• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern OBM Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamSE

Hi All,

I have been offered a job with Southeastern as an OBM, subject to passing the medical and drugs/alcohol screening (which is next week, eeeekkkk!)

Drugs/alcohol are not an issue, never done drugs and not a big drinker, but the medical is worrying me. I'm a big guy, BMI is around 35, but I have never had any medical problems. I am currently a retail manager on shift work, and spend 9 hours a day/40 hours plus a week on my feet, lifting and lugging stock/cages of stock, up and down stairs, standing behind the till, moving around working stock etc, and I have never had a day off sick, nor have I ever had any issues completing what is a physically demanding job and constantly all go. I have no restriction in movement and no medical issues either, but I'm worried my stats will exclude me.

Can anyone offer any advice or insight in to the medical and how they decide?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin93

Hi All,

I have been offered a job with Southeastern as an OBM, subject to passing the medical and drugs/alcohol screening (which is next week, eeeekkkk!)

Drugs/alcohol are not an issue, never done drugs and not a big drinker, but the medical is worrying me. I'm a big guy, BMI is around 35, but I have never had any medical problems. I am currently a retail manager on shift work, and spend 9 hours a day/40 hours plus a week on my feet, lifting and lugging stock/cages of stock, up and down stairs, standing behind the till, moving around working stock etc, and I have never had a day off sick, nor have I ever had any issues completing what is a physically demanding job and constantly all go. I have no restriction in movement and no medical issues either, but I'm worried my stats will exclude me.

Thanks!
Most Medicals are an eyesight test and a colour blind test some do a hearing test. Then they check your blood pressure and sometimes get you to turn your head left right etc. Aswell as arms and legs check your height weight then a urine and alcohol test. Nothing to really worry about congratulations btw.

Jimmy Jams!

Firstly congratulations on your job offer subject to passing your medical, you’ve come a long way to get to position your in now. I had my medical 2 weeks ago with Southeastern and passed. I don’t think you have to much to worry about your BMI mate as Martin93 stated above, these are all the test they carry out also ecg and drugs + alcohol screening. I wouldn’t worry to much about it mate. You will be fine, Pm me if you need anymore advice. I was in the same worrying position as you before I had my medical so I know what your going through but you have no need to worry about.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi All,

Thanks!
I’m not sure what OBM stands for (On Board Manager?), but if it’s safety critical, they will likely check all the items you mentioned, plus have a consultation with a quack about general health. You’ll be fine with a BMI of 35 im pretty sure. They want to make sure you’re fit and healthy, which you seem to be. My BMI was 33 ish when I had my medical with GWR (different TOC I know, but they’re all pretty similar) for trainee driver and they were okay with it. The Doc said he wanted me to lose half a stone and he’d see me in 3-months (3 months would have seen me at the start of training so I knew he’d probably not actually get me back in) but still passed me as fit for the role (I lost a stone in the end in about 3-weeks....never knew it would be that easy or I would have done it sooner lol).

They do often have a limits these days for BMI, but there are loads of new staff with obviously high BMIs anyway, so as ling as you’re healthy I’m sure you’ll be fine. BMI isn’t a great measure of ones health anyway, as muscle weighs more than fat. Mine was fat I must add.

ChrisRS

Hi All,

Thanks!

As long as your blood pressure is within the limits, then I wouldn't stress about it too much.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’m not sure what OBM stands for (On Board Manager?), but if it’s safety critical, ...
Yes; Southeastern have On Board Managers on their High Speed Services.

These services are driver only operated so normally an OBMs job is to:
As an On Board Manager, working on our high speed services, you meet and greet passengers, offer information and advice on their destination or onward journey, and make sure that your train is always presentable. With your positive approach and a willingness to help, you ensure passengers have an experience they can take with them long after they leave the train.
ie. similar to an On Board Supervisor (OBS) on GTR, however a key difference is that they are required to be present to assist in the event of an evacuation of the train, therefore I believe they would be classed as 'safety critical'.

Stigy

Established Member
Yes; Southeastern have On Board Managers on their High Speed Services.

These services are driver only operated so normally an OBMs job is to:

ie. similar to an On Board Supervisor (OBS) on GTR, however a key difference is that they are required to be present to assist in the event of an evacuation of the train, therefore I believe they would be classed as 'safety critical'.
Thanks for the insight.

Stigy

Established Member
Firstly congratulations on your job offer subject to passing your medical, you’ve come a long way to get to position your in now. I had my medical 2 weeks ago with Southeastern and passed. I don’t think you have to much to worry about your BMI mate as Martin93 stated above, these are all the test they carry out also ecg and drugs + alcohol screening. I wouldn’t worry to much about it mate. You will be fine, Pm me if you need anymore advice. I was in the same worrying position as you before I had my medical so I know what your going through but you have no need to worry about.
I don’t believe ECGs are carried out unless it’s for a driver medical. Even for other safety critical roles it tends to be; Eyesight (including colour vision), hearing, drug & alcohol and a general check over (including Blood Pressure).

SamSE

Thank very much for your input guys, feel a lot more reassured now. I guess the only unknown is blood pressure, but I'm hoping as I have have never had any medical problems or incidents or medication etc, and given the current physical job I'm in, I'm keeping everything crossed it can't be too bad!! Once again, thanks for the insight, and info into what will actually happen at the medical too, knowing what to expect makes it seem a little less daunting.

bumblebee123

Thank very much for your input guys, feel a lot more reassured now. I guess the only unknown is blood pressure, but I'm hoping as I have have never had any medical problems or incidents or medication etc, and given the current physical job I'm in, I'm keeping everything crossed it can't be too bad!! Once again, thanks for the insight, and info into what will actually happen at the medical too, knowing what to expect makes it seem a little less daunting.

Hey how did the medical go?
I'm currently on the OBM talent pool for faversham. Hoping I haven't got too long to wait!

SamSE

Hey how did the medical go?
I'm currently on the OBM talent pool for faversham. Hoping I haven't got too long to wait!

Hey- sorry only just seen your question.

The medical went fine- it was exactly as other people on here had indicated, no surprises, and although it was very thorough, the medical company were great. A lot has happened since then, and I have now progressed through training, signed as competent, and out solo- and I am a Faversham based OBM too, so perhaps our paths will cross once day.

bumblebee123

Hey- sorry only just seen your question.

The medical went fine- it was exactly as other people on here had indicated, no surprises, and although it was very thorough, the medical company were great. A lot has happened since then, and I have now progressed through training, signed as competent, and out solo- and I am a Faversham based OBM too, so perhaps our paths will cross once day.

Hey! Long shot but still waiting to be called up for the OBM role in faversham! I am getting emails weekly to say that my application is still on hold. Do you have any idea if training has resumed or if their are vacancies for OBM's at the moment? Thank you, hope you are keeping well with everything going on!

BloominMan

Hey! Long shot but still waiting to be called up for the OBM role in faversham! I am getting emails weekly to say that my application is still on hold. Do you have any idea if training has resumed or if their are vacancies for OBM's at the moment? Thank you, hope you are keeping well with everything going on!

Even though I have nothing to do with it, I actually appreciate companies even considering sending weekly updates out, it must be comforting for the potential employee!

PaulJ

Hi all! I have a medical next Tuesday for the SE Trainee Conductor pool. Does anyone have insight (no pun intended) into eyesight requirements? I presently wear varifocals, but only out of preference as my present occupation involves a lot of VDU work. Will this be problematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.