• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Customer Service - Are They Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I’m currently travelling on an extremely delayed journey, thanks to Storm Dennis, using split tickets from Sheffield to Ore via Derby and Tamworth.

One of my split tickets is an advance for the 20:37 service from St Pancras Int’l (STP) to Ore (ORE) via Ashford (AFK).

I know I can just catch the next train from STP,
However I’m extremely worried about not being able to connect with the 22:37 at STP and thus last train to Ore (23:25) and be stranded at Ashford.

I telephoned Southeastern’s customer service for clarification and they told me I would have to pay for a taxi in that case and later claim from the company that caused the delay (how is a passenger meant to know who that is?). I asked for a manager and he said the same thing. It’s important to note I didn’t mention split ticketing once, just that I had an advance journey from Sheffield to Ore.

I don’t have the means to pay for a taxi. Was this right? Should a passenger be required to pay more than a ticket to complete their journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
I’m currently travelling on an extremely delayed journey, thanks to Storm Dennis, using split tickets from Sheffield to Ore via Derby and Tamworth.

One of my split tickets is an advance for the 20:37 service from St Pancras Int’l (STP) to Ore (ORE) via Ashford (AFK).

I know I can just catch the next train from STP,
However I’m extremely worried about not being able to connect with the 22:37 at STP and thus last train to Ore (23:25) and be stranded at Ashford.

I telephoned Southeastern’s customer service for clarification and they told me I would have to pay for a taxi in that case and later claim from the company that caused the delay (how is a passenger meant to know who that is?). I asked for a manager and he said the same thing. It’s important to note I didn’t mention split ticketing once, just that I had an advance journey from Sheffield to Ore.

I don’t have the means to pay for a taxi. Was this right? Should a passenger be required to pay more than a ticket to complete their journey?
Mate if you miss the 22.37 from St Pancras there's a 23.42 from Victoria to Tonbridge with a connection to Hastings arrive 01.33. Ore is a suburb of Hastings and is walkable if you can't get a taxi. I live halfway along Marshlink and getting taxis from Ashford to come out here is not easy and will cost an arm and a leg let alone going to Ore. Where are you now?

gray1404

Established Member
If it becomes obvious once you are at St Pancras that you are going to end up stranded speak to staff there for assistance. Failing that ask the staff at Ashford to order a taxi for you so that you can get to your destination. Any rail company in a position to help a passenger who would otherwise be stranded should do so. They should book this taxi on their account. You should not have to be paying for it yourself and claiming the money back. These rights are afforded to you regardless of he number of tickets you use to complete your journey. If you do end up having to pay for anything yourself, make sure you only do this once rail staff have refused to get a taxi for you (or provide an alternative). Be sure to get the name and anyone you speak to. If you do end up having to pay and claim the money back, this would be from the company who delayed you. However, you should also submit a separate complaint to the train company who refused to provide assistance and thus left you stranded. I hope however you do make the last train of the day, failing that they will provided you with a taxi.

it is also worth asking if you can travel on a direct service to London from either Sheffield (or another point you happen to be at on your route). I would do this if there happens to be a direct train to London that will get you there sooner and going your original planned way may mean you'll miss the last train to Ore. The best way to achieve this is to explain the situation to the guard before boarding and seek permission. Although you might not have such an entitlement, at times of disruption you may be afforded more help. Plus.when it comes to the last train of the day, following disruption, any train company that can help you must and that is not limited to just proving a taxi. That can also include letting you use trains and routes you otherwise wouldn't have been able to to get you to your destination so you are not left stranded.

Veteran Member
It is SE's responsibility to get you to Ore, however that doesnt mean a taxi from Ashford.

I would think in the circumstances the proper action would be to head for the last SE service from Charing Cross/London Bridge to Hastings. NRE says 2322 from STP.
(I presume you have a payment card that would allow you to use Thameslink if barrier staff were unhelpful, and could draw £10 from an ATM for a Hastings taxi.)
paul1609 has mentioned the 2342 ex Victoria - that's also an option but I predict you'd have to pay the tuhe fare :(

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Mate if you miss the 22.37 from St Pancras there's a 23.42 from Victoria to Tonbridge with a connection to Hastings arrive 01.33. Ore is a suburb of Hastings and is walkable if you can't get a taxi. I live halfway along Marshlink and getting taxis from Ashford to come out here is not easy and will cost an arm and a leg let alone going to Ore.

I know. I live there at the moment. I struggle to walk up from Hastings currently and I don’t have the ability to pay for a new ticket (that’s a whole different story) nor will Southeastern allow me to use my advance on Charing Cross services. Thank you for replying though!

EDIT: Because I’m on mobile and multi quote is playing silly buggers, thanks for all your responses! I’ll be sure to reply with how it went and thank you all properly when I’m at a proper keyboard.

gray1404

Established Member
Have you spoken to any staff on the ground? There can be a lot more common sense applied on the ground compared to what you are told on the phone. You need to ask staff on the ground before you can say you have had a refusal. Where exactly are you right now and how is your train, that you're currently on, performing?

paul1609

Established Member
I think if you go to Victoria with a London terminals to ore advance they will let you on. I've done it to Headcorn with a ticket to Appledore on many occasions and it's always been accepted with no problems. How old are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.