• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern recruiting trainee drivers again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

All metro depots. On the website now. Will be gone by Monday morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Victoria for me as it's less than 40 mins on public transport. Can get to Orpington in 40 but it's tight

SA91

Victoria depot might involve a long wait. I applied in June 2018. Emailed recruitment last week for an update who stated it could be a considerable wait for my DMI as they don't have any vacancies at the moment. But hopefully this vacancy means otherwise!

Juliet Barvo

39 mins by public transport, plus a 10-minute walk to Victoria South Eastern DepotDepot.... hmmm.... no point applying?

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria depot might involve a long wait. I applied in June 2018. Emailed recruitment last week for an update who stated it could be a considerable wait for my DMI as they don't have any vacancies at the moment. But hopefully this vacancy means otherwise!

Well I'm hoping they're not going to waste people's time by advertising for jobs that don't exit

Railfan132

I've put mine in, Grove Park/Orpington or Slade green is closest to me by road. Victoria is 45 mins on tube so I don't know whether they would consider that. Passed Group Bourden and TRP 1 previously for shunter's role. Lets hope good on this one!

bionic

Do they accept national standard or is it enhanced for the group bourdon?

The amount of drivers SE metro depots get through I'd wager they don't do the enhanced. Some of the depots should have a revolving door! It's intensive work and pay and conditions are better at a lot of other TOCs. Many metro drivers put in to move to the coastal depots for better work and cheaper housing.

ComUtoR

Established Member

https://www.southeasternrailwaycare...941466A616E6A677A56724A34464F68437A4437397668

Trainee Train Driver - Future Opportunities

Job Title Trainee Train Driver - Future Opportunities
Salary £23,329 rising to £52,944 plus free rail travel
Based at Orpington/Slade Green/Dartford/Grove Park/Victoria
Grade Driver
Allowances £1,938 rising to £2,008
Shifts Varied
Hours of work 35
Job Expiry Date 14 Nov 2018

Its for 'future' opportunities.

To me this sounds like another talent pool. Was the previous pool cleared out or do people still have applications pending with Southeastern ?

https://www.southeasternrailwaycare...941466A616E6A677A56724A34464F68437A4437397668

To me this sounds like another talent pool. Was the previous pool cleared out or do people still have applications pending with Southeastern ?

Ah I just went through the 'current vacancies' tab but it seems you are right in that it looks like a talent pool. I think there are people still waiting to hear from the last recruitment drive they had

Edit. Just looked at the FAQ about 'future opportunities' and indeed it does say it's for a talent pool

Last edited:

bionic

The thing is, if you want the job you've just got to jump through the hoops. All the TOCs know this so they think nothing of keeping people waiting indefinitely. Best thing to do is put in for as many trainee jobs as you can, get your key, serve your time, keep your nose clean and then try to get a move to where you want to be as a qualified driver.

Southeastern will leave people hanging on forever for trainee jobs but they'd bite any qualified driver's hand off if they wanted to go to one of their metro depots, because they know the work is some of the most intensive anywhere on the railway, incidents are commonplace, and it's hard to get qualified drivers who want to do it when there are many other options.

Driver2B

No, they've still got my previous application in progress and confirmed just a few weeks ago that it's still in progress. They did say that they don't have as many vacancies as they previously expected and I shouldn't expect to hear from them for the remainder of this year.

I don't know but I had been wondering if it was because they didn't want to spend money on training too many new drivers if they were potentially going to lose the franchise, and of course, it's now going to be announce approx six months later than previously expected.

Teddyward

I had about 6 months between applying and being called for interview. I was actually asked if I was still interested in the job. That was for dartford. Well actually I guess it was more like 8 months as I applied for grove park before that and I was contacted 2 months later and advised I was put in a holding pool for dartford.

tempuser

Does anyone know what this means for people waiting for an assessment date having applied in July? Is it worth applying again?

Driver2B

Does anyone know what this means for people waiting for an assessment date having applied in July? Is it worth applying again?

I don't know, but interested in what other people thought.

I applied in April and was told that I would be invited to assessments. Since then, I have taken and passed assessments with another TOC, and notified Southeastern. They also told me that they have fewer vacancies than they expected, but I'm still on their lists.

I was thinking last night if I should apply again, but decided not as I currently have an application in progress. However, I thought I might just shoot them another "remember me" e-mail.

What do other people here think?

GMT

I applied but I wouldn't hold my breath. Once I applied for Faversham and another time for Orpington, 20 minutes from the depot was the time required for Faversham. They are very demanding in that sense. Fair enough, their drivers must be always very rested, which is good for safety. However, in June 2015 I applied for a Shunter Driver position at Gillingham depot, future opportunities, I was successful and now they keep sending me emails saying that once vacencies are available they will get in touch with me, which I appreciate. But Gills depot is 15 minutes walk from my house, so that may have been the main reason that they chose me; not the only one, of course, as I must have jotted down something good in the application, and I'm obviously proud of that. I don't think though that successful applicants for this advert will stay in the pool for as long as I've been in mine, which is over three years now.

GMT

I don't know, but interested in what other people thought.

What do other people here think?

If I was you, I would contact their HR by phone to have some clarifications. But I do think you shouldn't have to re-apply.

Driver2B

If I was you, I would contact their HR by phone to have some clarifications. But I do think you shouldn't have to re-apply.

Thanks for that! I'll speak to them on Monday or Tuesday.
I agree that I shouldn't have to reapply!

Thanks again!

Driver2B

I applied but I wouldn't hold my breath. Once I applied for Faversham and another time for Orpington, 20 minutes from the depot was the time required for Faversham. They are very demanding in that sense. Fair enough, their drivers must be always very rested, which is good for safety. However, in June 2015 I applied for a Shunter Driver position at Gillingham depot, future opportunities, I was successful and now they keep sending me emails saying that once vacencies are available they will get in touch with me, which I appreciate. But Gills depot is 15 minutes walk from my house, so that may have been the main reason that they chose me; not the only one, of course, as I must have jotted down something good in the application, and I'm obviously proud of that. I don't think though that successful applicants for this advert will stay in the pool for as long as I've been in mine, which is over three years now.

I'm hoping that distance isn't going to be too big a problem for me - my kitchen and bathroom are no further than three metres from their boundary fence! Although, granted, the front entrance of the depot is a little further away than that!

bionic

The whole travelling time thing is a joke. Once you've got the job you can move wherever you like. Some existing drivers at these depots commute way beyond the limits of what the firm specify for new recruits.

Saffa

Email received this morning stating that I'm through screening, so they are looking at the applications already despite the advert still showing as open

tempuser

Hi Saffa -- what does the email say please? Does it say that you will be invited to an assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.