• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton Central Pt. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRegular

Whenever I'm at Southampton Central, I can't help but notice a bay platform on the same island as platform 4, pointing towards Bournemouth and Salisbury. The platform edge is maintained, and I occasionaly see 4 coach 450s stabled there, but as far as I can tell it never sees passenger use and is unsigned.

Does anyone know if this 'platform 5' has ever been used in passenger service, or if there are any future plans to bring it into use (for potential services from the Fawley line or say a Southampton-Bristol stopper)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi. Following a small bit of research regarding platform 5, I managed to find this useful section of information on Wikipedia:
There is also an ex-Red Star Parcels bay on the Bournemouth end of platform 4. Previously numbered as platform 5, stopping services to Brockenhurst used this platform, but the platform can no longer be used for passenger services due to the lack of a proper starting signal. It is now used for the stabling of spare units. A number of goods loops are located a short distance away allowing terminating trains to clear the platforms for through services if required, and also to allow passenger services to pass freight trains.

I hope this somewhat helps with uncovering the 'mysteriousness' of platform 5. :)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is also a normal overnight stabling location, there’s a 444 in there from about 0030 until about 0515 that shunts and forms an early up departure to Eastleigh from platform 1.

Veteran Member
Whenever I'm at Southampton Central, I can't help but notice a bay platform on the same island as platform 4, pointing towards Bournemouth and Salisbury. The platform edge is maintained, and I occasionaly see 4 coach 450s stabled there, but as far as I can tell it never sees passenger use and is unsigned.

Does anyone know if this 'platform 5' has ever been used in passenger service, or if there are any future plans to bring it into use (for potential services from the Fawley line or say a Southampton-Bristol stopper)?
Historically, ie pre electrification, P5 was regularly used for stopping passenger departures, which sometimes arrived in 4 and shunted.

molecrochip

Network Rail's long term plan for Southampton Central sees platform 5 extended the full length of platform 4 and they become an island platform. Platform 1 also gains a platform 0 as a second island with new station buildings etc.

A local forum recently suggested that Network Rail were looking at buying the old ToysRUs building with the view of a new multi-story carpark, integrated bus/coach/taxi rank and station building with bridge over the road linking up with existing station.

Wychwood93

Network Rail's long term plan for Southampton Central sees platform 5 extended the full length of platform 4 and they become an island platform. Platform 1 also gains a platform 0 as a second island with new station buildings etc.

A local forum recently suggested that Network Rail were looking at buying the old ToysRUs building with the view of a new multi-story carpark, integrated bus/coach/taxi rank and station building with bridge over the road linking up with existing station.
A future of six platforms could well be of use. The main limiting factor will always be the tunnel - to expand it to three or even four track would be very expensive and the 3 or 4 would have to continue to Northam Junction. Demolish assorted housing and rebuild sundry bridges. Beneficial for the railway but perhaps not so for the displaced residents etc. The line was built with the provision for 4-track down from Eastleigh - look at the location of the station buildings at Swaythling (down side) and St.Denys (up side) and the Wide Lane overbridge just down from Southampton Parkway. That was when there was the Terminus station as well as what is now called Central and the tunnel, at that time, was not quite the hinderance that it is now. I recall at some time an idea of a new tunnel heading more north-east from the Central - other Members may recall this?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
When I was a local manager at Southampton in the mid 1980s were weren't allowed to leave a traction unit in P5 for any length of time because it had platform faces both sides. (This prevented any driver's or Carriage & Wagon inspection or inhibited addressing of any fault.) We would only leave 'vans' in there.

moley

A future of six platforms could well be of use. The main limiting factor will always be the tunnel - to expand it to three or even four track would be very expensive and the 3 or 4 would have to continue to Northam Junction. Demolish assorted housing and rebuild sundry bridges. Beneficial for the railway but perhaps not so for the displaced residents etc. The line was built with the provision for 4-track down from Eastleigh - look at the location of the station buildings at Swaythling (down side) and St.Denys (up side) and the Wide Lane overbridge just down from Southampton Parkway. That was when there was the Terminus station as well as what is now called Central and the tunnel, at that time, was not quite the hinderance that it is now. I recall at some time an idea of a new tunnel heading more north-east from the Central - other Members may recall this?
Network Rail seem to believe that there is merit in the additional platform faces / lines even with only two lines through the tunnel.

Presumably it provides four through platforms so freight can loop passenger services together with two faces to deal with terminating services.

Status
Not open for further replies.