• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeburysam

Hi all, does anyone know if Southeastern plan on hiring qualified drivers anytime soon?
Had some changes in my personal life and want to return home to Ramsgate as soon as possible. I appreciate these things can take time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Although I don't know , Southeastern are usually on the lookout. I would just fire in a speculative email if I were you.

Jackofspades

Drop an email to Recuitment, we’re short at the moment everywhere and I know a driver who did that from tpe and got in straight away

Shoeburysam

OK thanks guys I emailed them. They replied with some phone numbers and made a call. Explained everything and my competencies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Southeastern normally jump at the opportunity for qualifieds as it tends to be one of the TOCs that everyone ends up leaving to go elsewhere!

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Southeastern normally jump at the opportunity for qualifieds as it tends to be one of the TOCs that everyone ends up leaving to go elsewhere!
What are the reasons for this? They seem to pay pretty well. I personally know a few of their drivers who have worked for them for years.

_toommm_

Established Member
What are the reasons for this? They seem to pay pretty well. I personally know a few of their drivers who have worked for them for years.

I think it’s the very intensive work you get for the first few years i.e. DOO all stations to Orpington amongst others. Apparently they don’t pay that well according to other London TOCs either, so there’s often threads on here about them needing trainees due to high turnover.

godfreycomplex

Established Member

This thread from last year is quite illustrative

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

They don’t pay that well considering that - if you’re close to London - you have GTR, SWR, Overground and Crossrail within a commutable distance that have paid more.

Also a lot of “High Speed” work is actually all shacks, DOO.

There’s some better mainline depots like Tonbridge or Ashford, but so many internals want to go there too. As with anywhere if you’re a driver and settled you’re set until you retire essentially, but it does have more churn than your usual TOC.

BluePenguin

On Moderation

This thread from last year is quite illustrative
I had a read of that thread and do remember reading it a long time ago but had forgotten! Thanks for finding it for me.
They don’t pay that well considering that - if you’re close to London - you have GTR, SWR, Overground and Crossrail within a commutable distance that have paid more.

Also a lot of “High Speed” work is actually all shacks, DOO.

There’s some better mainline depots like Tonbridge or Ashford, but so many internals want to go there too. As with anywhere if you’re a driver and settled you’re set until you retire essentially, but it does have more churn than your usual TOC.
It’s very unfortunate. If there are so many better options, it does make me wonder how many people will apply. The drivers I know all live in the Medway area but drive to London depots. Having read this that I’m starting to wonder why though….

I am a frequent high-speed coastal passenger and fortunately do not live in North Kent so do not have to suffer the all shacks issue

Status
Not open for further replies.