• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains - going to London

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

A trick I've found in the past few days is utilising the key part of a ticket, the routing.

On my trip to London on Friday - I used a Bournemouth to Brighton SDR via Clapham Junction (as the route allows) and broke my journey there (I did use the rest of the ticket later on in the day) - but either way, you don't have to use the rest of the ticket and it can bring in quite big discounts on the ticket to London.

See more at http://www.railuk.org/tc/Brighton_tickets.htm

EDIT:

Oh and if anyone wishes to annoy me about it, it's maps LB + WX.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
Ta!

By the way Ashurst (New Forest) has a working PTT machine at last! Or did this evening. No sticky sheet telling us about local fares though.

Thanks Mr Boss at Brockenhurst! A ticket machine would be very nice instead though!

Oracle

Established Member
The Mr Boss I am talking about is the friendly chap at Brokkie, member of this forum. However, Big Boss at Bournemouth is no doubt equally nice, and of course responsible for ticket machines as we know.

Ian Macavoy

The new type of Ticket Machine is on the way, i will get a local fares poster sorted out as well. All the station in this area Winchester to Weymouth come under the Area Manager at Southampton, not Bournemouth.

T

Tom

Ian - I'm talking about the local area manager rather than the entire group station manager for Winchester - Weymouth.

Unless he's moved recently and changed jobs? Spoke to TP on Friday regarding the pigs.... interesting news!!

Oracle

Established Member
Cheers Ian. As far as ANF is concerned, it would be great to mention this to the local Parish Council? Presumably the ghosts at Beaulieu Road don't need a machine?

My only concern is that the local young persons that love to hang out in the waiting shelters with their cheap cider don't decide to ruin it all for the bona fide passengers.

David

Oracle

Established Member
Local Parish magazine has details of the new TT services, with XX40 in both directions. Of course there is then a 25-minute wait at Brockenhurst they said! So, change there. In the Up, change at Southampton Parkway for the fast. Also the ghosts and ponies at Beaulieu Road will see more services, ideal for "ramblers".

T

Tom

Yep - has slightly more services:

Off London these are:
2W09 07.20 Southampton Central - Weymouth (09.09) - Beaulieu Road at 07.36
2W13 06.12 London Waterloo - Weymouth (10.10) - Beaulieu Road at 08.37
2B43 14.39 London Waterloo - Brockenhurst (16.51) - Beaulieu Road at 16.44
2B47 15.39 London Waterloo - Brockenhurst (16.51) - Beaulieu Road at 17.44

From Bournemouth direction these are:
2B28 07.20 Poole - London Waterloo (10.34) - Beaulieu Road at 08.08
2B68 17.50 Poole - London Waterloo (20.34) - Beaulieu Road at 18.38

Remember the peak service is relatively unchanged.

paul1609

Established Member
Local Parish magazine has details of the new TT services, with XX40 in both directions. Of course there is then a 25-minute wait at Brockenhurst they said! So, change there. In the Up, change at Southampton Parkway for the fast. Also the ghosts and ponies at Beaulieu Road will see more services, ideal for "ramblers".

or change at Southampton West (10 min connection) for a cheaper journey via the picturesque arun valley (drinkable coffee available from Barnham or Horsham) :)

thefab444

Established Member
I presume either that, or from the campsite? There aren't many, if any, chavs living in Ashurst! Definately not in my area anyway!

paul1609

Established Member
Ooooooo! :smile:

I have to say that I would prefer the Arun Valley route. Do they still have semaphores?

From Amberley to Billingshurst including LBSCR starters at Amberley.
Although your Southampton Portion will be non stop from Barnham to Horsham you will slow to 60 mph to pay homage to the Granddaddy of Signal Boxes at Billingshurst.
Even in power box area you will have your gates opened for you by handwheel from the combined crossing box/ booking office at Littlehaven.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I presume either that, or from the campsite? There aren't many, if any, chavs living in Ashurst! Definately not in my area anyway!
I though the new Forest was mostly Pikey?

Oracle

Established Member
The campsite hosts some amazing characters, and some have to use the Lyndhust Surgery for their "medication" prescriptions. Requests often it seems written on scraps of paper!

Can't think of any chavs locally but we do have lunatic drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.