• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Trainee Driver - All Depots - (20/09/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Luckyflames

Anyone been invited for any assessment
Days yet ?

Tempted to apply. Awaiting MMI with Southern. Last stage. What’s people’s thoughts. ?

I’m in a similar position. I’m awaiting a DMI with Southern and have already passed the MMI elsewhere.

I’ve also applied for SE, because two of my friends have been in the talent pool for Southern for 18+ months.

I feel potentially having a few options will be a good thing.
Submitted my application. Best of
Luck to you

Tempted to apply. Awaiting MMI with Southern. Last stage. What’s people’s thoughts. ?

I’m in a similar position. I’m awaiting a DMI with Southern and have already passed the MMI elsewhere.

I’ve also applied for SE, because two of my friends have been in the talent pool for Southern for 18+ months.

I feel potentially having a few options will be a good thing.
How long have you been waiting for your DMI ?

REO Nate

Anyone been invited for any assessment
Days yet ?

Submitted my application. Best of
Luck to you

How long have you been waiting for your DMI ?

Best of luck to you too

I’ve been waiting about 6 weeks for a DMI with Southern. Took them ages to check my previous results and accept them.

Stigy

Established Member
Depending on the TOC, and since Railfan emphasised that the assessments they took was not for a Shunter Driver/Depot Driver role, that shouldn’t be the case, as only driver grades are subject to the Train Driver psychometric assessments. If both shunter and shunter Driver are the same role with two different TOCs/FOCs just named differently, that’s where it can get complicated I guess.

Equally, if SET have the two grades, which both have driving duties within them (bit like GWR do with Manos/Depot Drivers), then I stand to be corrected.

I am bit confused, I attempted the driver tests last year same month but didn’t pass, 2 year before that I’ve attempted the shunter assessment not shunter driver. Does this mean I’ve had my 2 chances and I won’t be eligible for this?

Last edited:

Jackofspades

Depending on the TOC, and since Railfan emphasised that the assessments they took was not for a Shunter Driver/Depot Driver role, that shouldn’t be the case, as only driver grades are subject to the Train Driver psychometric assessments. If both shunter and shunter Driver are the same role with two different TOCs/FOCs just named differently, that’s where it can get complicated I guess.

Equally, if SET have the two grades, which both have driving duties within them (bit like GWR do with Manos/Depot Drivers), then I stand to be corrected.

Southeastern require shunter drivers to achieve national standard including MMI. Then go on to depot manager interview. So I imagine failing psychometrics twice previously means you cannot apply for this

WA_Driver

The reason why they are looking for more drivers is because they are haemorrhaging staff. Drivers are leaving in their droves to go to other TOCs owing to the poor wage (compared with neighbouring TOCs) and the rock bottom morale. The union on SET are utterly hopeless and in the manager's pocket. So by all means use SET to get your key, but after that you won't want to hang around, unless things dramatically improve.
Why not become a union rep if you’re that unhappy with the union?

Luckyflames

Sometimes, rather than rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic, it’s easier just to jump ship!
Ha ha. Very good. So I’m your humble opinion you wouldn’t recommending becoming a trainee train
river for south eastern ?

Stigy

Established Member
Ha ha. Very good. So I’m your humble opinion you wouldn’t recommending becoming a trainee train
Frankly, if you’re looking to be a driver, you’d be silly to not go to anyone who’s recruiting based on negative experiences of others. These jobs are so sought after, if you want to be train driver, go anywhere if not just to get your key.

Whatever the conditions at SET, there are many other industries and jobs which will be ten times worse.

REO Nate

I worked as an REO for SET and have several friends who are drivers. All have recommended the job and pay/life balance. Some have gripes with the company, but all enjoy the job. I’ve applied for the position and wouldn’t hesitate to go back to SET for the position.

iwasyoungonce

Frankly, if you’re looking to be a driver, you’d be silly to not go to anyone who’s recruiting based on negative experiences of others. These jobs are so sought after, if you want to be train driver, go anywhere if not just to get your key.

Whatever the conditions at SET, there are many other industries and jobs which will be ten times worse.
Apply for everything and make your decision when your offered the job

Established Member

All joking aside, I wouldn’t say that at all. There are some good people there, and it’s as good a place as any to get a key. If you can drive SE metro services for a while without screwing up, you’ll be able to drive anywhere! Morale is generally not great and you will realise why for yourself soon enough. Luckily if you’re in the catchment area for SE you’ll be in the catchment for other TOCs with better work, or else a transfer to country/coastal depots.

Luckyflames

All joking aside, I wouldn’t say that at all. There are some good people there, and it’s as good a place as any to get a key. If you can drive SE metro services for a while without screwing up, you’ll be able to drive anywhere! Morale is generally not great and you will realise why for yourself soon enough. Luckily if you’re in the catchment area for SE you’ll be in the catchment for other TOCs with better work, or else a transfer to country/coastal depots.
Thanks. Im
Currently on the last stage for southern awaiting my MMI. But South eastern is nearer for me. I’m in Rochester. And to be honest the job I’m in at the moment. Morale is rock bottom. Screwed us all on our pensions. Would be easier travel better pay etc.

Frankie4763

Thanks. Im
Currently on the last stage for southern awaiting my MMI. But South eastern is nearer for me. I’m in Rochester. And to be honest the job I’m in at the moment. Morale is rock bottom. Screwed us all on our pensions. Would be easier travel better pay etc.
Firefighter?

Established Member
Thanks. Im

Glad to hear - I’m sure once you’re in you won’t look back. If you end up choosing between them you’re no doubt aware southern are on considerably more money (£10K+) so that’s something to keep in mind. SE haven’t had a new pay deal for years and with all the GBR uncertainty that doesn’t look likely to change.

Obviously location is a big factor to weigh up as well as headline pay. Best of luck with it!

Luckyflames

I’m a little bit confused. Completed my application for South Eastern. Received an email confirming that they’d be in touch after review. And my status showed in progress. Now gone into the portal today. And it says incomplete. With a red ? At the end after green ticks. Anyone experienced similar.

Glad to hear - I’m sure once you’re in you won’t look back. If you end up choosing between them you’re no doubt aware southern are on considerably more money (£10K+) so that’s something to keep in mind. SE haven’t had a new pay deal for years and with all the GBR uncertainty that doesn’t look likely to change.

Obviously location is a big factor to weigh up as well as headline pay. Best of luck with it!
Thank you for your reply.

MintyMango

I’m a little bit confused. Completed my application for South Eastern. Received an email confirming that they’d be in touch after review. And my status showed in progress. Now gone into the portal today. And it says incomplete. With a red ? At the end after green ticks. Anyone experienced similar.

Thank you for your reply.

I have this as well. It shows my application as 'In Process' at the top but further down the page under 'Upcoming Events' it says incomplete. I think my application has been sent though and just putting it down as a glitch

Luckyflames

I have this as well. It shows my application as 'In Process' at the top but further down the page under 'Upcoming Events' it says incomplete. I think my application has been sent though and just putting it down as a glitch
Ahhh ok. I don’t think I’ve done myself any favours. As I now have 2 emails received saying my application has been received. Best of luck to you.

ShadM

Yes I have this. Redone it and now I've had a second email. Still shows incomplete under upcoming events. Definitely a glitch

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
If people wish to speculate about what this will mean for SE recruitment, please use other threads and for general discussion of the change you can find the main thread here.

In the mean time, Southeastern (or their replacement) will continue to need drivers. Please keep this thread related to the ongoing recruitment drive only.

Jimbo12345

Thanks. Im

Pay, pensions and t&c’s will change on the railways soon - they (the gov) are set on it…to what degree though..who knows! Just a friendly warning that things prob won’t stay as good as they are now.

Jaytrains

Morning everyone, Quick question say you started your training with a toc that’s national standard and now your a qualified driver for over two years, are you able to apply for qualified positions at enhanced tocs? Or would you have to sit the dfft & vse?

Established Member
Morning everyone, Quick question say you started your training with a toc that’s national standard and now your a qualified driver for over two years, are you able to apply for qualified positions at enhanced tocs? Or would you have to sit the dfft & vse?

Just apply as a qualified driver, trainee test scores aren’t considered at all. They’ll be a lot more interested in your SOL record!

T-Karmel

Once you get your driving licence, the world's your Oyster. Well, only "the UK world" despite the licence being European by its name.

Traffic71

I worked as an REO for SET and have several friends who are drivers. All have recommended the job and pay/life balance. Some have gripes with the company, but all enjoy the job. I’ve applied for the position and wouldn’t hesitate to go back to SET for the position.
Why did you leave your job as a REO? That could have led to an internal move to driving?

UnknownG

Once again i failed the customer services questionnaire. Anyone got any advice on how to pass it. Ive previously passed SJT's and was awaiting a DMI with DB but it got pulled due go them losing contracts at the depot i wanted to work at

Status
Not open for further replies.