• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern livery query

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
Has anyone ever seen both sides of a 465? Do some have all yellow doors and some have all blue doors, or do all have blue on one side and yellow on the other?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Ta. Is there any reason for this? Is one a new livery and the other gradually being phased out? Do you ever get a situation where a door gets damaged and has to be replaced by one of the wrong colour?

Ta. Is there any reason for this? Is one a new livery and the other gradually being phased out? Do you ever get a situation where a door gets damaged and has to be replaced by one of the wrong colour?

The yellow door livery is the old Southeastern one from when they took over from South Eastern in 2006.

The purple door livery is the new livery for the Networkers and a handful of Electrostars.

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm not sure about this 'purple' business. Mauve is more like it.

Schnellzug

Established Member
The thing I find untidy is how the fairings over the underframe equipment are often either missing completely, or there are bits missing. It does look untidy.

ert47

The thing I find untidy is how the fairings over the underframe equipment are often either missing completely, or there are bits missing. It does look untidy.

I dunno where I read it, but some of them are missing apparently because of overheating - its usually on the DMSO/DMCO

Are any of the 375s in the new complete livery or are they still half done?

ert47

Just had a thought, the 465 units with missing underframe covers, are they the units that have recently had the Hitachi parts added?

Can't remember if a /8 or /9 have been reliveried yet.

ah, I think I might have seen 375308, but on the doors some of the lilac had peeled off showing a plum-like colour :s

4SRKT

Established Member
Talking of 375s, I'm a northerner whose trips to Southeastern territory rarely take him beyond London and the Dartford lines, so all I ever travel on is 465s/466s, 376s and 395s. Last night I stayed in a hotel in Rainham and got the elusive west curve at Sittingbourne (:)), so was able to do a bit of 375 watching. I saw a 3-car set at Sittingbourne. Are there 3-car 375s, or was this just a case of the fourth coach being damaged and temporarily removed?

Just had a thought, the 465 units with missing underframe covers, are they the units that have recently had the Hitachi parts added?

ah, I think I might have seen 375308, but on the doors some of the lilac had peeled off showing a plum-like colour :s

Yeah, they've been known to overheat slightly, hence the lack of covers to aid ventilation.

And 308 was ok last time I saw it ...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Talking of 375s, I'm a northerner whose trips to Southeastern territory rarely take him beyond London and the Dartford lines, so all I ever travel on is 465s/466s, 376s and 395s. Last night I stayed in a hotel in Rainham and got the elusive west curve at Sittingbourne (:)), so was able to do a bit of 375 watching. I saw a 3-car set at Sittingbourne. Are there 3-car 375s, or was this just a case of the fourth coach being damaged and temporarily removed?

What time did you get the Western Junction in?

There are 2 moves a day that use that.

2U91 0500 Gillingham - Sheerness
2U92 2132 Sheerness - Gillingham

And 375/3 are 3 car Electrostars. Was it on its own?

4SRKT

Established Member
I did the evening move at Sittingbourne. I had a work related meeting in Strood this morning so stayed at the Premier Inn at Rainham to facilitate getting the curve. What a palaver!

The 3-car set was attached to a 4-car one on a Victoria > Ramsgate/Dover working. The 3-piece would have formed the Dover portion from Faversham.

I did the evening move at Sittingbourne. I had a work related meeting in Strood this morning so stayed at the Premier Inn at Rainham to facilitate getting the curve. What a palaver!

The 3-car set was attached to a 4-car one on a Victoria > Ramsgate/Dover working. The 3-piece would have formed the Dover portion from Faversham.

2U92 calls at Queenborough, Swale, Kemsley, Newington, Rainham and Gillingham. It bypasses Sittingbourne as it goes via the Western Junction (goes off to the the right onto the Up Main of the Chatham Main Line) rather than the usual Eastern Junction (off to the left onto the Down Main).

And it was probably meant to be a 8 car train but had a 4+3 due to stock issues.

4SRKT

Established Member
2U92 calls at Queenborough, Swale, Kemsley, Newington, Rainham and Gillingham. It bypasses Sittingbourne as it goes via the Western Junction (goes off to the the right onto the Up Main of the Chatham Main Line) rather than the usual Eastern Junction (off to the left onto the Down Main).

I know; I was on it from Queenborough to Rainham ;)

And it was probably meant to be a 8 car train but had a 4+3 due to stock issues.

What do the 3-car sets normally work? How many of them are there?

I know; I was on it from Queenborough to Rainham ;)

What do the 3-car sets normally work? How many of them are there?

Why not Sheerness? :P

And there are 10 375/3s. There were 30 built but 20 went to Southern to be reclassified as 377/3 (as well as having Tightlock couplers replacing the Dellner). They are used to make up 10 car 375s as well as use on the Medway Valley Line (and rarely on the Sheerness Line)

From May TT change the 375/3s will be solely used as the main Medway Valley Line traction, freeing up some Networkers (mainly 466s) to strengthen London trains most likely.

4SRKT

Established Member
Why not Sheerness? :P

And there are 10 375/3s. There were 30 built but 20 went to Southern to be reclassified as 377/3 (as well as having Tightlock couplers replacing the Dellner). They are used to make up 10 car 375s as well as use on the Medway Valley Line (and rarely on the Sheerness Line)

From May TT change the 375/3s will be solely used as the main Medway Valley Line traction, freeing up some Networkers (mainly 466s) to strengthen London trains most likely.

I've been to Sheerness before, and the retunr fare was £1.10 less to Queenborough. Plus it was shack scratch for me.

Where do Southern use their 3-car Electrostars then?

Hydro

Established Member
And there are 10 375/3s. There were 30 built but 20 went to Southern to be reclassified as 377/3 (as well as having Tightlock couplers replacing the Dellner).

Surely the other way around? 375's were originally built with Tightlocks, 377's had Dellner from new. 375's subsequently lost their Tightlocks in favour of Dellners once the last of the Mk.1 EMU's went.

A 3-car 375 makes up the via Dover Priory portion of the Ramsgate splitters on occasion I'm sure. Certainly used 3 car units quite often travelling down to Deal.

Surely the other way around? 375's were originally built with Tightlocks, 377's had Dellner from new. 375's subsequently lost their Tightlocks in favour of Dellners once the last of the Mk.1 EMU's went.

A 3-car 375 makes up the via Dover Priory portion of the Ramsgate splitters on occasion I'm sure. Certainly used 3 car units quite often travelling down to Deal.

Let's pretend that I didn't take my information from that well known online encyclopaedia ...

But the 375/3, /6 and /7 did have Tightlock as built, but had them replaced with Dellner as the /8 and /9 came with them from new.

(Ta this informative article)

MCR247

Established Member
I've been to Sheerness before, and the retunr fare was £1.10 less to Queenborough. Plus it was shack scratch for me.

Where do Southern use their 3-car Electrostars then?

More recently London metro services I think? And they used to run 4x377/3 on Brighton express runs at weekends i believe

Skimble19

Established Member
The yellow door livery is the old Southeastern one from when they took over from South Eastern in 2006.

The purple door livery is the new livery for the Networkers and a handful of Electrostars.
Of course, that yellow livery wasn't just Southeastern and South Easterns, it was actually Connex's to start with! As for the purple door livery, is that the one with the dark blue underframes or the white underframes? :lol:

Of course, that yellow livery wasn't just Southeastern and South Easterns, it was actually Connex's to start with! As for the purple door livery, is that the one with the dark blue underframes or the white underframes? :lol:

Well, yeah, but it is referred to as the South Eastern livery (or the Wasp livery)

And there are about 6 different variations going around, but the full livery is dark blue band and undercarriage as well as the purple doors.

Wonder if the 375s will ever feature dark blue undercarriages at any point. The 465s and 466s had them added on after the "main" relivery and they look much smarter for it.

The refurbed 375s look a little unfinished to me. But then with SE one never knows what variation of a livery might appear next!

Jedipickles

All 375's have their interiors refreshed (new seat covers + more CCTV camera's) i believe now.

I would quite like to see a 375 in the dark blue high speed livery, might they'll most like go the same white and blue-ish doors like the 465/466's.

I dont know about the 376's as that's Metro and im stuck in the Dover & East Kent region :(

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The three car 375 units were initially intended to form peak-hour 11-car formations on the Hastings line because Tunbridge Wells can't take 12 cars.

As for Southern's 377/3's, I seem to recall getting some of them on Coastway services when I bashed the South Coast last summer.

ert47

All 375's have their interiors refreshed (new seat covers + more CCTV camera's) i believe now.

I would quite like to see a 375 in the dark blue high speed livery, might they'll most like go the same white and blue-ish doors like the 465/466's.

I dont know about the 376's as that's Metro and im stuck in the Dover & East Kent region :(

And yet the majority of 375s still have that musty smell

376s are still in their original state internally and externally.

bigyinn

From memory the 377/3s with Southern were originally 375/3s which were then renumbered when the couplers were changed.
They appear in Portsmouth pretty much all the time and work the services to Brighton IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.