• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern to Waterloo Mainline (29/8~1/9/17, next Xmas 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebmcr

Established Member
Remember that even though RTT lists Denmark Hill as a stop, this is an operational stop only and is not a pick-up or set-down for passengers.

While true, I have witnessed a friendly guard allowing a lady to alight there by prior agreement.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If you're doing this from the Ashford direction, be prepared to cross your legs because all the bogs seem to be out of use on my train.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Oh, now that is a surprise. We seem to be going via Lewisham and across, rather than via Bromley South.

SEClass375

Today is the second time I have done Tonbridge to Waterloo. Albeit it's not the quickest route in compared to the normal route but the scenery is better and how novel it is. I personally cannot wait for it to happen again.

A sidenote, have southeastern changed the way they do announcements on the Electrostar's?

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Would someone please film the journey for me? I have been meaning to do it for ages but not sure if I can find 4 hours to go into London and out again. This could be the very last time this route is done. Once the blockade is over that will be that. I would really appreciate it!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've read that the chances of this being done again are very slim but will it still be technically possible once the Waterloo works are completed for use by Windsor line trains?

It's probably harder to justify after the London Bridge works are complete, but I would like to see Waterloo used as a destination again in the future. Even if it's just a case of using Waterloo during times of disruption or weekend engineering. The only sore point right now is that drivers have to have a DM babysitting them between Denmark Hill and Waterloo. If drivers are able to get signed-off on that route unsupervised, that would no longer be an issue.

A sidenote, have southeastern changed the way they do announcements on the Electrostar's?

This is a bit off-course, but nice to see I'm not the only one who has noticed changes to the onboard CIS recently. Previously when calling at a station, you'd have "Welcome aboard this Southeastern service to Victoria", which now seems to have changed to "This is Bromley South. Welcome abord this Southeastern service to Victoria". Victoria now has the added waffle of "For London Underground and Bus Services to the West End and the City, please make your way to the front of the station. For Victoria Coach Station, located on Buckingham Palace Road, please follow the signs." - I definitely remember them having this a few years ago but they got rid of it for a while. Nice to see it has come back.

Most interstingly, though, if you look at the external displays, they've started displaying "Coach 3 of 0", which is obviously wrong, but given the 377s were already displaying coach numbers, makes me wonder if this is a precursor to seeing 375+377 multiple workings from next year. I've heard plenty of arguments about "why this will happen" vs "why this won't happen", but these software modifications to the 375s seems to suggest the former: that it will start happening.

Last edited:

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Is anyone going for a ride on the curve tomorrow? I am thinking about it but don't want to go on my own.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Is anyone going for a ride on the curve tomorrow? I am thinking about it but don't want to go on my own.
I'm currently trying to get to Orpington. Alas there are signalling issues there and so far all the trains have skipped it. I would go to Sevenoaks but as it's not valid on Oyster, the cost is £8 vers £2.60. That's with a gold card discount.

In fact according to National Rail Enquiries App, they don't even sell a return so it's £16! Either that or the 2x£8 singles are cheaper than the return!

I might have to wait and hope they don't suddenly decide for the 12:56 not to stop there. Currently it is due to do so but then so was the 12:27 until they decided otherwise.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not my luck. Just after I jump on a Waterloo bound train, I find the 12.56 s cancelled to Orpington.

I want to travel on the curve but not for £16.

Disruption is now expected until 13:00 so maybe the 13:27 will be ok. It's currently stopping at Orpington but I know that could change at any time.

I could go via Victoria, which I may not have done but that's not as appealing.

infobleep

Veteran Member
They are running tomorrow and Monday. On Monday it's to Folkestone Central rather than Dover Priory.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...RP/2018/01/01/1154?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I'm just waiting it out with a wonder around London. I don't really want to come back tomorrow or Monday.

Some of he trains are rather busy today. I could start a while thread on that but it's nothing that hasn't been side before and some of it is political. I'm not talking Southeastern in these perticular cases.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Looks like the 13:27 is cancelled too. As is the 13:56. Disruption now until 14:00. The 14:27 is currently ok but I wonder if at 14:00 disruption will be until 15:00 and at 15:00 until 16:00 and so on. Think I'm going to give up today.

I would like to do it in daylight.

TheAdelante

According to Real-time Trains while SE are diverting to Waterloo TL are running to Victoria!!!

Established Member
Looks like I was lucky. The 12.27 left 10 late, and after a tour of South London eventually got to Sevenoaks via Bat and Ball just a minute down having avoided Orpington as well.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Oh
Looks like the 13:27 is cancelled too. As is the 13:56. Disruption now until 14:00. The 14:27 is currently ok but I wonder if at 14:00 disruption will be until 15:00 and at 15:00 until 16:00 and so on. Think I'm going to give up today.

I would like to do it in daylight.
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I hope you don't have far to travel home. I am glad I didn't bother today after all. Let me know if you fancy joining me tomorrow or Monday. I would like to do the curve with someone.

mister-sparky

The Hastings trains are being advertised as terminating at Tonbridge. But really they’re attaching to Ramsgate portions at Tonbridge and going on to Waterloo. Why aren’t they being advertised on the train planning apps/sites as dividing?

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looks like they've implemented Temporary Block Working between Petts Wood and Knockholt.

That will really throttle capacity through Orpington, so I'd guess the Waterloo trains won't stop there until that is removed, which could be some time.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Oh

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. I hope you don't have far to travel home. I am glad I didn't bother today after all. Let me know if you fancy joining me tomorrow or Monday. I would like to do the curve with someone.
I had hoped to visit some shops whilst I was there. I'll PM you if I do decide to do it. I might do it on Monday.

The could do Sevenoaks but the £16 is putting me off as I won't be there for very long, given how late it is now getting.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Looks like they've implemented Temporary Block Working between Petts Wood and Knockholt.

That will really throttle capacity through Orpington, so I'd guess the Waterloo trains won't stop there until that is removed, which could be some time.
Apparently trains are being diverted but not to worry as the disruption is expected to continue until 14:00, even though the 14:27 isn't stopping at Orpington.

In fact looking at the inbound service, I suspected for sometime before Orpington was cancelled from the 14:2, that it wouldn't be stopping there. Not surprisingly I was right.

At 13:56 that they announced the disruption until 15:00, so it's no longer 14:00. Previously it had been 12:53 when they announced that disruption until 14:00. The 14:57 is stopping at Orpington however. For long remains to be seen. The inbound service is stopping their though. Actually scrap that. I misread the timetable. The inbound service is not stopping their. Thus I cannot see why this would stop at Orpington. Even if it goes that way, skipping Orpington would help it make up lost time.

They claim the trains are being diverted around Orpington. I guess it's the Thameslink services into Victoria that are making use of their he temporary block working.

Last edited:

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's the Tunbridge Wells/Victoria via Lewisham stoppers which are going via Orpington.

They've also managed to get the Orpington/Victoria via Beckenham stoppers running into the slow side.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hastings to Waterloo diverted via Otford, Bromley and Catford Loop
I think they were always going via the Catford loop today (and tomorrow and Monday). Blackfriars is closed so it's a different set of diversions to yesterday across the board!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well at 14:41 they dried the disruption was expected u til 16:00. On Twitter SE are saying they don't know when the disruption will cease.

Would it not be better to put that in the disruption notice rather than adding am. Hour on each hour. At Keats this hour they did at 14:41 as opposed to 14:56, as they had done at 13:56 to sat disruption until 16:00.

I've spent time slowly wandering around Central London instead.

Malcolmffc

I’m curious to know how well the PIS systems can cope with this diversion.

-Can the onboard PA systems announce a destination of Waterloo?

- At Waterloo, can the station announcements say the SE stations the train is calling at?

- At SE stations, can the platform information and voices show and say “Waterloo”?

Status
Not open for further replies.