• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Branch line workings from 2020 (when 466s have to leave them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Recent posts in this thread about what rolling stock will replace 466s on the SE branch lines maybe better in a new separate thread so I've started one on moderator advice:

I can see the 3 car 375s being utilised on these branches and some of the longer distance routes ending up with a 4 car 465 with a 2 car 466 in tow. Eugh...

This was the only solution I could think of - if you no longer have any 2-coach units available in your fleet, then you have to find the next-smallest. That would leave the 3-coach 375/3s. They won't like taking 375s away from the Medway Valley, but I can't see a better solution without subleasing and re-training the Grove Park drivers on different stock.

Aren't there something like only 4 2car only 466 diagrams? This isn't a big issue overall.

A 375 on the Bromley North branch will look weird, even if it is the best solution. It will be interesting to see where on the mainline suddenly becomes a Networker train instead of 375 based. My money is the CHX-Tunbridge Wells 375 set(s), which would be the most suttle/logical for what options are available, but if not a peak only set that goes down the Maidstone East line (on top of 2 such 465/466 sets) or Ashford via Tonbridge.

It might not look like a big issue numerically but Southeastern do of course rely on all the rolling stock they have for all their train classes, which is the reason 12 car Metro trains are limited despite the numerous station upgrades to achieve their compatibility. Overcrowding is already an issue widely so SE will have to shift stock around very wisely to minimise an increase in overcrowding problems thanks to this 466 derogation.

Is there a known date/time when what new branch line allocations will have been decided before implemation in December?

(I've gone for Allocations, etc. as while it's speculation still, 466s not being able to work alone on the branches is inevitable)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.