• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern DMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhia

wickeddddddddd news mate congrats!!! I had my dmi last Thursday was super nervous but done my best hopefully hear from them today as they said they will make a decision today!! I know there was 2 course starts one in January an other in April so hopefully I’m successful an get the jan start! But once again we’ll done mate bet you feel over the moon
Hey Jaydee.congratulations on passing your DMI

Not sure if you can help me. I have my dmi coming up next week. Do you have any last minute tips please ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gorlash1886

Make sure you have read and tried to understand the tpws info you got given, research the company, prepare your answers in a STAR format but most importantly relax and let your personality show, it's the last hurdle and now they will be thinking of how you fit into the team the DM's interviewing you want to see you now as a person as well as the number from the assessment centre.

Gekko5154

I had my interview with SE in 2016 so not sure I can be much help but if they haven't changed it much then this info could help you and others.

There was a rating system for the interview and you would be marked from 1-4 on each question.
1. Poor fit - fails to give evidence against criteria.
2. Acceptable fit - evidence provided meets some of the criteria.
3. Good fit - evidence provided meets most of the criteria.
4. Excellent fit - all evidence provided against criteria is positive.

First they will ask about your cv/experience. They'll want you to explain your current role and what you enjoy/least enjoy doing at work.

They'll ask you to tell them about Southeastern, their geographical service area, the main London areas and some of the routes for the depot applied for.

They'll ask why are you applying to become a train driver and what do you consider to be the main priorities of a driver?

They'll ask how you feel about working alone for long periods of time and highlight a time when you had to spend extended time alone and how you avoided boredom?

They'll ask you for a time when you were unfairly criticised by someone? Why was this? How did you respond? What was the outcome?

Also they'll ask about a time when you have demonstrated real commitment to an organisation or a team? How did you show this? Why was it so important? How did your attitude compare to that of those around you?

Just make sure you're clear, concise and confident!

Oh yeah make sure you know the values and who the MD is lol. Anyway this could all be out of date as people have said they added some TPWS stuff in there..... goodluck!

bizman

They are pretty desperate for drivers so if you follow most of the advice given you will be fine - due to other TOCS having quite a big pay disparity now alot of qualified drivers are leaving as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

Rhia

Thank you all so much. I’m really nervous as I done the interview back in April via video link and failed unfortunately so this is my finally chance to give it a shot but hopefully with all your advice and lots of prep and revision. I should pass. Thanks again

TheAnswer89

Thank you all so much. I’m really nervous as I done the interview back in April via video link and failed unfortunately so this is my finally chance to give it a shot but hopefully with all your advice and lots of prep and revision. I should pass. Thanks again
DMI doesnt count as strike. You can apply to different TOCs and they will not even know you failed DMI at all.

DA1

Hey Jaydee.congratulations on passing your DMI

Not sure if you can help me. I have my dmi coming up next week. Do you have any last minute tips please ?
Have you had your DMI? How did it go?

Rhia

It’s on Thursdays 11th feb. Fingers crossed. I can’t remember all the questions I was asked in my fist dmi as this is my second try but hope it goes well

They are pretty desperate for drivers so if you follow most of the advice given you will be fine - due to other TOCS having quite a big pay disparity now alot of qualified drivers are leaving as soon as an opportunity presents itself.
Do you or anybody else here remember how long after your dmi you was given your outcome of being successful . As was this by phone call or email please ?
Also I’m really worried about making sure I have examples of experiences for everything they ask me.

Last edited:

TheAnswer89

It’s on Thursdays 11th feb. Fingers crossed. I can’t remember all the questions I was asked in my fist dmi as this is my second try but hope it goes well

Do you or anybody else here remember how long after your dmi you was given your outcome of being successful . As was this by phone call or email please ?
Also I’m really worried about making sure I have examples of experiences for everything they ask me.
It varies unfortunately. I got yes within 24 hrs, but many people here got their yes in 12 days.

Jayse.M86

@Rhia where do you have to go for the DMI? Is it the same place as the assessment centre?
She will most likely have it via teams at home which is becoming common due to the pandemic.

It varies as said but most likely you’ll know within 4-5 days depending how many other applicants are interviewing for your chosen depot!!

Rhia

@traingeek97 Yep, Microsoft teams unfortunately. But will give it my best shot
@Jayse.M86 hopefully they don’t keep me waiting. I just want to know as soon as I can’t take the suspense like last time. Only to hear bad news

traingeek97

@Jayse.M86 hopefully they don’t keep me waiting. I just want to know as soon as I can’t take the suspense like last time. Only to hear bad news
Best of luck. I’m sure you’ll be great. Do they still do the Assessment Centres in Tonbridge or did you do that virtual too?

Gorlash1886

I did mine on teams last July on a Friday got the call Monday afternoon to tell me I was successful, the teams interview is not that bad and I felt confident it would've been the same sort of atmosphere face to face

Mikee1

I'm in the process of becoming a trainee driver aswell. I just wanted to ask, how long has it taken you to get to your final interview? How many stages are their and assessments etc if you don't mind me asking. Also, good luck!

TheAnswer89

I'm in the process of becoming a trainee driver aswell. I just wanted to ask, how long has it taken you to get to your final interview? How many stages are their and assessments etc if you don't mind me asking. Also, good luck!

First stage is online assessment also called here first sift.
Second stage is physiometrics assessment day. Staget that most people get rejected.
Third stage is MMI or DMI. Multi modal interview that you need to pass to national standard to progress with your application.
Fourth stage is DMI or MMI. Drivers Manager Interview. Two strikes out rule doesn’t apply for this stage.

3rd and 4th stages vary in terms of which interview you will get first. Depends on TOC internal decisions.

Mikee1

First stage is online assessment also called here first sift.
Second stage is physiometrics assessment day. Staget that most people get rejected.
Third stage is MMI or DMI. Multi modal interview that you need to pass to national standard to progress with your application.
Fourth stage is DMI or MMI. Drivers Manager Interview. Two strikes out rule doesn’t apply for this stage.

3rd and 4th stages vary in terms of which interview you will get first. Depends on TOC internal decisions.
Thank you for your response! So many stages! No wonder it takes about 2 years to get through the application. I have just completed one online test. Is that the only one before proceeding to the assessment day? I heard from one person their are 13 assessments in total?

Rhia

Ohh great. how far are you at the moment in the process ??
I first applied in 2018/19. Failed my 1st attempt at the assessment on one test, the two- hand co ord. went back again just to do the computer tests and passed..... Then failed my first interview back in April 2020 and this now my second shot at the interview which I had yesterday. Still waiting for the outcome. Good luck on your journey. If your really determined don’t give up many people only can dream of this job so I’m grateful to even have gotten this far.

Best of luck. I’m sure you’ll be great. Do they still do the Assessment Centres in Tonbridge or did you do that virtual too?
Yep , Done my assessments at tonbridge. Dmi is virtual at present

Thank you for your response! So many stages! No wonder it takes about 2 years to get through the application. I have just completed one online test. Is that the only one before proceeding to the assessment day? I heard from one person their are 13 assessments in total?
I don’t recall having an online assessment. What did this comprise of ??

Mikee1

I first applied in 2018/19. Failed my 1st attempt at the assessment on one test, the two- hand co ord. went back again just to do the computer tests and passed..... Then failed my first interview back in April 2020 and this now my second shot at the interview which I had yesterday. Still waiting for the outcome. Good luck on your journey. If your really determined don’t give up many people only can dream of this job so I’m grateful to even have gotten this far.

It wasn't an assessment

It was actually an online questionnaire, I am at the beginning of this journey. Thanks for the reply gives me real confidence of succeeding. During your second shot of becoming a trainee train driver, did you purchase any materials to give you an upper hand of passing those assessments or did you go in not knowing what the assessments were going to be?

Rhia

Hi Rhia, have you had a response yet? I had mine a day before yours by looks of it!
Yes I have passed. !!! I’m over the moon. I’m still waiting for it to sink in. How did yours go.

Hope you get some good news soon. What sort of questions were you asked?
From what I could remember exactly.
Why this role
Tell me time you was wrongly critisized
Tell me time when you delivered excellent customer service
What is good customer service
What is the company values
Tell me time you made mistake
Tell me about yourself
What do I know about southeastern
Tell me about TPWS
Why safety is important
Attendance ?
Getting to work ?

Hope this helps.

I would just like to thank you all here for any help and advice you gave me which helped me to passed all my assessments and DMI. I’m really over the moon and grateful for
Your help

thanks again guys.

Thfc86

Congratulations! Well done. Yeah I passed did they mention when your medical would be? Which depot did you apply to?

Thfc86

That’s good not too long to wait! I haven’t had mine confirmed yet. Do you mind if ask which depot you applied to? No probs if you don’t want to share

traingeek97

Yes I have passed. !!! I’m over the moon. I’m still waiting for it to sink in. How did yours go.

Why this role
Tell me about yourself
Tell me about TPWS
Why safety is important
Attendance ?
Getting to work ?

Hope this helps.

I would just like to thank you all here for any help and advice you gave me which helped me to passed all my assessments and DMI. I’m really over the moon and grateful for
Your help

thanks again guys.

Thanks so much and that's great news that you passed the interview. Bet you can't wait to start. Do you know what depot you will be based at? I've seen that Southeastern is opening recruitment for trainee drivers again this month so I'm hoping to get in.

Monkeyboy

Why this role
Tell me about yourself
Tell me about TPWS
Why safety is important
Attendance ?
Getting to work ?

Hope this helps.

Your help

thanks again guys.
Hi Rhia, that's great news for you. Many thanks for putting up the questions you remember being asked. It gives me areas I can concentrate on as well as my other Competencies for the DMI I have coming up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.