• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Trainee Driver - All Depots - (20/09/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grvrdvicdr

If you applied for mainline depots there’s a good chance you’ll be waiting a very long time before you’ll be invited for assessments let alone a start date as even internal there’s long waiting lists for these especially tonbridge, but obviously depends on Recuitment and need for drivers. when I applied internally it took 5 months from application to being offered a start date so keep your fingers crossed it’ll be similar for you. Good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wez

If you applied for mainline depots there’s a good chance you’ll be waiting a very long time before you’ll be invited for assessments let alone a start date as even internal there’s long waiting lists for these especially tonbridge, but obviously depends on Recuitment and need for drivers. when I applied internally it took 5 months from application to being offered a start date so keep your fingers crossed it’ll be similar for you. Good luck!
Thanks for coming back to us. Yes I can imagine the list being long but like you said fingers crossed.

Azer85448

Someone on a different thread was invited to assessment centre along with 4 others, who all applied for Hastings apparently ? All within a month of the application closing date

Grvrdvicdr

Someone on a different thread was invited to assessment centre along with 4 others, who all applied for Hastings apparently ? All within a month of the application closing date
Likely staffing needs, not many internals move to Hastings as there’s not really any variety in routes as it’s only really Hastings-London and within 40 minutes drive there’s really not that many staff living that way as most stations are unmanned most of the time, whereas tonbridge and ashford for example there’s loads

Aos0304

I applied for Hastings on the 1st October had my assessments at the end of October and have DMI next week. Hoping it goes well

CFRAIL

I applied as part of the recent campaign and am yet to hear anything, although I am internal so maybe that is why. As you say, lots depends on local needs etc...

Tibbins

Yes this was me! Few other people I work with also applied but haven’t heard anything yet! I sadly failed the test!

I applied for Hastings on the 1st October had my assessments at the end of October and have DMI next week. Hoping it goes well
Good luck. I heard they’re only looking for one driver!

Leoleo1833

I went yesterday and i applied for dartford depo but i failed only trp over 5 test that i passed im just wondering will i have to do them again or next time i will just do the one i failed and what is left? If so for how long i have with this option?

Azer85448

I applied for Hastings as well got told I’d passed initial sift but not heard anything since. I already have a valid assessment centre pass. I work with 2 others who applied for Hastings as well.

I went yesterday and i applied for dartford depo but i failed only trp over 5 test that i passed im just wondering will i have to do them again or next time i will just do the one i failed and what is left? If so for how long i have with this option?
You should only have to retry the parts you failed and the results are valid for 5 years

Aos0304

Well had my Dmi on Tuesday and found out today that I have passed I’m over the moon all the hard work and research has payed off. Just waiting on medical now as the final hurdle

CFRAIL

Well had my Dmi on Tuesday and found out today that I have passed I’m over the moon all the hard work and research has payed off. Just waiting on medical now as the final hurdle
That's great news. Congratulations

wez

Hi,

last month I received an email from south eastern rail that I have successfully passed the screening process process for a trainee train driver.

anyone had this email? how long does it take to hear back about next stages?

thank you in advance

I applied for Hastings and had the same email. As someone said there was only one vaccancy at Hastings I asked Southeastern yesterday by email if they had now filled the position(s) - answer was yes but maybe in 2022 they'll have more but cannot comfirm anything.

mresh91

@ComUtoR Hello mate, since you are thee go-to SE guy on this forum, what's the driver situation looking like at metro depots? Are there currently trainees in the pipeline? Any specific depots that have major shortages compared to others and traditionally have a higher driver turnover rate?

Cheers

a340egkk

At Orpington there are at least 4 trainees currently with DIs, with at least 4 drivers having been passed out in as many months.

ComUtoR

Established Member
@ComUtoR Hello mate, since you are thee go-to SE guy on this forum, what's the driver situation looking like at metro depots?

Its always pretty grim.

Are there currently trainees in the pipeline?

Many, many Trainees. Covid has created a huge backlog but its moving.

Any specific depots that have major shortages compared to others and traditionally have a higher driver turnover rate?

SE is having issues at the moment and with GBR/Williams/COVID all having an impact its anybody's guess what the future holds at SE or indeed any TOC. Don't forget that SE are under the OLR so that will also have a significant impact.

Metro always has a huge turnover. Vic suffers the worst I think. They have too many TOCs on their doorstep so staff retention is an ongoing issue. As you lean towards the coast its pretty much dead mans shoes. That hasn't really changed.

mresh91

Thank you both a340egkk and ComUtoR for your responses. I'm not a driver but I work for GTR and know which depots on my patch are perennially and most like to have shortages, so wanted a gauge on the SE side.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
@ComUtoR Hello mate, since you are thee go-to SE guy on this forum, what's the driver situation looking like at metro depots? Are there currently trainees in the pipeline? Any specific depots that have major shortages compared to others and traditionally have a higher driver turnover rate?

Cheers

Metro is as @ComUtoR says always grim because many get their key, stay a few years and then jump over to Overground / GTR / Crossrail / SWR when salaries and many T&Cs are better. Plus people wanting to go further towards Kent.

You also have to remember there's a recruitment timeframe too - get enough people together to run a course, fit the course into the training team's timeframe, ensure its a mix of depots, ensure that times with availability and those depots managers / DIs can pass out a trainee in good time and of course balancing that with your natural wastage of retirements and transferring to other TOCs. Plus you've got the backlog of Trainees to run through due to Covid. It's something of a jigsaw.

REO Nate

Thank you both a340egkk and ComUtoR for your responses. I'm not a driver but I work for GTR and know which depots on my patch are perennially and most like to have shortages, so wanted a gauge on the SE side.

Are you in a position to maybe share your knowledge on this? I’m in the pool with GTR. DM’s open if you prefer.

Emmsie

Received an email today informing me that they will be sending out invites over the next few weeks/months for assessment centres. Tonbridge applicant

Status
Not open for further replies.