• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern staff Travel pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacuumfriends

Hi ladies and gents, had the fantastic news that all going well with my medical I will be starting on a trainee driver course in May. :D

My question is, I'm quite eager to do some travelling on the network (route learning etc) because I have three months before I start the course and want to learn as much as I can really. I travel on the network for leisure at the moment, but I'd like to travel around a bit and see what's what.

What is the process to get my staff travel pass (yes I know I'm not employed yet), ie how long after joining before I can apply for it, and what is the process?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leaffall

You'll get a temporary pass on the first day, possibly even before as they may well send a temp pass out with the induction details. You'll get the real thing after a couple of weeks once the forms have been filled in.
In the meantime don't worry too much, you've got the position (subject to medical) and there will be plenty of time for route learning on your training course.

Good luck for the medical :)

Vacuumfriends

Thank you leaffall for that info. Much appreciated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
@bobbybox Grove Park

Last edited:

Economist

Congrats Vacuumfriends, I did hear that Southeastern is one of the few TOCs where assessment passes are valid for the full five years, am I correct in thinking this?

IKB

Congratulations on getting in.

You will get a staff travel pass (for Govia companies) within the first week. I read Southeastern make you wait 6 months before you're issued with the ATOC card.

You don't need to do any learning prior to starting. You will be taught/instructed on everything you need to know.

Last edited:

Vacuumfriends

@economist I have absolutely no idea mate. Thanks for replying though.
@Ikb thanks for the info. I travel to Charing Cross quite regularly, but not many other stations really so I'd like to get about a bit, just to see how far rural I could go. Also I've never travelled on the route I'd be driving so I'd like to do that. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Irrespective of the reply it is very good advice and you have been offered that advice from others who have replied too. I will also echo those comments.

Reasons why :

You need to be aware of the routes the depot covers and what link etc drives which route. Usually this is not known to new starters.

Routes a depot covers changes. With about a year of training facing you much can change. With potentially 3 timetable changes before you pass out the likely hood for change is a realistic possibility.

Southeastern is potentially going over to Tfl/Dft control (2018) which means that Grove Park will most likely go over to them as they are still a Metro depot.

Routes change. There is a lot of building and infrastructure changing on the SE patch with some major projects. What you see today may not exist tomorrow.

Preconception is a bad thing. The entire structure of the training program is geared up to take someone with zero knowledge. Those who hold certain misconceptions and misinformation struggle more and you need to unlearn existing information which may be wrong or misunderstood. Having a blank slate can be more beneficial in some respects.

Apologies if this is overstepping but if you have a 20 day old baby the best place you can be is at home. Training and becoming a Driver sucks time and the one thing we all appreciate is time. Work/Life balance has just become your priority. If you have done shifts before then you will be aware of this but if you haven't then it will hit you like the proverbial.

BTU

Hi ladies and gents, had the fantastic news that all going well with my medical I will be starting on a trainee driver course in May. :D

My question is, I'm quite eager to do some travelling on the network (route learning etc) because I have three months before I start the course and want to learn as much as I can really. I travel on the network for leisure at the moment, but I'd like to travel around a bit and see what's what.

What is the process to get my staff travel pass (yes I know I'm not employed yet), ie how long after joining before I can apply for it, and what is the process?

Thanks in advance.

My advice is don't try and learn stuff that you don't understand the training course is geared up to teaching people who know nothing about the railway and building them into train drivers if you go out and try to learn it you won't have a clue what is what , also you will need a cab pass if you want to get in any cab and that is also at the disgrection of the driver , just take your time , follow the course there will be plenty of time to do cab rides the time will come when you are sick of route learning and cab riding . Stay at home as long as you can that's what most people on routes try and do ( not me obviously because I was a good little route learner)

Vacuumfriends

@comutor Not overstepping it at all, you've made some excellent and very valid points and said them in a respectful way. I appreciate that. I was told the same in my DMI last week (that there will be a lot of changes). You know your stuff, and have the tact to deliver your message without arrogance and insult.

Thank you.
@BTU I'll definitely take heed to your advise. Thanks. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

BTU

@comutor Not overstepping it at all, you've made some excellent and very valid points and said them in a respectful way. I appreciate that. I was told the same in my DMI last week (that there will be a lot of changes). You know your stuff, and have the tact to deliver your message without arrogance and insult.

Thank you.
@BTU I'll definitely take heed to your advise. Thanks. :D

You are most welcome , enjoy your new job and good luck.

Vacuumfriends

Deleted.
You are most welcome , enjoy your new job and good luck.

You'll get a temporary pass on the first day, possibly even before as they may well send a temp pass out with the induction details. You'll get the real thing after a couple of weeks once the forms have been filled in.
In the meantime don't worry too much, you've got the position (subject to medical) and there will be plenty of time for route learning on your training course.

Good luck for the medical :)

Funny question, but what does the pass look like? Friends on the buses get an Oyster card (with their photo Id) is the reason I'm asking.

Last edited:

leaffall

It's quite mundane tbh, it's designed to go through a ticket barrier so it's the same size and shape as a ticket, slightly more robust with a magnetic strip. It doesn't have a photo although it's backed up by your staff ID and photocard.

Vacuumfriends

It's quite mundane tbh, it's designed to go through a ticket barrier so it's the same size and shape as a ticket, slightly more robust with a magnetic strip. It doesn't have a photo although it's backed up by your staff ID and photocard.

Thought as much. Thanks @leaffall. Better get a new wallet with all these cards lol. What depot are you based at?

maccum

I have just passed my drivers rules course and currently on my traction course and I love every single minute. If u need advice about anything just ask. My southeastern course was in ashford yours will prob be in orpington

Vacuumfriends

I have just passed my drivers rules course and currently on my traction course and I love every single minute. If u need advice about anything just ask. My southeastern course was in ashford yours will prob be in orpington

Thanks mate. I will definitely take you up on that. I'll probably PM you if that's ok? And yeah, Orpington.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No.

The only discount on LUL your TOCNE card will give you is 75% off any through fare from a National Rail station to another, where cross-London transfer is included.

Status
Not open for further replies.