• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern - Replacement Bus Service stopping arrangement

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakey1152

Thought I would mention this.

Next weekend (22nd/23rd August) Southeastern are doing some engineering works on the Greenwich line so there are no trains between Dartford and Plumstead.

Usually the replacement buses serve Slade Green station by using a couple of bus stops on the London bound side in Howbury Lane/Whitehall Lane in Slade Green however as there is bridge works going on until early September buses are unable to use this road.
I sent a tweet to Southeastern asking them where the replacement buses will stop in this instance - initially being told they would still serve the same stops as usual - so I pointed out that this wouldn't be possible because of the bridge works.

I honestly believed that they would use Bus Stop A - Which is on the Dartford bound side and directly outside the station but I was amazed by the response....

The replacement buses are going to stop I'd say about 7 minutes walk away from the station and across a dual carriageway in Thames Road!

I can understand that buses from Dartford towards Plumstead would have to take a bit of a detour to get to stop A but it wouldn't be too difficult for buses travelling towards Dartford to stop at the station.

I personally don't think the new stopping points are particularly suitable and have sent another tweet asking Southeastern why they couldn't choose a more suitable location for the replacement buses.

I am starting to think its a cost cutting exercise as when they did engineering works on the Sidcup line they had a shuttle bus between Albany Park and Sidcup and last time they did works this shuttle didn't run. They had the normal bus stop on a random road quite a distance from Albany Park.

Even a shuttle bus between Slade Green and Erith would be good - or even the ability to use local buses between the two stations using a train ticket would be good - not what they've come up with instead!

Blakey

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I know the area quite well and it is going to be a problem for them. Even in the 'easy' direction the diversion is going to add quite a distance and they may not be able to use those stops given that TfL terminate their own buses there. It already looks like they hadn't checked the local roads situation before drawing up the timetable, so it's possible that the extra time involved would endanger connections at each end of the bus section.

It's not at all ideal, but there may not be much they can do for next weekend.

blakey1152

I guess complaining to Southeastern about these stopping arrangements does work!
They have listened and now the replacement buses are stopping at Stop A outside of Slade Green station.

The engineering works section has now got this added :-
IMPORTANT: Due to road works in the Slade Green area on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 August, buses will be unable to call at the usual rail replacement bus stops on Whitehall Lane for Slade Green station.
Instead, replacement buses this weekend, in both directions, will call at 'Stop A' outside the main entrance of Slade Green station on Forest Road, The nature of the diversion, may unfortunately, cause some buses to run later than booked.

Well done Southeastern - credit where its due for listening to your customers :)

Blakey

Status
Not open for further replies.