• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern Trainee Driver - All Depots - (20/09/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stigy

Established Member

Not sure if it’s an ongoing campaign for a talent pool, or actual vacancies, but I saw that Southeastern were allowing people to apply for Trainee Driver. I couldn’t find it in live vacancies, but under the “job spec” part of their website they were allowing people to apply. If this is old news, Mods please delete or merge this with another thread? Good luck all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Firestarter

Not sure if it’s an ongoing campaign for a talent pool, or actual vacancies, but I saw that Southeastern were allowing people to apply for Trainee Driver. I couldn’t find it in live vacancies, but under the “job spec” part of their website they were allowing people to apply. If this is old news, Mods please delete or merge this with another thread? Good luck all!
Can't see any apply button

DNCharingX

Have to again watch as another trainee opportunity goes by. Not at the age required (blessing/curse).

Though, the customer support opportunity at Sevenoaks seems good (internal progression) if not for how far it is - I'm closer to London than I am to Sevenoaks. Feels like my location might impact my chances through the sift so that's quite the thorn. Regardless, much better than Tonbridge, which is a good 2 or so hours away all said and done.

Might be better to wait for something more local - doesn't help that they have a six months ban on applying following an unsuccessful application (just finished my six).

Good luck to everyone applying here!

Last edited:

Robsey

The reason why they are looking for more drivers is because they are haemorrhaging staff. Drivers are leaving in their droves to go to other TOCs owing to the poor wage (compared with neighbouring TOCs) and the rock bottom morale. The union on SET are utterly hopeless and in the manager's pocket. So by all means use SET to get your key, but after that you won't want to hang around, unless things dramatically improve.

MintyMango

The reason why they are looking for more drivers is because they are haemorrhaging staff. Drivers are leaving in their droves to go to other TOCs owing to the poor wage (compared with neighbouring TOCs) and the rock bottom morale. The union on SET are utterly hopeless and in the manager's pocket. So by all means use SET to get your key, but after that you won't want to hang around, unless things dramatically improve.

How long are you required to stay at SE once qualified?

Railfan132

I am bit confused, I attempted the driver tests last year same month but didn’t pass, 2 year before that I’ve attempted the shunter assessment not shunter driver. Does this mean I’ve had my 2 chances and I won’t be eligible for this?

Applepie356

I’m already going through the process of Train shunter with them so it won’t let me apply :'( But good luck to everyone else

Jackofspades

I am bit confused, I attempted the driver tests last year same month but didn’t pass, 2 year before that I’ve attempted the shunter assessment not shunter driver. Does this mean I’ve had my 2 chances and I won’t be eligible for this?
Correct

REO Nate

Tempted to apply. Awaiting MMI with Southern. Last stage. What’s people’s thoughts. ?

I’m in a similar position. I’m awaiting a DMI with Southern and have already passed the MMI elsewhere.

I’ve also applied for SE, because two of my friends have been in the talent pool for Southern for 18+ months.

I feel potentially having a few options will be a good thing.

FR510

A lot of that depends on where you live. The London based depots do lose a lot of drivers to other TOCs, but the depots further out not so. A large percentage of drivers at the mainline depots are over 55, so that's another reason to start recruiting.

Alex85

Hi everyone,

I applied for the trainee train driver position with Southeastern.

As soon as I completed everything the status of my application went to Unsuccessful. Did anyone experienced the same thing? Do you think that my application will not be considered? Thanks

Established Member
I *think* it was/is two years. But I've never heard of them chasing someone for breach of contract.

It’s three years, and they don’t, because they can’t. It’s completely unenforceable.

MintyMango

Hi everyone,

As soon as I completed everything the status of my application went to Unsuccessful. Did anyone experienced the same thing? Do you think that my application will not be considered? Thanks

My guess would be that maybe you didn't pass the questionnaire?

MRPJM

Hi everyone,

I applied on Monday evening, I received an email on Tuesday, saying they will be touch when they had reviewed my application

Mickey66

'Union utterly hopeless and in the managers pocket'
Bit of an accusation that,anything to back that up?

Established Member
Not the case, I got collared for £6000 when I moved on after 18 months due to personal reasons.

Did they ask you to pay it and you agreed to? They did that with everyone who left within three years. Those who refused weren’t pursued (and it wasn’t deducted from their outstanding pay either). I’ll say no more than that!

Mintona

Established Member
Did they ask you to pay it and you agreed to? They did that with everyone who left within three years. Those who refused weren’t pursued (and it wasn’t deducted from their outstanding pay either). I’ll say no more than that!

No, they withheld my last two months pay. It was a tough time going from February to May 2014 with no income, moving half way across the country and an ill partner in hospital. Still, we muddled through somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.