• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Yorks Day Ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am thinking of doing a little 'sightseeing' trip to South Yorkshire and wondering if there is a South Yorkshire day ticket (like the West Yorkshire Day Rover) and how much it would be. I am 15, so qualify for child fares and also want to find the quickest and cheapest way from Todmorden to a boundary point with South Yorkshire. Would it be best to get a WY day rover and go via Leeds for East Coast to Doncaster/Retford.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Depending how far you wish to go, the South Pennines ticket may also be appropriate. £10.25 for a child fare and covers the line between Leeds and Manchester via Todmorden :)

34D

Established Member
Would it be best to get a WY day rover and go via Leeds for East Coast to Doncaster/Retford.
Thanks in advance.

Point 1 - Retford is in Notts, not South Yorks
Point 2 - be aware of clause 19c NRCOC - you'd have to be on a train that stops where your tickets change over, and if you travelled on EC you'd need to buy Todmorden-Doncaster.
Point 3 - if cost is your objective, look at the cheapest of Tod to denby dale, darton, moorthorpe or south elmsall - I recall Northern telling me several years ago that Leeds-South Elmsall tickets were also valid to Moorthorpe, and have a letter somewhere (may not be the case now) so if you fancied going into SY one way and out another, this could work.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I would suggest the south pennines day ranger as being much better value for money. Only disadvantage is you cant get to doncaster. Ive used the South yorkshire ticket and its easy to get bored very quickly.

HowMuch?

Great idea to come here. Hope you have a good day.

Others can comment on the best routes between Tod and Sheffield. I'll just mention the bit I know about particularly which is the South Yorkshire tickets (I always have a monthly one)

First a warning. Although the WY and SY tickets do meet nicely (ie without gaps) you DO have to get a train that stops at one of the changeover points (Denby Dale, Darton, S Elmsall, and Moorthorpe) Only the stop-everywhere trains stop at these places - for instance the Huddersfield-Sheffield train (stops at Denby Dale) takes 90 minutes.

For full info on the SY Day Tickets go here
http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/ticketfinder/
There is a form to fill in which brings up the right ticket for you depending how old you are, what areas you want to cover, what modes, etc. The rest of the site has some useful maps and stuff.

From what you say, I guess the one you want is either the SY TravelMaster (£7.20) or DayRover (£6.00). They both cover all SY buses, trains, and trams. The only difference is that the cheap one isn't valid until 9:30am. That's OK if you coming from Tod on a stopper because you won't be coming very fast!

I don't think there is a Child or Railcard discount (if you tick the U16 box on the form, nothing comes up at all - which is bad form design).

You will be able to buy the SY DayRover from the Train Guard. To avoid any problems, tell him before you get on the train what you are doing. To be doubly sure, ask at the ticket office first, so you can if necessary tell the guard you were unable to get one before getting on the train. It's just possible they won't sell it until the train's first stop in S Yorks.

You might just check whether you can do without the WY ticket by getting a cheap return ticket or two advances on a fast train to Sheffield, or Doncaster, or Meadowhall (from Leeds, probably). I doubt very much if you will beat the price of the WY day ticket, but IF it isn't too much dearer you might find the shorter journey times and swisher trains worth it.

If your first alighting point in SY is one of these three stations and you haven't yet got your SY ticket, you can get it at the station ticket office or the nearby TravelSouthYorkshire desk. You can also get it on a bus or (at Sheffield or Meadowhall) on a tram, but don't let them sell you anything other than a SY DayRover or Travelmaster - they'll try to push their own ticket at you which has very limited validity.

Note that between Donny and Sheffield, you can use your SY ticket on the Cross Country or TransPennine trains to Sheffield. And from Meadowhall, you can use your ticket on the tram into Sheffield.

I think there's a few of us on this forum from South Yorks. If you let us know the kind of thing you might like vist, we'll probably know something about it between us. If you are at all interested in engineering, then Kelham Island Museum is very good.

For a slightly different trip, have you looked at the South Pennines Ranger? More expensive, but faster trains and includes Manchester!

Cheers HowMuch?, just the info I was looking for. As a side note I don't think I have time to go to any museams. I have never been to Sheffield before and when I say sightseeing I mean exploring the local area. Thanks again and I'll check out the South Pennines ticket.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Cheers HowMuch?, just the info I was looking for. As a side note I don't think I have time to go to any museams. I have never been to Sheffield before and when I say sightseeing I mean exploring the local area. Thanks again and I'll check out the South Pennines ticket.

South pennines i have done 3/4 times and enjoyed everytime. Valid on everything between manchester and stockport and includes the hadfield services which are 323 etc. Hope valley route which is very scenic too.

Its called south pennines day ranger.

HowMuch?

Have a great time. You'll easily fill a day travelling around. South Yorks goes so far that if you get the tram to Crystal Peaks you just touch Derbyshire for abot 10 yards on the way. In fact you can get the bus to Fox House, which is in the Peak District with fantastic Derbyshire views towards Hathersage and Mam Tor but is free with your pass because it's still in Sheffield! And Donny is nearly in Lincolnshire (with Robin Hood Airport, just to annoy those Midlanders!)

My post looks like I'm recommending the South Pennine ticket while completely ignoring all the other people who had the idea first. How Rude! Actually it's just that my post was so stupidly long that the other posts weren't there when I started it.

I suppose you've seen the other thread where someone is doing this exact same thing but in reverse ("Hebden Bridge").

34D

Established Member
You can also get it on a bus or (at Sheffield or Meadowhall) on a tram, but don't let them sell you anything other than a SY DayRover or Travelmaster - they'll try to push their own ticket at you which has very limited validity.

Can all bus operators in SY sell the above two tickets on the bus? In WY buses (at present) can just sell the bus only day ticket.

Cundy66

I am a conductor for supertram in sheffield and can advise you that there is no child day tripper it is a one cost of £6.00 and can be bought and used on trains after 0930 can also be used on the trams and buses all day. This is limited to the south yorkshire border so can not be used on East Coast services as only one stop is in south yorkshire respectively Doncaster. You would either need a return from Doncaster - Retford (on the london line) or Kiveton Park - Retford (on the sheffield - lincoln line)

There is a child day ticket but that's just stagecoach bus and tram £3.50 so from your question it would be £6.00
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can all bus operators in SY sell the above two tickets on the bus? In WY buses (at present) can just sell the bus only day ticket.

Buses and trams in SY can sell the south yorkshire day tripper too only can be bought and used on trains after 0930

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I am a conductor for supertram in sheffield and can advise you that there is no child day tripper it is a one cost of £6.00 and can be bought and used on trains after 0930 can also be used on the trams and buses all day. This is limited to the south yorkshire border so can not be used on East Coast services as only one stop is in south yorkshire respectively Doncaster. You would either need a return from Doncaster - Retford (on the london line) or Kiveton Park - Retford (on the sheffield - lincoln line)

There is a child day ticket but that's just stagecoach bus and tram £3.50 so from your question it would be £6.00

Buses and trams in SY can sell the south yorkshire day tripper too only can be bought and used on trains after 0930

Hmm interesting i didnt realise there wasnt a child version, i thought it might only be for the SYPTE child bus card holders but fair enough. Thanks for the info. (not that im anywhere near a child anymore :P )

HowMuch?

Thanks for prompting me to get the magnifying glass out. The two day tickets valid on SYorks buses, trains, trams are TRAVELMASTER DAY (Adult £7.20 all day) and DAYTRIPPER (Adult £6 after 9:30). I'll refer to them as AllDay and OffPeak below, though both tickets are valid in the evening peak.

The validity/availability results are a mixture from good to potentially not worth buying.

Good
- Peak ticket extends to three WYorks stations (S Elmsall, Moorthorpe, Denby Dale) to allow easy transition if you are on a train that stops there.
- .. and the WYorks card does the same thing at Darton in SYorks.
- Buy OffPeak ticket on buses and trams
- Buy both tickets at manned (!) stations and SYPTE interchange counters. It doesn't say that manned (how unPC!) stations are restricted to stations in SouthYorks. This may be an oversight.

Annoying in principle but probably of no consequence to OP
- Peak ticket appears to be unpurchasable on buses and trams
- OffPeak ticket is possibly not valid at the three WY stations, possibly leaving a gap that can only be filled by an ordinary train ticket. So this probably rules out thr OffPeak ticket, unless the OP is arriving in SY on an ordinary ticket.

Very frustrating for the OP
- No mention of buying either ticket on trains, even at unmanned stations. This would rule out combining the WY/SY cards if the OP couldn't get the TRAVELMASTER in advance. It might be an oversight !
- I can't find a refernce to half-prices on the SYPTE site (called TravelSouthYorkshire). This might be another oversight because there is at least some reason to believe there is a half-price version if you buy it from a TOC.

Too many possible oversights. So we need real info. Any rail staff reading this with the proper gen ?
- Buy TRAVELMASTER DAY at WYorks stations? On train at Denby Dale ? Child price?

These links describe the tickets. Within these pages are more links to the SAME map and conditions leaflet This isn't a mistake, because the DAYTRIPPER is just a TRAVELMASTER with one restrictions clause.

Daytripper (after 9:30)
TravelMaster (all day)

========================================
Mini Cheapy Option (if no child price for Travelmaster)
========================================

You can get a normal train ticket to Chapeltown/Meadowhall/Sheffield with a SheffieldPlusBus (£3? for an adult) added on. This covers all buses in "Sheffield" - an area well beyond the city itself - and the whole tram network.

JoeGJ1984

I was looking at the Daytripper (off-peak) ticket yesterday and I think it is also valid to Denby Dale, Moorthorpe and South Elmsall, as well as the (peak) Travelmaster.

Edit: I thought there was no difference in area between the two tickets until I looked at the Terms and Conditions (same for both) here and it says about Daytripper under clause 4:

"4. South Yorkshire DayTripper
a. South Yorkshire Day Tripper is valid on rail services, as specified previously in Clauses 2 and 3 (except that it is not valid to/from/in any adjoining area), scheduled to depart after 0930 Monday-Friday, or at any time on Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holidays.
b. It is valid at any time as specified in Clause 2 above on bus and tram services."

(My bold and italics). This I assume refers to Denby Dale, Moorthorpe and South Elmsall.

Last edited:

HowMuch?

I've spoken to a few people today. All very helpful and friendly, but with slightly different stories about these tickets. Because of the doubt about whether the. Off peak DAYTRIPPER is valid at Deny Dale, S.Elmsall and Moorhorpe (it definitely IS valid at Darton) I'll just refer to the peak TRAVELMASTER from now on, other than to say that the Daytripper IS valid before 9:30 on buses and trams, but bot on trains.

- Everyone agrees with the Stagecoach driver above that there is no child version.

- The Station ticket seller says. You can't buy it from West Yorkshire stations. He actually said "we can't sell theirs and they can't sell ours" - although a poster here has managed to buy a W YORKS one at Barnsley (from SYPTE rather than the station?)

- SYPTE and Rail counter staff say it can't be bought on trains ( I specifically mentioned unstaffed stations at least to the man at the station ticket window).

- BUT the man who really matters, the guard on a Northern train, said that you CAN buy it on the train at Denby.

Last edited:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that I was sold a SY DayTripper or something like it on the train a couple of years back, outside South Yorkshire!

I was travelling Honley to Rotherham and asked for a return and Rotherham PlusBus. The helpful Guard said that it would be cheaper for me to get a Honley to Denby Dale peak return ticket plus an off-peak SY DayTripper, as the train called at Denby Dale just after 09:30. Who says that the railway doesn't promote split ticketing?

Sapphire Blue

a poster here has managed to buy a W YORKS one at Barnsley)

The poster was I.

In fact I have, over the past 10 years or so, bought dozens at Barnsley station (along with a supplementary rail ticket to Denby Dale or Darton).
These have all recently been on the special ticket stock designed for the purpose with the picture beneath all the printing.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The SY Day Tripper is definitely valid to West Yorkshire boundary points, as are all Travelmaster products. It can be bought on the train, but the peak time day Travelmaster cannot be bought onboard. Source: I work for SYPTE.

HowMuch?

Max, Thanks for the inside story!

Are you in a position to bring this thread to the attention the person who edits the terms and conditions leaflet? You can see I've been confused by it, and I don't think I'm all THAT dim.

The Daytripper clause certainly reads to me as though it's saying it's not valid outside SY. I suppose from what you say that this clause is actually MEANT to be talking about the other end of the map Vspinkhill is it?). A bit of a clear up would be helpful.

Ta again for helping out here.

And please pass on my thanks to the SYPTE people at Hillsboro and Meadow hall and Pond St, who couldn't have been nicer.

UPDATE

I think I may have got to the bottom of the "can Travelmasters be sold on trains" issue. And the answer is YES to both types. Hurrah!

Another helpful and humorous Northern guard (I'm becoming a bit too much of a fan I think, I'll have to think of something they've done wrong) tells me they DEFINITELY sell both Daytripper and Travelmaster Day on Northern trains. He even told me the ticket machine code for the Travelmaster, which I didn't write down, stupidly:oops: - it definitely began G0 (zero).

He said the confusion has probably arisen because there WAS a period when they didn't sell them This was because the ones printed by the train ticket machine were so unlike the ones bus drivers were used to, that bus drivers would often refuse them. The passengers would then naturally get stressed and embarrassed and have a good moan at the Northern guard on the way home. So Northern stopped doing them.

But they selling them again now, after a redesign which makes them more recognisable to bus drivers (TRAVELMASTER in big letters at the top, apparently).

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
But they selling them again now, after a redesign which makes them more recognisable to bus drivers (TRAVELMASTER in big letters at the top, apparently).

(Fantasy) when the WY/SY ITSO is properly implemented, issues like this should become very simple indeed :)

HowMuch?

(Fantasy) when the WY/SY ITSO is properly implemented, issues like this should become very simple indeed :)

I refer the honourable gentleman to any of the bazillion websites discussing the problems caused by Oyster of overcharging and of possibly unwarrantable fraud prosecutions.

Either for ammunition or annoyance, depending which side of the argument he's on;)

Status
Not open for further replies.