• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm interested to know what testing needs to shorten formations to “increase capacity” taken from SWT Live Train Info today, complete with confusing typo. Someone may know?

Message Received :14/11/2012 14:53
“From the 13 November to 30 November we will be undertaking a programme of testing on our trains.
This is necessary as part of a significant programme of improvements. This will deliver much needed extra capacity (from March 2013) and will allow over 23,000 additional passengers every day to travel to and from London Waterloo during peak times.
The following train services are affected from Tuesday 13 October to Friday 16 November:

0641 Woking to Waterloo train will be formed of an 8 carriages instead of 12
0655 Portsmouth to Waterloo train will be formed of an 8 carriages instead of 12

1800 Waterloo to Portsmouth train will be formed of an 8 carriages instead of 12
1823 Waterloo to Basingstoke train will be formed of an 8 carriages instead of 12

0737 Waterloo to Hounslow train will be formed of an 8 carriages instead of 12
0954 Basingstoke to Waterloo train will be formed of an 8 carriages instead of 12
We are sorry for any inconvenience this will cause.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Guessing, based on future intentions I've read about, is that the additional capacity plans require the use of Auto SDO (at individual carriage level) on the Desiro and 458/5 fleets.

Testing this would require a few units firstly to test the new equipment, and then to test the hardware (platform end balises) being fitted on the relevant routes?

bigdelboy

And what about shortening the 04:25 pompey harbour - waterloo (lawnmower stopper) this morning from 5 to 4 :( .... (444 to 450) .... this morning ... okay i know it used to be a 9 hybrid for the olympics but it aint been 4 car since it was a 4-bep/4-cep skidding up in the ice ... ....

Guessing, based on future intentions I've read about, is that the additional capacity plans require the use of Auto SDO (at individual carriage level) on the Desiro and 458/5 fleets.

Testing this would require a few units firstly to test the new equipment, and then to test the hardware (platform end balises) being fitted on the relevant routes?

I can understand the testing requirement for this modification but not the increased capacity it may bring. The formations will still be the same length, except on the Windsor lines eventually, just that more doors will open at short platforms so marginally decreasing station dwell times. I also note that SWT have already updated this notice to exclude the 07:37 Hounslow.

Last edited:

slicedbread

Got the same email today which, explained why we had all be crammed on an 8-car yesterday and today. Actually got an annoucment on the train this morning but it just said "... due to a shortage of rolling stock at portsmouth this morning ..."

The Ham

Established Member
I can understand the testing requirement for this modification but not the increased capacity it may bring. The formations will still be the same length, except on the Windsor lines eventually, just that more doors will open at short platforms so marginally decreasing station dwell times. I also note that SWT have already updated this notice to exclude the 07:37 Hounslow.

Isn't the increased capacity from moving stock around and running a dedicated class of stock on the Windsor lines?

TEW

Established Member
This isn't usually 12 carriages surely?!

Don't think it is. 0641 Woking-Waterloo is 12 carriages which splits at Waterloo. Eight work the 0737 Waterloo-Hounslow, ECS to Basingstoke and then the 0954 Basingstoke-Waterloo. Four run ECS to Richmond then work the 0754 Richmond-Guildford. Presumably only four are working the 0737 Waterloo-Hounslow and 0954 Basingstoke-Waterloo this week.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Isn't the increased capacity from moving stock around and running a dedicated class of stock on the Windsor lines?

Basically. Currently Windsor line services are mainly worked by the 28 Class 450/5s but also using some 450/0s. There will be instead be 36 Class 458/5s. A large number of the displaced 450s will be needed to replace the lost 30 Class 458/0s but the overall increase in the fleet by six sets allows a number of services to be lengthened across the network, not just the Windsor lines. The transfer of the Class 456s will allow 10-car Suburban services but will also result in a further cascade allowing more lengthened Mainline services.

Last edited:

This is all very clearly put but given the announced timescale of introducing 458/5, fleet not complete until 2014, I am still puzzled by the statement in the OP
“This will deliver much needed extra capacity (from March 2013) and will allow over 23,000 additional passengers every day to travel to and from London Waterloo during peak times.”
I guess its just hyp by SWT as “from March 2013” is vague enough for the ordinary traveller to accept.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A decision has been made by SWT/NR that carriage level auto SDO will be used on the entire SWT network, and by the entire 444/450/458 fleet.

AIUI the overall project also includes overcoming all the existing problems caused by UDS, such as 444s using 'local door only' when stopping at Shawford or Beaulieu Rd, or 12 car 450s only opening 4 cars at Fareham's down platform because the 3rd cab is off the ramp.

Don't just see it as an issue associated with 10 car operations in the suburban area, that isn't all they're looking at at all. The CP4 enhacements project refers to balises being fitted at 168 stations - if you ignore diesel areas and existing full lenght 12 car platforms that potentially includes everywhere SWT currently run.

Date wise, the first 5 car 458s are expected to arrive April 2013. That'll probably be why they are saying 'from March'.

Key dates are:

Hima-Sella TrackLink III Product Acceptance September 2012
Installation of trackside equipment (tags) begins on Windsor lines (phase 1) October 2012
Installation of trackside equipment on Windsor lines complete January 2013
Installation of trackside equipment on remainder of Wessex route begins (phase 2) February 2013
Delivery of Class 458/5 with ASDO operational April 2013 – May 2014
Installation of trackside equipment (tags) complete at 168 stations and tags operational across network January 2014
Modification to Desiro Fleet Complete May 2014
Project Completion Date May 2014

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.