• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Graffiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

goblinuser

Loads of underground units on the Watford DC lines seem to have been attacked recently after a long lull when they were left alone. Have a load of these wasters been released from the nick and gone straight back to their old habits. Very annoying to also remember that when the Olympics were on, there was no graffiti at all on London's linesides, but then went straight back to how it was once it was over .. Just shows NR could contain it, but don't show any willing to care about their property .
There was a big push to 'clean up' everything in the years leading up to the 2012 Olympics. I guess they had the cash to do it from somewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bionic

Personally I find graffiti far less offensive and intrusive than the advertising that is plastered absolutely everywhere you care to look. The only difference between the two is money. If you've got money you can pay to stick your "tag" up. If you don't have money it's a case of do it yourself. Either way, the person forced to look at it doesn't have a choice.

jon0844

Veteran Member
GN 313s are being done so it's not just third rail land (well, unless it's all happening on the NCL!). I'm told it's being done at Hertford North.

A lot of the tagging is inside and we're talking an entire section of carriage with maybe the same tag done multiple times on all labels. Looks horrid and totally unmissable.

Etching seems to be back too.

Is there some social media trend that kids are following and being encouraged? Last year we had all the kids encouraged by YouTubers to ride like idiots in the roads taking on cars, buses and lorries (sadly it seems said bikers are now encouraged to meet up and then run riot stealing mobiles in large groups).

Do some searches and you can likely find these videos that show many people are actually making a living from anti social behaviour, and kids are trying to get in on it. I bet these trains are featuring in photo galleries and videos by wannabe Banksy's.

jonty14

It is hard to find a freight wagon that doesn't have graffiti on it. I am in Switzerland at the moment and every wagon is covered.

FOH

On my usual journey into London Bridge on Southern yesterday I spotted 6 different SE trains plastered between Bermondsey and London Bridge. I don’t mean as in 2 trains with 3 units each, no 6 different trains - almost every train I saw.

driver_m

Established Member
There's some huge pieces of graffiti on the approaches into Euston around Queens Park area. The time it must have taken to actually do them makes you wonder whether the people doing it feel like they know they'll get away with it.

BestWestern

Established Member
Personally I find graffiti far less offensive and intrusive than the advertising that is plastered absolutely everywhere you care to look. The only difference between the two is money. If you've got money you can pay to stick your "tag" up. If you don't have money it's a case of do it yourself. Either way, the person forced to look at it doesn't have a choice.

I would suggest you are in a minority.

One further difference is that advertising raises much needed income for the railway, whereas brainless morons who vandalise things cost a huge amount to clean up after.

Antman

Established Member
Here's the worst I've seen in a while

Attachments

• WP_20180404_002.jpg
    WP_20180404_002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 228

ctrh136

Not sure if this is the right place, but I've noticed a large increase in graffiti on the outside of Southeastern's trains over the past few weeks across their 375/377/465 fleet; has there been a massive increase in this recently or are they just not cleaning it?
Saw a 375/8 and 465 161 with it at Victoria today.

SaveECRewards

I've noticed the same when I'm at London Bridge. I get angry when I see it but it seems to be happening more often that I'm becoming desensitised to it.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I thought that the fad of spraying the sides of trains had passed, but I too have noticed a recent revival of it, including on some brand-new SWR 707s. I agree with those above who feel that it produces a bad impression.

There are some lads who can produce quite nice images with a paint-spray: they should be encouraged by suitable means (not excluding prosecution) not to do it on trains, stations or other public utilities and also provided with some officially-sanctioned place where they may exhibit their talent without causing bother. Those who merely spray crudely-drawn initials should be punished via fines and given some useful task, such as cleaning up what they and others have done with paint-sprays.

Bromley boy

Established Member
There are some lads who can produce quite nice images with a paint-spray: they should be encouraged by suitable means (not excluding prosecution) not to do it on trains, stations or other public utilities and also provided with some officially-sanctioned place where they may exhibit their talent without causing bother.

I agree.

Quite a bit of the stuff being showcased on SE’s mobile graffiti galleries (:smile:) clearly takes a lot of talent to produce.

It’s a shame that talent isn’t being put to a more constructive use which doesn’t involve the risk of prosecution, death by electrification, etc.

HowardGWR

Established Member
It is hard to find a freight wagon that doesn't have graffiti on it. I am in Switzerland at the moment and every wagon is covered.
I wonder why HGVs aren't graffitied? They are often parked up in a remote situation. Also buses aren't graffitied? I wonder why this difference?

Mikey C

Established Member
Is there ANY security at the sidings and depots? Surely it must be cheaper to employ more security guards than have to continually clean the graffiti off?

Bromley boy

Established Member
I wonder why HGVs aren't graffitied? They are often parked up in a remote situation. Also buses aren't graffitied? I wonder why this difference?

A good question. At a pinch:

HGVs usually only park “in the wild” with someone on them (the “tramper” driver), on motorway lay bys and service stations which are pretty inaccessible;

Buses are either in service or parked up in closed bus garages which are staffed and operated 24/7 (certainly in London);

Rail depots and (especially) remote stabling points are often located in unsalubrious residential areas, unstaffed overnight and have only a fence for protection.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
I was also on an HST from Paddington yesterday which had been graffitted. Not seen that before.

FOH

Saw a London Overground 378 yesterday in service but heavily done down one carriage

Wivenswold

Established Member

This. Absolutely.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've seen many vans tagged, with pen/paint and not merely drawn in dirt. I'm sure I've seen lorry trailers done too.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I would suggest you are in a minority.

One further difference is that advertising raises much needed income for the railway, whereas brainless morons who vandalise things cost a huge amount to clean up after.

And what about people who feel intimidated by graffiti on trains, inside and out, and etching etc. The tagging being to mark territory sometimes, which might also make younger people feel more scared.

Adverts might be annoying but I can vote with my wallet so it doesn't bother me.

RichJF

By running trains with the tags on them in service, you actively encourage other taggers/wannabes into graffiti'ing rolling stock. It's a case of "I tagged a train & got away with & now everyone can see it".

There are numerous 377's running round with large marker pen graffiti on internal panels, some quite explicit that shouldn't really be allowed in public service, especially with children on board.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
By running trains with the tags on them in service, you actively encourage other taggers/wannabes into graffiti'ing rolling stock. It's a case of "I tagged a train & got away with & now everyone can see it".

There are numerous 377's running round with large marker pen graffiti on internal panels, some quite explicit that shouldn't really be allowed in public service, especially with children on board.

I haven't taken photos but there are many GN trains going around with tags inside (and the already mentioned etching that seems back in fashion) and it surely makes people feel uneasy, especially at night.

The other big problem is smoking in trains. I hear some 700s have had issues given their smoke/fire detection systems.

furnessvale

Established Member
A baseball bat from the driver round the back of the head concentrates the mind wonderfully.

talltim

Established Member
Commuting Sheffield-Chesterfield I've not seen any trains graffitied, except freight. Internally you get seom small scribbles occasionally, mainly on Northern 158s.

Status
Not open for further replies.