• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern driver shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

traingeek97

Southeastern still seems to be recruiting qualified drivers more than a month after the advert was uploaded.

I was speaking to a member of station staff today who told me they haven't been able to re-introduce a full timetable yet due to staff shortages.

Does anyone know if this is true? I assume some crew will be off because they're shielding - while training of new drivers has been impacted by the pandemic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Southeastern still seems to be recruiting qualified drivers more than a month after the advert was uploaded

I was speaking to a member of station staff today who told me they haven't been able to re-introduce a full timetable yet due to staff shortages.

Does anyone know if this is true? I assume some crew will be off because they're shielding - while training of new drivers has been impacted by the pandemic.

If you read the responses to another thread in this section:

You’ll soon see why they’re still advertising :D.

baz962

Established Member
About 10k less than other London tocs. Around 4 to 8 less leave day's than some. 15 minute longer , on the longest diagrams. Also the 40 minute rule probably stops many driver's.

DA1

Not sure this is quite true, there are still enough drivers for a full service. Many TOCS are still yet at full service and still won’t be in the near future. From the 6th July services at SE will be increasing to around 85-90% pre COVID so not far off.

whoosh

Established Member
Where I work is making plans on stepping up to a 90% weekday service at some point in the future. Some depots will actually have more driver diagrams than the normal service! This could be due to having to plan the PNBs around new parameters (compared to normal) of how many people it's assessed is safe at each PNB location - the result could be more, less efficient diagrams.

This could be a reason why South Eastern is having more difficulty - if they were already short of staff, then a temporary requirement for more staff with a reduced service might lead to cancellations.

Established Member
Aledgedly.... some Southern Drivers applied.
If true, I wonder what depots to be within 40mins? Hastings? Vic? Charing Cross? Can’t see many more other than those being in the radius?

Why would a Southern metro driver apply to SE metro, to do the same sort of work, for less money?!

They must be true cowboys, propping up the bar at the last chance saloon. I wonder if you can hear their spurs jingling as they change ends :D.

Last edited:

Evolution

I’d imagine you may get some freight drivers applying as it’s a route into a TOC and probably has better shifts. I wouldn’t be surprised if you get other metro drivers from Tyne & Wear, Merseyrail etc looking for a TOC job.

DA1

I’d imagine you may get some freight drivers applying as it’s a route into a TOC and probably has better shifts. I wouldn’t be surprised if you get other metro drivers from Tyne & Wear, Merseyrail etc looking for a TOC job.

Possibly freight but you won’t get any applicants from up north as you have to live within 40 mins.

SlimJim1694

Aledgedly.... some Southern Drivers applied.

Why would a Southern metro driver apply to SE metro, to do the same sort of work, for less money?!

A very good question. Can only assume, if true, that they are Southern metro drivers looking to get on mainline work. Wouldnt make sense to swap metro for metro with that paycut.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you get other metro drivers from Tyne & Wear, Merseyrail etc looking for a TOC job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while T&W metro drivers sign a bit of network rail infrastructure, I don't think they have a full European Train Driving licence or full rules competency. Eg: for the purposes of this advert they are not qualified train drivers.

Regarding Merseyrail, I can't see a qualified mainline driver leaving a well paid job on affordable Merseyside to work for a poorly paid TOC in one of the most expensive parts of the country to live.

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but while T&W metro drivers sign a bit of network rail infrastructure, I don't think they have a full European Train Driving licence or full rules competency. Eg: for the purposes of this advert they are not qualified train drivers.

That’s certainly my understanding, and seemed to be the conclusion when that question was discussed on here before.

whoosh

Established Member

As a stepping stone to get an eventual transfer to the Kent coast - if that's a long term aspiration to relocate to?

______

Southern drivers putting in for SWR - maybe they live closer to an SWR depot, but the lower pay put them off. Now it's climbing up, staying at Southern further away from home might not be worth the commute anymore?

Established Member
As a stepping stone to get an eventual transfer to the Kent coast - if that's a long term aspiration to relocate to?

Yep that’s a fair point. That’s pretty much the only reason I can see why someone would apply to the metro depots (other than desperation ie the sack or redundancy elsewhere).

Even then, they might be better off waiting for SE high speed to open up again for qualified drivers. SE Metro men wait many years for a coastal move, whereas HS would offer a route straight down to the coast for new starters

notadriver

Established Member
Apparently SE HS now seem to prefer getting qualifieds who don’t need to relocate too far.

Established Member
Apparently SE HS now seem to prefer getting qualifieds who don’t need to relocate too far.

Really? Surely there can’t be many qualified drivers living within 40 mins of Faversham, Ashford, Ramsgate etc. who aren’t already working for SE.

In my experience most TOCs seem happy to accept relocating qualified drivers - it’s completely different to the trainee market. After all relocating is a key (good) reason for qualified drivers to want to move TOCs in the first place.

notadriver

Established Member
Really? Surely there can’t be many qualified drivers living within 40 mins of Faversham, Ashford, Ramsgate etc. who aren’t already working for SE.

In my experience most TOCs seem happy to accept relocating qualified drivers - it’s completely different to the trainee market. After all relocating is a key (good) reason for qualified drivers to want to move TOCs in the first place.

Agreed it’s just that the ones nearer are more likely to stay. Many from further afield have gone back.
(When I say relocating not too far I mean those living in the south generally and relocating)

Established Member
Agreed it’s just that the ones nearer are more likely to stay. Many from further afield have gone back.
(When I say relocating not too far I mean those living in the south generally and relocating)

Can HS drivers who join from outside put in for a move to classic mainline depots?

JammyJames08

Can HS drivers who join from outside put in for a move to classic mainline depots?
Yes High speed drivers can apply for internal moves to any other depots within the company..After three years

not sure if anyone would go from Ashford high speed to slade green though

Last edited:

peakNed

A few blokes have left our place for TOCs in the last couple of years, but none to SE. None of them would touch SE with a barge pole, despite living in the area. Naff work and naff money.
The flow of qualified drivers has very much gone the other way, with qualifieds joining us from SE.

Applepie356

I’m guessing through the lack of trainee driver posts they are still training up trainees atm?

SlimJim1694

Was chatting to a couple of metro drivers yesterday who are both in the process of leaving.

I’m guessing through the lack of trainee driver posts they are still training up trainees atm?
There is quite a backlog of trainees to get through apparently. They are looking for more trainer assessors to cover the work! I'm sure there will be more recruitment of trainees once things pick up though. For anyone looking to get on as a trainee driver SE will always be a great option.

SlimJim1694

I think this advert for a 12-18 month fixed term contract trainer assessor tells you everything you need to know about the company.

The role is an MG1 Contract & T&C's (including private health cover) for a minimum of 12 months and maximum of 18 months (you will be provided a 3 month notice period for the contract to end)

It seems SE are looking for someone to leave a secure job with another TOC, take a pay cut from most drivers salaries, AND be out on their ear in 18 months...

Status
Not open for further replies.