat. The majority of trains which convey First Class in this country are actually non-reserveable. It's only InterCity services which tend to have seat reservations.

The Exeter trains are usually 9 or 6 carriages with 3 only usually continuing beyond Salisbury.

I'm not sure you actually get anything else on the Exeter route (like free catering etc), but the difference in cost is pretty marginal so I wouldn't sweat it.

Cheers. Usually the only time I travel first class in on Virgin East Coast which is superb. In fact I'm heading up to Edinburgh next month from Doncaster and have first class tickets (with my railcard) for £22.15!

As you say, the difference in cost between standard and first class on the SWT to Exeter is pretty marginal, so just a nice comfy seat will do me. :D

TEW

Established Member
The 09:27 from Clapham Junction to Exeter St Davids is a 9-car 159 from Waterloo to Salisbury. The front 3 coaches on a Weekday, and front 6 on a Saturday, continue from there to Exeter St Davids. The First Class on 159s can get busy, but I expect you'll get a seat.

les.

The 09:27 from Clapham Junction to Exeter St Davids is a 9-car 159 from Waterloo to Salisbury. The front 3 coaches on a Weekday, and front 6 on a Saturday, continue from there to Exeter St Davids. The First Class on 159s can get busy, but I expect you'll get a seat.

I gather from that the first class coaches are at the front of the train then?

iantherev

I gather from that the first class coaches are at the front of the train then?

First Class accommodation is usually at the rear of each unit - coach 3, 6 , 9 etc from Waterloo although it is not unknown for one to turn up in reverse formation from time to time.

embers25

Established Member
First Class accommodation is usually at the rear of each unit - coach 3, 6 , 9 etc from Waterloo although it is not unknown for one to turn up in reverse formation from time to time.

There are several in reverse formation right now due to them running more regularly via From involving a Westbury reversal. Currently almost all weekday off peak trains are 3 coaches beyond Salisbury and full and standing in standard sometimes as far as Crewkerne although in First they are just full. If the front 3 are full you could sit in the less busy rear three/six and move just before Salisbury. Going back you'll get a seat from Exeter on all trains in both classes except on the 1624 which is touch and go in term time but should be ok now. Saturdays and Sundyas are better as trains are still 6 coaches as they only take our extra coaches on weekdays to provide the pointless 1/2 hourly Yeovil trains.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I personally prefer it that SWT don't issue reservations on their WoE services. Less chance of getting sat somewhere I don't want to be.

les.

Thanks for all the advice.

Coming back won't be a problem as we're staying overnight and catching the 11:18 Great Western Service into Paddington. Only Standard Class on the return as 1st Class was about 3 times the price.

Kite159

Veteran Member
There are several in reverse formation right now due to them running more regularly via From involving a Westbury reversal. Currently almost all weekday off peak trains are 3 coaches beyond Salisbury and full and standing in standard sometimes as far as Crewkerne although in First they are just full. If the front 3 are full you could sit in the less busy rear three/six and move just before Salisbury. Going back you'll get a seat from Exeter on all trains in both classes except on the 1624 which is touch and go in term time but should be ok now. Saturdays and Sundyas are better as trains are still 6 coaches as they only take our extra coaches on weekdays to provide the pointless 1/2 hourly Yeovil trains.

It be that pesky £16 day return offer ;)

Slightly larger seat, plug-socket is all you get in FC.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does anyone know if SWT only sell the number of first class tickets

There's no limit on the number of tickets that are sold. We have a 'walk up' railway in this country so there's nothing to stop someone turning up at the station a couple of minutes prior to departure and simply buying a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.