• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains - New Years Day Service - Set Down Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

Does anyone know if there is a reason why the additional early morning New Years Day services South West Trains are running to Basingstoke are set down only at Farnborough and Fleet?

I understand the argument that such services in the regular timetable are set down only as it is easier to manage when rail replacement buses are operating, but these are one off services, being operated by trains, so can't see any operational reason for them to be set down only. It's a shame as we have friends from Fleet coming to Farnborough for new Year celebrations, who would have found this service useful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Does anyone know if there is a reason why the additional early morning New Years Day services South West Trains are running to Basingstoke are set down only at Farnborough and Fleet?

I understand the argument that such services in the regular timetable are set down only as it is easier to manage when rail replacement buses are operating, but these are one off services, being operated by trains, so can't see any operational reason for them to be set down only. It's a shame as we have friends from Fleet coming to Farnborough for new Year celebrations, who would have found this service useful.

So they can use a 158 and divert via Reading if the extra time is needed for maintenance?

wintonian

Established Member
I don't think so. How would the 158 set down at Farnborough and Fleet?

It doesn't - passengers for those locations would be bundled into a one way bus/ taxis.

Anyway it was just an idea and I didn't say it was a good one. :|

John @ home

Established Member
I ... can't see any operational reason for them to be set down only. It's a shame as we have friends from Fleet coming to Farnborough for new Year celebrations, who would have found this service useful.
I suspect SWT may consider that the cost of undertaking a Risk Assessment of the safety aspects of picking up passengers at Farnborough Main at 02:16 on 1 January is likely to exceed the expected additional revenue.

wintonian

Established Member
I suspect SWT may consider that the cost of undertaking a Risk Assessment of the safety aspects of picking up passengers at Farnborough Main at 02:16 on 1 January is likely to exceed the expected additional revenue.

How much different do you suppose that would be to letting people alight? I assume there is more risk of a drunk person falling out the door from a higher altitude than there is of one falling into it. ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

island

Veteran Member
I suspect it's more likely to be so they do not have to wait at the stations if they arrive early, rather than any risk assessments.

455driver

Veteran Member
Island has it right in this instance, because they are one off services they do not run to any particular timetable after Woking and just stop, set down and go, no waiting time.

Although they are set down only there is no real reason you cant get on them but if you turn up at the last minute and the train has gone, tough.

wintonian

Established Member
I knew it was going to be far to simple for me. ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Bill Badger

Island has it right in this instance, because they are one off services they do not run to any particular timetable after Woking and just stop, set down and go, no waiting time.

Although they are set down only there is no real reason you cant get on them but if you turn up at the last minute and the train has gone, tough.

Thanks for this, could be useful. Given the timings couldn't see them being more than a minute early, but if they use it, I'll suggest that plenty of time is allowed.

455driver

Veteran Member
Further to my post above, if the train is replaced by a bus (very unlikely) and there are no passengers to get off then it wont call at the station.

Stigy

Established Member
Not sure if it's the same now, but the last train out of Waterloo to stop at Farnborough and Fleet (the 0105hrs from Waterloo) always was set-down only at these two stations, as well as Wimbledon also in later years.

455driver

Veteran Member
That is because it is frequently re-routed if there is engineering work on the mainline so they only need to taxi the people on the train and not worry about any intending passengers at the stations.

Funniest one I ever did was the 0009 Waterloo to Guildford and because of engineering work I was fast from Surbiton to Guildford via Cobham instead of all stations down the main via Woking, kicked all the passengers off at Surbiton for their buses forward and was then routed down the main (dont ask) and so had the pleasure of slowing down for the 2 passengers that always got on at Walton on Thames (which was set down only) and turning on the cab light to wave to them as I powered the train away from them, the look on their faces was a picture.

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
That is because it is frequently re-routed if there is engineering work on the mainline so they only need to taxi the people on the train and not worry about any intending passengers at the stations.

Taxi? With some of the loadings I have seen on it more like a double decker possibly 2.

455driver

Veteran Member
depends which day it is and there are usually a couple of coaches in the mix, they have a pretty good ideas of the number of passengers who catch that train on each day so they normally get the sums right.

Mark_re

I once stupidly misread the timetable and tried to board the set down only 0105 ex-Waterloo at Basingstoke. Had to argue with the station manager, but he eventually generously let me wait on the station.

wintonian

Established Member
I once stupidly misread the timetable and tried to board the set down only 0105 ex-Waterloo at Basingstoke. Had to argue with the station manager, but he eventually generously let me wait on the station.

Last year I misread the timetable/ forgot that the 01:05 was set down only at Surbiton, it was the only train I could get home after working late in Feltham. Anyway after the staff kicked an enthusiast off the station for taking photos with no explanation other than than "you're not allowed to now leave the station or I'll call security" I hid in a corner and slipped on like a phantom in the night. Truth be told I was convinced the SWT Stasi were going to aggressively kick me out too being that there were no other trains booked to call, perhaps it was the fact that I was wearing a slightly more expensive suite than the photter or that they are just allergic to cameras unless provided by those who pay their wages?

Status
Not open for further replies.