• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Western Railway prosecutions policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello all,

I was recently stopped for travelling unintentionally on an expired railcard on a South Western Railways service. Contact details were taken and I was told prosecutions department would be informed and to expect a letter. Rather going through all the details of what happened right now, i'm content to wait until I receive said letter before asking for specific advice. That said, I'd be interested in views as to how amenable SWR are to settling out of court as a general rule. From scanning this forum it appears each train operator handles prosecutions differently, with some seeming taking a tougher stance, aiming to maximize convictions. But I've not yet been able to find somebody with a direct experience of prosecution by SWR.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
I struggle to recall any examples of SWR behaving unreasonably on here - engage with them honestly and expect an outcome fair to both sides.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum. Generally speaking, unless you have come to their attention before, if you engage politely and promptly with SWR when the letter arrives you will normally be offered an administrative settlement.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hello all,

I was recently stopped for travelling unintentionally on an expired railcard on a South Western Railways service. Contact details were taken and I was told prosecutions department would be informed and to expect a letter. Rather going through all the details of what happened right now, i'm content to wait until I receive said letter before asking for specific advice. That said, I'd be interested in views as to how amenable SWR are to settling out of court as a general rule. From scanning this forum it appears each train operator handles prosecutions differently, with some seeming taking a tougher stance, aiming to maximize convictions. But I've not yet been able to find somebody with a direct experience of prosecution by SWR.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
I recall an SWR case not so long ago and found it - circs a bit different but it may help you if you to read through.

Key thing is now to await the letter - assume you gave them the correct address and they do not make an error with it - as that would seem to be the greatest chance of it ending up in court without you knowing if the letter goes astray - watch out for it and also maybe consider contacting SWR if you have not heard in say 2 to 3 months?

b0b

Established Member
also renew that railcard ASAP - that can only help with convincing SWR that it was a genuine error

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice so far. To note, over three months have now passed, with no letter. I was told to expect to wait six weeks, and even accounting for pandemic related delays, significantly more time than that has now passed. Its unlikely that my address was taken down incorrectly as it was noted from my driving license, but not impossible i suppose.

I assume the best approach would just be to keep quiet? After what period of time should i consider this 'dropped' - 6 months?

Thanks again for any advice.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice so far. To note, over three months have now passed, with no letter. I was told to expect to wait six weeks, and even accounting for pandemic related delays, significantly more time than that has now passed. Its unlikely that my address was taken down incorrectly as it was noted from my driving license, but not impossible i suppose.

I assume the best approach would just be to keep quiet? After what period of time should i consider this 'dropped' - 6 months?

Thanks again for any advice.
They cannot bring a prosecution once more than 6 months have passed. Of course, if for whatever reason there is an error with the address, they could bring a prosecution within 6 months but you might not find out about it until you get chased for an "unpaid fine".

I would keep on waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.