• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains - font query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Does anyone seriously spot fonts used on station signs ? That's a bit hardcore !

Each to their own. In a similar way you could say having to see each unit of a certain class is hardcore, or wanting haulage behind every loco within a class, or collecting timetables etc is hardcore. The range of interests available within railways should really be appreciated and respected, there's not many hobbies with such a wide variety of different interests.

DavidBrown

Does anyone seriously spot fonts used on station signs ? That's a bit hardcore !

Just to clarify a little! I'm trying to create various signs and assets for Trainz, including renameable ones, which is why I wanted to know if it was a freely available font or an easily obtainable one. The links above have helped me find something that's close enough - but also costs well over £100! :shock: Will have to make do with the standard Trainz font for now, then...

So no, I'm NOT a font spotter!

flymo

Established Member
If it were me and I couldn't find the exact one I would use the 'Myriad Pro Light' font. Not sure if it is installed by default on Win7 or if I added it.

Clapham.png (Click to enlarge a bit.)

It may be a little chunkier than you would like but it looks close enough to me. Mind you I tend not to be too demanding when it comes to these sort of things.:)

Ivo

Established Member
If it were me and I couldn't find the exact one I would use the 'Myriad Pro Light' font. Not sure if it is installed by default on Win7 or if I added it.

Pretty sure that isn't available as a Win7 default. I certainly don't have it.

tsr

Established Member
I think it's one that's installed with an application. I'm thinking Adobe Acrobat reader, but don't hold me to that.

Some Adobe packages do seem to feature it as part of the included font pack, but I don't know exactly which. It is sometimes found on PCs and possibly Macs with various installations of Adobe CS4 or above.

EDIT: Also see causton's comment above! :)

flymo

Established Member
Hmmm....looking a bit deeper it does appear the Myriad font family is an Adobe font. I do have CS3 installed so maybe that is where it came from. Not sure what to suggest, as these are copyright. Are there any similar fonts, I have used dafont.com in the past for fonts.

Status
Not open for further replies.