• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern train passengers stuck for 3 hours as train fails yards from Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelW

Established Member
Apologists for passenger stupidity (in excusing "self-evacuation") would presumably also support such action when (as is not unknown by any means) an aircraft is held outside an airport terminal gate for any period of time deemed unacceptable by individual passengers.
I suspect there would be much less temptation for passengers to self-evacuate if trains provided (i) a seat for every passenger (ii) 'cabin crew' in each coach, and (iii) refreshments while waiting, as would be the case with aircraft delay.
And that is why it took so long, the passengers delayed themselves ! Had they not operated the emergency alarm/egress, the train may well have been able to roil back into the platform, the driver got the brakes off, but then they were applied again by the passengers as far as I can work out !
I thought that in modern rolling stock, passenger alarms were not automatically linked to brakes, in part to avoid this sort of issue? Is it just that these units still have old-generation alarm systems?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

modernrail

What strikes me on with these incidents is how long it seems to take to move through the various options. You may have a hideous number of people stuck in a very small space per person with no water, food, toilets or general comfort. That is unnecessary in most cases if people are on the ball. Why don't they always err on the side of caution and be ready to implement all the steps rather than waiting for one to fail before moving on to considering the next option. So, if other traction might be required, call for it straight away.

For me, any train stuck within the busier parts of the network should be considered a 'red' alert. Conditions are likely to deteriorate quickly, all reasonable steps need to be implemented immediately to move that train to a station. This also reduces the risk of knock on problems of a similar nature on other trains that might become trapped behind the existing failed train. Personally I think this should instantly become a BTP matter, with BTP setting up a command that oversees the rail company professionals and makes sure they are happy that all possible coordination is happening. The aim in London should be very simple - de-train within an hour if other solutions have failed. Do I care if my sleeper goes down in the highlands? No, I enjoy a lie in and probably money back and I have everything I need on the train for a good while. This sort of situation is completely different to that but it is not clear the processes acknowledge that.

As for passengers pulling the alarms, if rolling back really was a viable option did they really do a good job of telling passengers not to do that? I am afraid it is odds on that on any train in London you are likely to have people who will start to panic at being stuck in a confined space. The only way to stop those people is to make sure somebody is pretty much shouting with a loudspeaker not to do whatever it is you don't want them to do. Did anybody do that? I doubt it. I am personally doubtful that the option of rolling back was stopped by passengers and if it was I am not sure the blame lies with the passengers.

I actually catch this service regularly and I am about 6 months out of a health problem that would have caused me problems in this scenario. I won't go into further detail but I absolutely empathise with passengers who believe contingency plans could and should be much, much better.

transmanche

Established Member
What strikes me on with these incidents is how long it seems to take to move through the various options.
I think that programmes such as Paddington 24/7 have shown us is that the railway is extremely poor at; a) working out what has gone wrong, b) working out what to do about it and c) communicating that information internally (let alone to passengers).

underbank

Established Member
If such a system does exist it should be used only in the most dire emergency of the kind of leave this area now or you will die.

Shame they didn't have the facility to do just that for Grenfell Tower. If it has been used in the US and Poland, then surely it needs to be made available in the UK too when there is serious risk of inevitable death and no other way to communicate that!

underbank

Established Member
New units are controlled by a computer system which waits until power is taken before brakes release (to prevent accidental roll backs), in this case once it’s gapped there’s no solution.

Then a manual override needs to be engineered-in to facilitate it.

underbank

Established Member
Seems that once again it's happened outside "office hours", when hardly anyone with any authority is on. How long would it have taken one of the diesels normally on Stewarts Lane to come across and give a push? About 5 minutes. Was there even anyone on duty with the authority to ask for this? No.

It's the same problem everywhere now. Out of hours provision is right down to skeleton staff who seem to have little, if any, power to do things when things go wrong. Whether it's a night-time fire, a weekend car crash, etc., always seems to be a glacially slow response - plenty of "first responders" who are working and can get to the scene, but if they don't have the power/knowledge/experience, there's then unusually a long delay before more senior people and resources are mobilised, often from many miles away, so lengthy delays before they arrive and can take the further actions needed.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
How can you be both gapped and planning to use the gradient to roll at the same time?

No idea. Perhaps take the brake off and roll

Seems that once again it's happened outside "office hours", when hardly anyone with any authority is on. How long would it have taken one of the diesels normally on Stewarts Lane to come across and give a push? About 5 minutes. Was there even anyone on duty with the authority to ask for this? No.

Person in authority - please use one of the diesels normally on Stewarts Lane to come across and give a push?

other person - sorry chief. No driver/Driver out of hours/shunter only competent in the depot/wrong coupling/DBS want loads of cash etc etc etc

While in 1982 sending a 73 from Stewarts Lane would have been easy it is a bit harder in 2018.

What strikes me on with these incidents is how long it seems to take to move through the various options. You may have a hideous number of people stuck in a very small space per person with no water, food, toilets or general comfort. That is unnecessary in most cases if people are on the ball. Why don't they always err on the side of caution and be ready to implement all the steps rather than waiting for one to fail before moving on to considering the next option. So, if other traction might be required, call for it straight away.

it is almost as if no one has thought of this!

You can call for assisting traction all day long. it has to be found and delivered to site. That might mean knocking someone up to drive the things and getting him or her to the depot then finding a path for the train to site. That means finding somewhere to park the passenger trains to clear the line. You also need a shunter to connect the trains. Bets give him a bell to.

also consider that if you want a rescue loco you need to rip that off a commercial service. You have to find somewhere to park that train out of the way and work with the FOC to make sure they have resource to move the train when you release the loco

Oh your hour has gone..................

For me, any train stuck within the busier parts of the network should be considered a 'red' alert. Conditions are likely to deteriorate quickly, all reasonable steps need to be implemented immediately to move that train to a station. This also reduces the risk of knock on problems of a similar nature on other trains that might become trapped behind the existing failed train. Personally I think this should instantly become a BTP matter, with BTP setting up a command that oversees the rail company professionals and makes sure they are happy that all possible coordination is happening. The aim in London should be very simple - de-train within an hour if other solutions have failed. Do I care if my sleeper goes down in the highlands? No, I enjoy a lie in and probably money back and I have everything I need on the train for a good while. This sort of situation is completely different to that but it is not clear the processes acknowledge that.

Great - let BTP run things. Can they arrange to get the MOM from base to site any quicker? Can they get enough PTS trained staff to site to help get the passengers off? Can they get the fire brigade there to help off load any difficult cases? Can they arrange to get the power shut off and the track isolated any quicker? Can they get the possessions agreed in that time? Can they arrange to de energise everything? Can they arrange to stop all the other trains on the line in stations so no one else is stranded? Can they get lights on site and safe walking routes laid out to the nearest access point? Can they then arrange people in groups to walk them through the site and make sure no one wanders off? Can they do all this inside an hour? Are you sure?

As for passengers pulling the alarms, if rolling back really was a viable option did they really do a good job of telling passengers not to do that? I am afraid it is odds on that on any train in London you are likely to have people who will start to panic at being stuck in a confined space. The only way to stop those people is to make sure somebody is pretty much shouting with a loudspeaker not to do whatever it is you don't want them to do. Did anybody do that? I doubt it. I am personally doubtful that the option of rolling back was stopped by passengers and if it was I am not sure the blame lies with the passengers.

On a single manned train when the driver is trying to fix faults, liaise with signalers, speak to control, confirm arrangements AND make announcements could it be that task overload is reached?

I actually catch this service regularly and I am about 6 months out of a health problem that would have caused me problems in this scenario. I won't go into further detail but I absolutely empathise with passengers who believe contingency plans could and should be much, much better.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the final point but it much harder than you or many posters are prepared to recognise.

EDIT - I am not trying to be rsey. These are prima facie sensible ideas. The problem is the real world gets in the way. I doubt an hour is a realistic target because of that. It could take someone that long to get from base to site through traffic.

I think that programmes such as Paddington 24/7 have shown us is that the railway is extremely poor at; a) working out what has gone wrong, b) working out what to do about it and c) communicating that information internally (let alone to passengers).

I disagree - it doesn't show a & b at all. it shows how situations change very quickly as more detailed information comes in.

It does show a bit of C although i would suggest that is more down to the fragmented nature of the rail industry in the UK post privatization.

Shame they didn't have the facility to do just that for Grenfell Tower. If it has been used in the US and Poland, then surely it needs to be made available in the UK too when there is serious risk of inevitable death and no other way to communicate that!

But the people there followed the advice given. They were told to stay put and await rescue.

Last edited:

underbank

Established Member
But the people there followed the advice given. They were told to stay put and await rescue.

Trouble was that the fire brigade didn't communicate the change in advice when their advice changed from stay put to get out. The ones who were in contact with friends/relatives via facebook, text, twitter or whatever, or who were knocked-up (sorry!) by their neighbours are the ones who managed to escape, some from the upper floors. There was still time for some after the official "stay put" advice was changed to get out - some (again even from upper floors) escaped after that time, but the fire service didn't contact people back who'd phoned them, so they were still waiting in the vain hope of being rescued - after all, they'd been told (wrongly) that fire fighters were on their way to rescue them. Had the fire brigade contacted those people to tell them that they were on their own and would die if they didn't make their own way out, then more people would have at least tried to escape. Unfortunately, the f/b didn't think they had any way of communicating that. According to the public inquiry (which I watch live daily!) there are witnesses who were on upper floors who made their own decision to evacuate, pretty late on and well after the official advice changed, and tried to persuade others on their floor to leave with them, but the others decided to stay put (and died) in the mistaken belief that firefighters were on their way and would rescue them.

OneOffDave

On a single manned train when the driver is trying to fix faults, liaise with signalers, speak to control, confirm arrangements AND make announcements could it be that task overload is reached?
This where you run into capacity issues really quickly. The Peckham Rye detrainment shows what can happen when one individual is given too many tasks

modernrail

I am suggesting BTP oversight (not running the show) because:

- We are stuck with too many cooks because of the fragmented nature of the railways. There needs to be a head chef with real authority.
- BTP end up called in anyway when it all goes to s*it. Better to have them in from the start. Let's be clear, any situation like this has the potential to become a public safety problem almost instantly.
- One of the problems to the casual bystander seems to be the lack of protocols. BTP should be good at running protocols if they train for it etc and they can use those protocols to support the railway staff on site run through options and find solutions. They can also shout at anybody who is not around that needs to be to make decisions and give authorisations.

On the general points in my response, I don't consider them to be arsey. However, it is very simple, either the railway industry sorts this out or somebody else needs to come in and force them to. What is absolutely not acceptable is for excuses to continue to be made. There are solutions and they need to be planned and implemented in a much better way. That is one of the jobs of those who run trains, whether they can be arsed or not and the general disdain for passengers in these situations is frankly pathetic.

I had a situation in Germany recently where my train broke down, there was a lineside fire and several other trains broke down around us due to various heat related issues. It wasn't smooth but we were on the move pretty bloody quickly with new traction and a new route. Every single staff member I spoke to knew the plan and their absolute priority seemed to be keeping passengers informed and comfortable, including somebody turning up to an intermediate station with a shed load of water bottles as the AC had given up. I missed a connection as we arrived in Hamburg pretty late and after 5 mins at the info desk had a new ticket and a hotel for the night paid for and booked there and then by DB. Systems don't ensure perfection but they get you to a much better place.

142Pilot

Let it roll back?

How? The system is fail safe. The brakes stay on if it all goes south. The only way of releasing them is to go out and isolate the brakes manually. Then you have the real possiblity of once isolating them not being able to stop the train from moving. Yes you could use the parking brake, but it's introducing risk that might not actually work.

Taunton

Established Member
other person - sorry chief. No driver/Driver out of hours/shunter only competent in the depot/wrong coupling/DBS want loads of cash etc etc etc
I'm sure there could be more excuses than that.

We'll know we're at the end of them though when someone says "Lessons will be learned". Not that they ever are. That's the real "shuffle it under the carpet" expression.

transmanche

Established Member
I disagree - it doesn't show a & b at all. it shows how situations change very quickly as more detailed information comes in.
You call it 'situation changing as more detailed information comes in'. I call it 'poor at working out what has gone wrong'. :D And it shows a lot of it.

Anyway, that's dragging us off topic...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am suggesting BTP oversight (not running the show) because:

- We are stuck with too many cooks because of the fragmented nature of the railways. There needs to be a head chef with real authority.
- BTP end up called in anyway when it all goes to s*it. Better to have them in from the start. Let's be clear, any situation like this has the potential to become a public safety problem almost instantly.
- One of the problems to the casual bystander seems to be the lack of protocols. BTP should be good at running protocols if they train for it etc and they can use those protocols to support the railway staff on site run through options and find solutions. They can also shout at anybody who is not around that needs to be to make decisions and give authorisations.

But there is already someone in charge. I suspect it will be the route control manager or even the Route MD if things get really bad. They will already have BTP involvement from the start. The BTP can shout all they like but as I said how will that fix some real world problems? Will shouting get the power off sooner? Will shouting get a driver to site quicker? Perhaps you could tell me how that could happen.

On the general points in my response, I don't consider them to be arsey. However, it is very simple, either the railway industry sorts this out or somebody else needs to come in and force them to. What is absolutely not acceptable is for excuses to continue to be made. There are solutions and they need to be planned and implemented in a much better way. That is one of the jobs of those who run trains, whether they can be arsed or not and the general disdain for passengers in these situations is frankly pathetic.

it was my response I was talking about. As I keep touching on, how is someone from the outside world going to force a driver to work more than his legally allowed hours? Is this wonderful outside person going to be blessed with the strength of Atlas to lift trains out of the way to facilitate a path for a rescue loco?

I am not making any excuses. 3 hours is far too long to leave a train stranded, especially one so close to a major terminus. That should be obvious to anyone. What I am trying to do is get you and others to acknowledge that their simple solutions are not, in the real world, quite as simple as they want to believe and that fixing things isnt quite as straight forward.

I had a situation in Germany recently where my train broke down, there was a lineside fire and several other trains broke down around us due to various heat related issues. It wasn't smooth but we were on the move pretty bloody quickly with new traction and a new route. Every single staff member I spoke to knew the plan and their absolute priority seemed to be keeping passengers informed and comfortable, including somebody turning up to an intermediate station with a shed load of water bottles as the AC had given up. I missed a connection as we arrived in Hamburg pretty late and after 5 mins at the info desk had a new ticket and a hotel for the night paid for and booked there and then by DB. Systems don't ensure perfection but they get you to a much better place.

isnt Germany wonderful. Now, what could be different about how their railways are structured?

I'm sure there could be more excuses than that.

We'll know we're at the end of them though when someone says "Lessons will be learned". Not that they ever are. That's the real "shuffle it under the carpet" expression.

Another poster unwilling to acknowledge the real world. It is a great frustration with this board. How do you pose to drive your loco without a driver? Perhaps you could send a helicopter to get him form home to depot quicker.

You call it 'situation changing as more detailed information comes in'. I call it 'poor at working out what has gone wrong'. :D And it shows a lot of it.

Anyway, that's dragging us off topic...

lets try and be serious here shall we. You seem unwilling to acknowledge the obvious realities in trying to score cheap points.

underbank

Established Member
They didn't. Your post has an undertone that they were negligent; the inquiry did not conclude that.

The inquiry has barely started and won't conclude anything until next year. And no, there's no intentional undertone. Whether or not they could have communicated the change in policy is something which the inquiry will make it's view known when it's finished - next year. It's not for me, nor anyone else to second guess their findings, and certainly not until they've finished hearing evidence.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The inquiry has barely started and won't conclude anything until next year. And no, there's no intentional undertone. Whether or not they could have communicated the change in policy is something which the inquiry will make it's view known when it's finished - next year. It's not for me, nor anyone else to second guess their findings, and certainly not until they've finished hearing evidence.

So how do you feel they might have done it in a building with no central fire alarm (amazes me that blocks of flats often don't), no PA and a massive fire blazing away so you could probably barely hear a thing? Scrawl it on a bit of A4 and hold it up hoping someone on the top floor has a telescope to read it?

It seems obvious that they in fact did not have a viable way to communicate that change of plan. And nor is it in their power nor remit to create one.

transmanche

Established Member
You seem unwilling to acknowledge the obvious realities in trying to score cheap points.
I'm not trying to score cheap points. On Paddington 24/7 (and similar documentaries)s what I have seen is hard-working people doing their best. But, as I said, I have also seen that the railway is extremely poor at; a) working out what has gone wrong, b) working out what to do about it and c) communicating that information internally (let alone to passengers).

You disagree. That's fine. But there's no need to slag me off for having a different opinion to you.

So how do you feel they might have done it in a building with no central fire alarm (amazes me that blocks of flats often don't), no PA and a massive fire blazing away so you could probably barely hear a thing? Scrawl it on a bit of A4 and hold it up hoping someone on the top floor has a telescope to read it?

It seems obvious that they in fact did not have a viable way to communicate that change of plan. And nor is it in their power nor remit to create one.

During the enquiry it's come out that someone on the ground did investigate the possibility of using an MPS helicopter, which is equipped with incredibly powerful PA system and "night sun" lights, as well as a radio transmitter capable of interrupting FM radio, to spread the message. It could also have provided a video link to the crews on the ground. The helicopter was stood down amidst fears the downdraft could fan the flames. It seems to me it was a pretty hopeless situation.

For anyone interested, Auntie Beeb are running an excellent podcast covering the enquiry... It's fascinating, and occasionally very disturbing...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p066rd9t/episodes/downloads

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm not trying to score cheap points. On Paddington 24/7 (and similar documentaries)s what I have seen is hard-working people doing their best. But, as I said, I have also seen that the railway is extremely poor at; a) working out what has gone wrong, b) working out what to do about it and c) communicating that information internally (let alone to passengers).

You disagree. That's fine. But there's no need to slag me off for having a different opinion to you.

I haven't slagged anyone off! I am simply saying I don' t think you are are being accurate. What you are seeing is how information changes from an initial call to a solution:

• I have broken down
  • I have broken down and am trying to find out why
  • I have broken down because of X
  • I have a plan to fix X
  • I am speaking to the fitters as that didn't work but they have a plan.
  • I am still broken as that plan didn't work
  • The fitters are coming as they think they can fix it
  • we cant fix it. I need rescue.
What is really hard is to get the resulting information out to people on the ground at the stations. I don't know why but suspect it is a result of a Chinese whispers like system of fragmentation

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Despite all these comments (many being quite sensible and constructive), I still believe that the best way to reduce the likelihood of passengers taking matters into their own hands is BETTER COMMUNICATION. We keep touching on it, it crops up in just about every incident, it's always criticized as inadequate - and it's usually follows by 'lessons will be learned'........

Surely, in 2018, with all the technology available at our fingertips/smart phones or whatever, there really must be a way of getting clear, concise information to the stranded passengers. If you are trying to handle such an incident, and can ensure that that issue has been resolved, it should give a little more time for everything else to follow on in a safe and logical order.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I thought that in modern rolling stock, passenger alarms were not automatically linked to brakes, in part to avoid this sort of issue? Is it just that these units still have old-generation alarm systems?
The passenger alarm isn't linked to the brakes but the emergency egresses on the doors are. The driver has the ability to isolate the interlock circuit to proceed with no door interlock but how do they confirm that every set of doors is closed before doing so? This is what happened at the Kentish Town stranding a few years ago.

Let it roll back?

How? The system is fail safe. The brakes stay on if it all goes south. The only way of releasing them is to go out and isolate the brakes manually. Then you have the real possiblity of once isolating them not being able to stop the train from moving. Yes you could use the parking brake, but it's introducing risk that might not actually work.
Traditionally I believe you could release the brakes with no traction power - not sure if this was with a purely pneumatic system or an electrically actuated system which would need power from batteries. However someone mentioned upthread that this modern trains do not allow this. Perhaps there should be an override to allow brake release if there is power in the batteries and enough air in the reservoirs to be able to stop again?

bionic

You can roll a networker if it's off juice as long as the brake continuity wire is complete... eg: no egresses, sufficient main res air etc. You haven't got long though because once the Main res pressure leaks off the parking brakes will come on and then you'll be knackered and have to attach another unit to pump it up. There's a lot of people on here who don't seem to believe me but a 465 will roll very easily.

LAX54

Established Member
We could have a loco standing 'ready' every 20 miles or so, we could also have a Driver, with said loco 24/7 just 'waiting', and the Shunter too.
We could have a Control Manager for every incident, and one in an office every 50 miles or so

But it all costs money, and I am sure the passengers would not wish to pay for this 'insurance', so we are left with obtaining a loco and crew as quick as it possible to do so.

As for moving the train itself, once someone has seen various door lights on, then it has to be assumed that that time, that someone may have jumped ship,

The likes of Paddington 24/7 is more for entertainment than what actually happens, but then all so called reality shows are the same, so it as it is, and the viewers would be tumbling to zero !

Taunton

Established Member
Another poster unwilling to acknowledge the real world. It is a great frustration with this board. How do you pose to drive your loco without a driver?
I think the disappointment is those who look for excuses even though there is no account that it might be the situation. Envisaging what if there is no driver available, rather than thinking what can be done if there IS. Even better, thinking through all the contingencies in advance so, if necessary, we know where to start, and quickly. Especially if, as the comments above state, gapping in the Victoria throat is a recurring issue.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Especially on that gradient into Victoria

Apologies. I was implying it will roll 'backwards' very easily. However, you can 'coast/roll' a unit from Shepherds Lane all the way into Vic :)

If your up by Grovesnor I'd agree you could easily roll it from a stand.

philthetube

Established Member
Since loads of people have smart phones on almost all the time how about an emergency twitter feed or similar as a backup. Everyone on the train would then find out pretty quickly methinks.

Serious incidents - Terrorist attack: Yes. natural disaster: Yes. Massive life threatening conflagration: Yes. One train stuck near a station: hmmmmmmmmmmmm not sure.

Agree entirely with the final point

EDIT - i think the sentiment behind the idea is correct. I am just not sure some kind of network wide broadcast is appropriate or proportionate for this kind of thing. If such a system does exist it should be used only in the most dire emergency of the kind of leave this area now or you will die.

If it is being used for nothing else then why not, providing it is not used for junk and things are prioritised.

Status
Not open for further replies.