• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Highspeed upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashworth

Established Member
I already have an Off Peak Return from Lomdon to Folkestone which is not valid on high speed services and the price was £34.90. If I wanted to upgrade for use on the Highspeed route from St Pancras for the outward journey only how much would the excess fare be? I don't want to do the return journey by the highspeed route as I want to stop off in South London on my return journey and it will be more convenient to come back to Charing Cross.

I don't normally buy walk on fares in advance but purchased them at the same time as I got my Advance Tickets from Nottingham to London for the other half of my journey where I wanted to travel 1st Class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If I read it correctly it is £5.60 upgrade return. A single upgrade is £5.80 so you may as well get a return.

It would be cheaper to get a change of route excess for one direction only but I suspect you will need to get it away from the South East, as otherwise staff would likely want to charge the upgrade.

talldave

Established Member
This is one of those weird examples where the slow-speed ticket plus HS upgrade is cheaper than the HS ticket!

ashworth

Established Member
If I read it correctly it is £5.60 upgrade return. A single upgrade is £5.80 so you may as well get a return.

It would be cheaper to get a change of route excess for one direction only but I suspect you will need to get it away from the South East, as otherwise staff would likely want to charge the upgrade.

Thanks for that. I will ask the conductor on the EMT train down to London from Nottingham if they can do it if I don't get time to visit the booking office in Nottingham. It will actually not work out very much more than the tube would have cost to get to Charing Cross.

A1

Thanks for that. I will ask the conductor on the EMT train down to London from Nottingham if they can do it if I don't get time to visit the booking office in Nottingham. It will actually not work out very much more than the tube would have cost to get to Charing Cross.

If all else fails the upgrades are available as stand alone tickets from the South Eastern branded TVMs at St. P.

Cletus

Established Member
It's worth remembering that tickets to Dover and the other stations affected by the track closure can use non-high speed tickets on the high speed line in and out of St Pancras.
So I would say tickets can be bought to from Dover Priory and then break your journey at Folkestone?

Status
Not open for further replies.