• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Graffiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antman

Established Member
I saw 375921 last night heavily graffitied, the problem is definitely getting worse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Somebody had graffitied on one side of a 166 carriage a couple of weeks ago (Bristol depot based Turbo) - Took me by surprise as I’ve never seen a graffitied unit in the West Country before!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Personally I could not give a shiny poop what is sprayed on the side of my train as long as it turns up and about on time!

Depending on what's on the train, a driver could refuse to run it. If control say otherwise and the driver sticks to his or her guns, it's going nowhere. So it's probably best to keep the trains graffiti free, ideally by protecting the trains when not in use.

Antman

Established Member
Depending on what's on the train, a driver could refuse to run it. If control say otherwise and the driver sticks to his or her guns, it's going nowhere. So it's probably best to keep the trains graffiti free, ideally by protecting the trains when not in use.

Graffiti looks awful but unless it's on the cab window I can't see how a driver refuse.

The best way to combat it is quick removal, if a graffiti merchant puts in a lot of time and effort only to see the train a day or two later and it's been removed they'll wonder why they bothered.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Graffiti looks awful but unless it's on the cab window I can't see how a driver refuse.

The best way to combat it is quick removal, if a graffiti merchant puts in a lot of time and effort only to see the train a day or two later and it's been removed they'll wonder why they bothered.

I've heard drivers express concern over swearing (C word) and even blasphemy.

gazr

Need to start hiring security and arming them with paint ball guns... fight fire with fire! Trespassing on railway property and criminal damage to trains laws need to get tough and examples made of.

Rail.Fan

London is going back 15-20 years lately with the increase in violent crimes and Graffiti, It's so strange as we had turned a corner from all these behaviors but now they all seem to be back in Fashion.

FOH

Travelled on 2 different 465s this evening, both had 1 coach completely plastered up to window level

Mikey C

Established Member
Why aren't depots secure? Surely it must cost a fortune to have to clean trains on a regular basis, not to mention the reduction in available stock when this is happening leading to short units.

And not wanting to be over dramatic, surely there is a security risk if it's so easy for people to get access to the trains at night.

jon0844

Veteran Member
GTR 313134 another victim. Side of one whole coach and one train end with tags and possibly some paint over the glass.

jon0844

Veteran Member
London is going back 15-20 years lately with the increase in violent crimes and Graffiti, It's so strange as we had turned a corner from all these behaviors but now they all seem to be back in Fashion.

Brexit. ;)

tsr

Established Member
And not wanting to be over dramatic, surely there is a security risk if it's so easy for people to get access to the trains at night.

An internal/external security check should typically be done during train prep anyway (or such is my experience - I don’t know if there’s a national standard anywhere which actually specifies this).

otomous

Why aren't depots secure? Surely it must cost a fortune to have to clean trains on a regular basis, not to mention the reduction in available stock when this is happening leading to short units.

They are secured, but ultimately eyes can’t be everywhere at once. The railway is a relatively open environment, not difficult for determined vandals to walk off platforms on to track or climb over fences where just a couple of units are berthed by a station or the like.

jon0844

Veteran Member
BTP is reintroducing its anti-graffiti team this month, as well as more private security firms at some hotspots.

Mikey C

Established Member
BTP is reintroducing its anti-graffiti team this month, as well as more private security firms at some hotspots.

Good. Clearly certain depots/sidings are more likely to be targeted than others

Established Member
Good. Clearly certain depots/sidings are more likely to be targeted than others
But when you make the depots and Sidings secure (like TOCs willing to pay have largely done - not Govia, clearly) the taggers just go around. Turnarounds on an ECS in a platform (at another TOCs station, so harder to get them to do something, you can probably guess the owning group), booked waits at signals on running lines, even during station stops is opportunity enough for some. You make it harder, they get cleverer.

TheSeeker

I think good graffiti is mostly done by middle class students from the local art college. The better the college, the better the graffiti. Good to see young people out in the fresh air and taking an interest in brightening up their community.

bnsf734

I saw a SWR class 458 in the platform at Reading yesterday with a large graffiti tag on the driving trailer, so its not just South Eastern.

Back from a weekend trip to Genoa in Italy the Genoa metro cars are all plastered with grafitti, as are Italian trains in general. I hope ours aren't allowed to get into such a state.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think good graffiti is mostly done by middle class students from the local art college. The better the college, the better the graffiti. Good to see young people out in the fresh air and taking an interest in brightening up their community.

Most likely in designated areas (which I believe should be expanded and encouraged). I think in Brighton, like places like Shoreditch, it fits the feel of the area to have a certain type of 'Banksy'-esque art.

Even Welwyn Garden City just got two bits of art that I am sure was 'ordered' by the landowner to get some publicity for a major new housing development.

But covering trains with giant tags, however colourful, often with offensive phrases is a world apart. And ordinary tags with a marker pen or etched are even further away again.

Mikey C

Established Member
It seems to be a fashion that has sadly returned, I notice squiggles on a bus shelter in Hampstead yesterday and can't remember seeing graffiti there for years

TheSeeker

But covering trains with giant tags, however colourful, often with offensive phrases is a world apart. And ordinary tags with a marker pen or etched are even further away again.

Fully agree. I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I was also going to use Brighton as an example.

The origin of modern tagging is very interesting. I guess it's been around since prehistoric times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAKI_183

Goldfish62

Established Member
It seems to be a fashion that has sadly returned, I notice squiggles on a bus shelter in Hampstead yesterday and can't remember seeing graffiti there for years
I agree. Someone remarked to me recently that graffiti tends to surge when a society is in decline. I think they're right. Remember the graffiti on LU in the 1980s?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Fully agree. I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I was also going to use Brighton as an example.

The origin of modern tagging is very interesting. I guess it's been around since prehistoric times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAKI_183
A slightly Brexity friend of mine told me how he was appalled at the amount of graffiti in Italy when he visited recently. I told him about the Roman graffiti I saw at Pompeii. Then showed him a photo of a SE train..

Status
Not open for further replies.