• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Western Railway - Trainee Driver Vacancies (Farnham/Guildford/Wimbledon/Woking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member
As the title suggests, just a head’s up. Only been listed for a day or two and closing date tomorrow! (24th). Good luck to any who apply.

Clicky

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BallaBoy

Thanks for the heads up - only Guildford depot was listed on Wednesday night till 22:30!

theironroad

Established Member
Tbh, I don't know why they're (any toc really) advertise jobs as the applicant lists from previous campaigns can't have been exhausted judging by what gets writren on these threads.

Tbh, I don't know why they're (any toc really) advertise jobs as the applicant lists from previous campaigns can't have been exhausted judging by what gets writren on these threads.

You're not wrong there... still waiting for DMI for Basingstoke/Guildford since the end of Feb

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for the heads up - only Guildford depot was listed on Wednesday night till 22:30!
They were only up for a couple of days. I see Guildford is the only one left so they must have had a fair few applicants (as always I’d imagine). Most jobs are listed for at least a week, but these only had short dates.

Stigy

Established Member
You're not wrong there... still waiting for DMI for Basingstoke/Guildford since the end of Feb
Don’t understand this, I assume there’s a long-term plan? Have you pestered recruitment? They’re not the most efficient at the best of times. If I were you and I saw more jobs for trainees advertised, I’d be straight on the blower mate!

Don’t understand this, I assume there’s a long-term plan? Have you pestered recruitment? They’re not the most efficient at the best of times. If I were you and I saw more jobs for trainees advertised, I’d be straight on the blower mate!

I spoke to them a while back and they said it was a matter of waiting but did put me down for Guildford (I'd originally applied for Basingstoke).

Since then the SWR recruitment portal has been integrated with the First Group one, and I had to essentially reapply for the job - as did some others on here. I'm out of the country atm but I may well call them when I get back as it's becoming a tad frustrating

Stigy

Established Member
I spoke to them a while back and they said it was a matter of waiting but did put me down for Guildford (I'd originally applied for Basingstoke).

Since then the SWR recruitment portal has been integrated with the First Group one, and I had to essentially reapply for the job - as did some others on here. I'm out of the country atm but I may well call them when I get back as it's becoming a tad frustrating
I did hear about the integration actually. So you’re still through to DMI even though you had to reapply?

Stigy

Established Member
Yeah thankfully I don't have to resit any of the tests!
The tests stay with you anyway so that wouldn’t have been a requirement. Would have been annoying had they rejected you at the papersift though! Did you have to do the two assessments at the end of the application form? I’ll be honest, I was daunted by these but was pleasantly surprised :D

The tests stay with you anyway so that wouldn’t have been a requirement. Would have been annoying had they rejected you at the papersift though! Did you have to do the two assessments at the end of the application form? I’ll be honest, I was daunted by these but was pleasantly surprised :D

The SJT and the spot the differences one? If so then yes although for the latter test they said it should take no longer than 20 mins to complete - except they only gave you 5 mins!

Re the other tests I meant I'm glad they didn't make them enhanced!

Stigy

Established Member
The SJT and the spot the differences one? If so then yes although for the latter test they said it should take no longer than 20 mins to complete - except they only gave you 5 mins!

Re the other tests I meant I'm glad they didn't make them enhanced!
I didn’t notice how long they said it should take for the latter test, but was surprised it was only 5-mins long. I completed it in good time but 40-questions in 5 mins seems a lot initially. The first one (SJT) said it should take no more than 20-minutes but was untimed I believe....I did it in about 25.

Yeah, would have been a bit of a nightmare I guess if they changed them to enhanced, although only a couple of tests can be enhanced as far as I’m aware, including the enhanced onky assesment (DFFT). I’m in a bit of a predicament in that I’ve passed all tests before, but over 3-years ago. Apart from the MMI and enhanced tests I took recently (because Freightliner who I applied to could use all the previous passes up to five years old). Because SWR have a 3-year rule in terms of how long one can use their passes for, I’ll have to take all the tests again bar the MMI, or find a TOC/FOC who can use the test passes I already have up to five years. It would be handy if they have changed their rules (with the change over to First Group) to allow test results to be used for 5 years but I won’t hold my breath. Will have to see what happens.

I didn’t notice how long they said it should take for the latter test, but was surprised it was only 5-mins long. I completed it in good time but 40-questions in 5 mins seems a lot initially. The first one (SJT) said it should take no more than 20-minutes but was untimed I believe....I did it in about 25.

Yeah, would have been a bit of a nightmare I guess if they changed them to enhanced, although only a couple of tests can be enhanced as far as I’m aware, including the enhanced onky assesment (DFFT). I’m in a bit of a predicament in that I’ve passed all tests before, but over 3-years ago. Apart from the MMI and enhanced tests I took recently (because Freightliner who I applied to could use all the previous passes up to five years old). Because SWR have a 3-year rule in terms of how long one can use their passes for, I’ll have to take all the tests again bar the MMI, or find a TOC/FOC who can use the test passes I already have up to five years. It would be handy if they have changed their rules (with the change over to First Group) to allow test results to be used for 5 years but I won’t hold my breath. Will have to see what happens.

Ah right so your tests have expired except the MMI in terms of SWR. Hopefully they will change this rule as it really doesn't make any sense that they can be valid for 2-5 years depending on the TOC. Having said that, at the rate things are progressing mine will be out of date before I get a DMI

Stigy

Established Member
Ah right so your tests have expired except the MMI in terms of SWR. Hopefully they will change this rule as it really doesn't make any sense that they can be valid for 2-5 years depending on the TOC. Having said that, at the rate things are progressing mine will be out of date before I get a DMI
Indeed. Although the MMI was the part I dreaded most and as such am delighted I don’t have to do it again (yet), I’d sooner not have to worry about the other assessments too! At least if I do have to resit them and pass, I’ll have fresh assesment passes on my record.

You’ll get there, not sure how much you know about SWR, but their recruitment is extremely slow and usually requires a lot of pestering to progress. Bear with it and don’t be afraid to jog their memory a few times.

Picklebutton

SWR still need more drivers, but at the moment there is a bottleneck with existing trainees because of the DI shortage. A friend of mine who’s a trainee at Basingstoke, said his DI now has three trainees!

Picklebutton

Doesn’t apply to me, but an interesting and rather disappointing response for anyone who applies but hasn’t already progressed through the process with a previous application.

“......Whilst we endeavour to progress everyone who passes their online assessment to the next stage of the process, this is not always possible when we are dealing with high volumes of applications. On occasions like this and in the interests of fairness, we will only be able to progress those that fall within the top scoring bracket.......”

D
Doesn’t apply to me, but an interesting and rather disappointing response for anyone who applies but hasn’t already progressed through the process with a previous application.

“......Whilst we endeavour to progress everyone who passes their online assessment to the next stage of the process, this is not always possible when we are dealing with high volumes of applications. On occasions like this and in the interests of fairness, we will only be able to progress those that fall within the top scoring bracket.......”

Interesting as you say, but I suppose it's a fair way of dealing with high numbers of applicants

Derv Dooville

I’ve been rejected after doing the online assessments. Crazy thing is, I’m already in a Talent Pool for another TOC having passed everything already including the DMI. Just waiting for a call to start training. It’s lucky I’m not unemployed or I’d be in trouble the length of time this process takes. I’ve never known anything like it.

I’ve been rejected after doing the online assessments. Crazy thing is, I’m already in a Talent Pool for another TOC having passed everything already including the DMI. Just waiting for a call to start training. It’s lucky I’m not unemployed or I’d be in trouble the length of time this process takes. I’ve never known anything like it.

When did you take the online assessments?

Derv Dooville

When did you take the online assessments?
I did the assessments on the 25th that directly followed my application on the 24th and was told on the 26th I had been unsuccessful. Seemed very strange to me as I know I got 100% on the second lot and have previously been told how highly I have scored in all the assessments I have ever done. I have a brain that is made for the questions they are asking and currently work in an environment dealing with policies, rules and conflict all day long every day. Strange!

Stigy

Established Member
I did the assessments on the 25th that directly followed my application on the 24th and was told on the 26th I had been unsuccessful. Seemed very strange to me as I know I got 100% on the second lot and have previously been told how highly I have scored in all the assessments I have ever done. I have a brain that is made for the questions they are asking and currently work in an environment dealing with policies, rules and conflict all day long every day. Strange!
From experience they have a bizarre way of doing things, however that was with their old ‘non First Group’ application and online assessment. For example, I got all the way to the DMI with Freightliner, my TOC wouldn’t even sift my application. As an internal candidate I could apply as frequently as I liked, however I was told by recruitment all that was stopping my being ‘sifted’ was my answers to the 10 situational judgement questions at the end of the application form. Three goes I had, and failed all three attempts. I gave up in the end as the answers I ended up giving were those I’d previously discounted as the stupid options lol. The situational Jusgement was the first step of the Freightliner process and I got straight through. I can only imagine it’s as another poster mentioned in that they only take the highest scorers through to the next stage, even if they passed the sift?

I’ve not heard about this attempt yet. Did you get to do both online assessments before getting the email to say you hadn’t got through?

I'm sorry that you didn't make it through, but at least you haven't had to wait weeks or sometimes months to find out (I'm speaking from personal experience) - and of course you're in a talent pool which is great.

Picklebutton

I’ve been rejected after doing the online assessments. Crazy thing is, I’m already in a Talent Pool for another TOC having passed everything already including the DMI.
I wonder if this is in connection with them only picking the top scorers, as per the automated email that was being sent out following the two tests, or, was it the content of your accompanying application?

There is apparently no consistency or continuity across TOCs/FOCs in their selection procedure, it’s all down to each individual HR department’s interpretation.

Raileron

Has anyone heard anything more about any possible movement here? The last I heard (a few weeks ago) was that HR was waiting for word from senior management...

Has anyone heard anything more about any possible movement here? The last I heard (a few weeks ago) was that HR was waiting for word from senior management...

I certainly haven't but I'm ever hopeful that one day I'll get the email inviting me to a DMI!

Picklebutton

Great to know that something is happening. Is the DMI your last hurdle before medical? I’ve done the DMI and am just waiting for the MMI.
Yep, DMI is last hurdle. Everything else done and dusted. This is my second DMI, as it’s for a different depot to the one I originally applied for.

Status
Not open for further replies.