• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Western Railway - Advance ticket to Chessington queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

I can get a cheap Advance fare for my planned (restriction easing allowing) journey from Eastleigh to Chessington South going via Waterloo - £8.70 each way at certain times.
I have a couple of linked queries - is it both legs where I have to get the specified train? it gives a 39 minute wait at Waterloo on the way up when I could almost certainly make the one in 9 minutes.
Is there any way of getting a cheap fair like this with a chance to stop at Waterloo for a few hours? (to get some food and walk around South Bank etc... before continuing home) It seems expensive paying £7.80 for a single from Chessington to Waterloo when its only 90p more for Chessington to Eastleigh via Waterloo.
I have a Network Railcard but I'm not sure that will help on a Monday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It seems expensive paying £7.80 for a single from Chessington to Waterloo when its only 90p more for Chessington to Eastleigh via Waterloo.
Why are you paying £7.80 for a single from Chessington to Waterloo? The contactless fares are £7.00 peak, £4.30 off-peak.

As for why you can get from Eastleigh to Chessington for £8.70, I'd say make the most of it and see it as a bargain that comes with restrictions such as not being able to break your journey and spend a few hours on the South Bank.

Fiyero

Why are you paying £7.80 for a single from Chessington to Waterloo? The contactless fares are £7.00 peak, £4.30 off-peak.
Ah, I didn't think of Contactless, I was just using the journey planner on South Western Raiilway's site.
Though its showing as £8.60 peak and £5.80 off peak on TFL single fare finder

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Though its showing as £8.60 peak and £5.80 off peak on TFL single fare finder
That is the fare from Waterloo underground including the 'mixed-mode premium'. Try London Waterloo instead.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can get a cheap Advance fare for my planned (restriction easing allowing) journey from Eastleigh to Chessington South going via Waterloo - £8.70 each way at certain times.
I have a couple of linked queries - is it both legs where I have to get the specified train? it gives a 39 minute wait at Waterloo on the way up when I could almost certainly make the one in 9 minutes.
Is there any way of getting a cheap fair like this with a chance to stop at Waterloo for a few hours? (to get some food and walk around South Bank etc... before continuing home) It seems expensive paying £7.80 for a single from Chessington to Waterloo when its only 90p more for Chessington to Eastleigh via Waterloo.
I have a Network Railcard but I'm not sure that will help on a Monday.
You can use TrainSplit to get an itinerary that involves a long wait at Waterloo. Use the advanced options, enter via Waterloo, then 'changing at' and add 99 minutes or however much you like to the connection time. You can also add more time on top of that using the general 'additional connection time' option.

Whilst breaking your journey is not permitted on an Advance ticket, it's perfectly reasonable to want to change platforms and trains via the main concourse, which means exiting and entering the barriers...

Fiyero

You can use TrainSplit to get an itinerary that involves a long wait at Waterloo. Use the advanced options, enter via Waterloo, then 'changing at' and add 99 minutes or however much you like to the connection time. You can also add more time on top of that using the general 'additional connection time' option.

Whilst breaking your journey is not permitted on an Advance ticket, it's perfectly reasonable to want to change platforms and trains via the main concourse, which means exiting and entering the barriers...
Thanks, I had a play and that looks a great feature.
I think for this one I'll book an Advance to Chessington and back from Waterloo and do contactless in-between (so I'm not locked to a Chessington train in case I want to leave early).

Status
Not open for further replies.