• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton central to Luton airport (18/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mb3245

Hi,

I would like to know whether the off peak group save return from Southampton Central is valid for travel through Barnham, changing trains at Three Bridges and continuing directly to Luton Parkway. This is a much simpler way of travel as we will avoid changing trains in central London, and only takes a little longer.
- What's the first train it is valid on from Southampton (according to the normal timetable)?
- Is it eligible for a Delay repay from Southern if we get delayed?
- Is there any cheaper ticket from Southampton to Luton Airport
We are travelling tomorrow around 9:00, 1 adult, 1 child and 1 adult with 16-25 railcard.

Thank you

- I've forgotten to add that we are returning on 2/9/16 after 9am but can wait until the end of peak.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Yes, that route is fine. It is valid on trains arriving in London after 1000 so the first train you could use is the 0810 from Southampton.

Mb3245

Thank you for your response.

I did think it was, It was just that every time I tried it in a journey planner, and put 'via barnham', it crushed saying that there were no tickets available.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hypothetical question -

What about Off peak return from Chandler's Ford to Luton Airport? Would that be valid on this route - Eastleigh - Fratton - Barnham - three bridges - Luton airport or even though Southampton central? It is couple of pounds cheaper than the ticket from Southampton Central.

Last edited:

greatkingrat

Established Member
No, as Chandlers Ford fare is less than the Southampton fare, you can't use Southampton as your routeing point. You would have to go via Eastleigh, but the route via Barnham isn't a valid route for Eastleigh, only for Southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.