• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern recruiting trainee drivers again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It says 'In Process'. The automatic email that comes back says they'll be in touch if you are successful?

Yes that's the email I had too. They've obviously fixed the issue where it turned the status to 'Unsuccessful' when you submitted it.

Azzypaul

Thanks mate . Just need to contact them as past the screening process in 2018 . Now on the new portal says unsuccessful

Thanks mate . Just need to contact them as past the screening process in 2018 . Now on the new portal says unsuccessful

Yes I would definitely do that. They came back to me very quickly to say that there was problem with the portal and they corrected my status

DA1

Just to check did everyone fill in their details again and “basically” re apply?

Azzypaul

Just got email saying

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that you application is on our system.

We are working on moving applications to the correct status.

We will be in touch when we are in a position to progress your application.
Kind Regards

SlimJim1694

Good luck to everyone applying to Southeastern. If you get the job, take my advice and keep your nose clean (not easy), and get out as soon as you can. I've worked for them for years and am trapped by my safety record, otherwise I'd be out the door with all the others. If you think it's hard getting a drivers job I can promise you it's even harder keeping your nose clean. I was on a rules course with 8 people and within a year every single one of us had an incident. 100% record of screw ups. Theres probably less than 5 people at my depot with clean records. Pretty much everybody with decent records leaves. Word to the wise... listen to what they tell you about non-technical skills, refresh your rules and routes and do everything you can to stop having an incident. The freight is about the only place an SE driver can go with incidents, they will take anybody, but I'm not that desperate yet. Dont let me put you off though, it's a good job but very very easy to balls up.

Good luck to everyone applying to Southeastern. If you get the job, take my advice and keep your nose clean (not easy), and get out as soon as you can. I've worked for them for years and am trapped by my safety record, otherwise I'd be out the door with all the others. If you think it's hard getting a drivers job I can promise you it's even harder keeping your nose clean. I was on a rules course with 8 people and within a year every single one of us had an incident. 100% record of screw ups. Theres probably less than 5 people at my depot with clean records. Pretty much everybody with decent records leaves. Word to the wise... listen to what they tell you about non-technical skills, refresh your rules and routes and do everything you can to stop having an incident. The freight is about the only place an SE driver can go with incidents, they will take anybody, but I'm not that desperate yet. Dont let me put you off though, it's a good job but very very easy to balls up.

Is there any reason why so many drivers don't have clean records? Is it the nature of the routes the Southeastern have?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Is there any reason why so many drivers don't have clean records? Is it the nature of the routes the Southeastern have?

The job is a lot harder than people think. Metro TOCs (not just Southeastern) tend to suffer more because they encounter more issues. Multiple train lengths, Both side door releases on a regular basis, stopping at more reds, multiple routes in quick succession, multiple changes in linespeed in a short space, bored due to repetition, intense diagrams, various fatigue issues, multi traction. Add to that the normal issues with shift work and other aspects of train driving.

Even on a national level. You are at your highest risk of an incident in your first year. Not forgetting that there is a rather draconian approach to safety. 'Incident' is a bit of a swear word but it has a very wide net to cast. Pretty much everything is considered an 'incident' and will go on your permanent record. The railway is very unforgiving.

Imagine doing a job where you cannot make a mistake. There is no tippex, no delete button, you cannot reprint a page because you missed a paragraph or spelt something wrong, you can't take the next roundabout, and if your only a minute late you still may need to fill out reports.

SlimJim1694

Metro is 100-120 stops a day so that's up to 500 opportunities every working week to put up a wrong side release, stop short (you will work a number of different formations of 2,4,5,6,8,10 or 12 coaches in any given shift) or start up against a red or power up on a single yellow. Most of the safety stuff people have is to do with doors and TPWS. Its probably some of the most intensive train driving work in the country and with that comes the scope to balls up more. The managers won't help you, most of them are failed drivers throwing their weight around. They like to put stuff on drivers records to prevent them leaving.

The job is a lot harder than people think. Metro TOCs (not just Southeastern) tend to suffer more because they encounter more issues. Multiple train lengths, Both side door releases on a regular basis, stopping at more reds, multiple routes in quick succession, multiple changes in linespeed in a short space, bored due to repetition, intense diagrams, various fatigue issues, multi traction. Add to that the normal issues with shift work and other aspects of train driving.

Even on a national level. You are at your highest risk of an incident in your first year. Not forgetting that there is a rather draconian approach to safety. 'Incident' is a bit of a swear word but it has a very wide net to cast. Pretty much everything is considered an 'incident' and will go on your permanent record. The railway is very unforgiving.

Imagine doing a job where you cannot make a mistake. There is no tippex, no delete button, you cannot reprint a page because you missed a paragraph or spelt something wrong, you can't take the next roundabout, and if your only a minute late you still may need to fill out reports.

I'm sure the perception of the job in the wider public (and even on this forum) is probably that it's a bit of a doddle but clearly that isn't the case. I was aware that metro work was generally considered more demanding - if thats the right word, but other than the shear number of stops they tend to have, I hadn't thought about train lengths, doors and so on. I can see why it might not be as popular as other routes!

Applepie356

Hi guys. I’ve applied for “Train movements Apprentice” with Southeastern. It’s basically the apprenticeship variation of train shunter I’m guessing. Do you have to take the same psychometric tests as trainee train drivers?

Also is there opportunity to progress to train driver?

JammyJames08

Hi guys. I’ve applied for “Train movements Apprentice” with Southeastern. It’s basically the apprenticeship variation of train shunter I’m guessing. Do you have to take the same psychometric tests as trainee train drivers?

Also is there opportunity to progress to train driver?

Yes & Yes, a few shunter drivers at Grove Park in the past have got jobs at metro depots, one has gone onto high speed since then.

Has anyone here got anything concrete for Slade Green or Dartford? The latest doing the rounds is that both are being slightly reduced in numbers to reallocate work to London Victoria.

387star

On Moderation
When you're at a station between signals and the last signal was a single yellow the red may not be in view. Having to check you've stopped in the right place open doors right side and then remember to set the driver reminder appliance is quite draining when tired or there could have been a temporary speed reduction warning before the station where the speed is reduced beyond the station and you don't register the reminder board pulling out

A bit like roads a lot of speeds are silly and if you get up.to.them on short stretches you will trip the grids. So the signage doesn't always help you if you're not aware of your surroundings. A green doesn't mean whack it open.if there's a speed reduction ahead or a problem the signaller needs you to investigate or a station you're stopping at etc etc

Applepie356

Anyone applied for the Trainee Train movements Apprentice that ended on the 20/01/20? Have you heard back from them yet?

SRH

Agree with a lot of whats been said here but not all....

Unfortunately the nature of the training these days does make it more difficult for so called "newbies" to keep clean.

More much condensed and rushed. Also because there are less 'railway people' in managerial positions and more people off the streets making recruitment decisions. Your getting a much broader type of person doing the job. Some are fantastic and up to it, some unfortunately are not.

What i will say is the notion that you cannot get another job with incidents on your record is total nonsense! and i am speaking from experience.

Take your time, learn from any errors you make, put things in place to stop them happening again and you will all be superb drivers..

PS all London metro work is extremely intense! it will only get worse too

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Agree with a lot of whats been said here but not all....

Unfortunately the nature of the training these days does make it more difficult for so called "newbies" to keep clean.

More much condensed and rushed. Also because there are less 'railway people' in managerial positions and more people off the streets making recruitment decisions. Your getting a much broader type of person doing the job. Some are fantastic and up to it, some unfortunately are not.

What i will say is the notion that you cannot get another job with incidents on your record is total nonsense! and i am speaking from experience.

Take your time, learn from any errors you make, put things in place to stop them happening again and you will all be superb drivers..

PS all London metro work is extremely intense! it will only get worse too

Managerial and recruitment decisions are two different areas; at the early stage it will be HR, before the final decision by hiring DMs who will all have experience. Also explain the work "getting worse"?

SRH

Once again, speaking from experience, not all DM's are experienced. This is nonsense too.

"Worse" was the incorrect word for me to use. But more congested, diagrams are more and more packed. The money rises, people want you to work for your buck. The metro diagrams are tough! its the way it is..

Kwikz

Finally heard back for an assessment invite. Called them up as I've passed an assessment already. Now have scheduled a VSE and MMI for me. Anyone else heard back?

Status
Not open for further replies.