• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern - worst train company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
Going off topic, but are there any plans to use the 395s on more services?

The version I understood was that too many were built (for normal service) so that there'd be sufficient for the Olympics, but will they be used more intensively/ on more services after the games have finished?

If they do have too many for normal service, then I suppose they could be used more, but I can't see it happening. Is there sufficient demand for more though, outside of peak? Is it worth the cost of running more services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SF-02

If they do have too many for normal service, then I suppose they could be used more, but I can't see it happening. Is there sufficient demand for more though, outside of peak? Is it worth the cost of running more services?

If they do have spare it would be great if they could be used for more seaside trains. As I said before Kent coastal resorts need a lot of help, and services to them are worse and far more expensive than Southern train to Brighton etc and South West to Bournemouth etc. A new tate has been built at Margate and with some good deals and more services the town could attract a more varied range of visitors, if there were more trains from St Pancras.

Cheap train tickets exist to other (wealthier) south coast resorts and Kent deserves them too. If there's spare trains use them for this! if they want to keep it premium then have cheap tickets on the older lines. Loads of people I know go to Brighton on the weekend as its a fiver with southern with constant offers. Hardly any try out Margate, Whitestable or Ramsgate as its so much more.

ChristopherJ

I don't use Southeastern often, I did today on my way to and from France via Dover, I witnessed the same reoccurring problems that have concerned me in the past.

Metro services are constantly filthy, every inner suburban working I have been on this year has been totally disgusting. Do they ever clean or maintain them? I used a 465 from Woolwich Arsenal to London Charing Cross in July and the bins had overflown, litter had been left in the luggage racks, floors were stained from drinks and other fluids, windows were etched, seats were loose, the gangway doors didn't work, the announcements were crackly. It was like a motorised pigsty!

On Mainline 375s, has anyone noticed the skirting around the edges of the interiors is beginning to decompose? There seems to be a very worrying brown/green mold growing on the flooring on their Electrostars. :shock: It's more noticeable on the older 375/3 and 375/6 than the newer 7/8/9s.

Since the CTRL-DS service has been introduced as a part of the IKF franchise, the impression given by SE is that the Metro and Mainline sectors have been abandoned and left to rot.

Last edited:

SF-02

The gallery in Margate has got nothing to do with the Tate.

Whoops I was thinking of Tate in St Ives when its the Turner contemporary. Still, its a good attempt by Margate though to broaden its attractions that successful coastal resorts have done. Cheap off peak advance trains there would also do the world of good.

TheJRB

Established Member
According to my GPS they nearly always achieve 140 mph what they can't do is to run early in to Ashford Southbound, this is because of of capacity constraints on platform 5/6.
Is that the xx:52 to Dover Priory that you're talking about? If so that must be because of the xx:47 all stations to Victoria via Maidstone East (the irony) at platform 6. The timings of the Victoria services are looking to be altered from December, so perhaps that will help with this issue.

There's talk of an all day St Pancras to Sandwich service from the beginning of the next franchise.

causton

Established Member
There's talk of an all day St Pancras to Sandwich service from the beginning of the next franchise.

[obligatory joke]
Will it have a buffet car? ;)
[/don't worry if you didn't get it]

But seriously, if there were more direct trains to coastal resorts in the area I would think about visiting them more. Like Brighton, Southend etc etc, but I never think of the Kent coast ones :)

craigwilson

On Mainline 375s, has anyone noticed the skirting around the edges of the interiors is beginning to decompose? There seems to be a very worrying brown/green mold growing on the flooring on their Electrostars. :shock: It's more noticeable on the older 375/3 and 375/6 than the newer 7/8/9s.

Well I use them 5 days a week, and as I have to change at Ramsgate I end up taking up to 4 of them a day.

I can't say I've noticed this, but my point of view is that I'd rather enjoy my paper and cuppa/a nap/watching the fields go past the window than inspect the minutae of the carriage. :D

Cheap off peak advance trains there would also do the world of good.

Unfortunately as Southeastern are very much a commuter TOC I doubt it will ever happen. Same with seat reservations.

ChristopherJ

I can't say I've noticed this, but my point of view is that I'd rather enjoy my paper and cuppa/a nap/watching the fields go past the window than inspect the minutae of the carriage. :D

Minute details? :shock:

Southeastern really need to sort out their image, not just hygienically but also commercially - their trains and stations are repulsive. If you accept the level of hygiene I have experienced then you must have very low standards, my friend.

Pics from SE users...

AwfYbVUCEAAv-2I.jpg

scaled.php

292544_3834934403531_1982237135_n.jpg

Just found this on Youtube. What makes me laugh is not the message but in fact the announcements are actually working! :lol:

[youtube]_Cr8eWU5P6I&[/youtube]

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In terms of the Greater London 'Metro' stations, I certainly think that the Southeastern managed stations look to be in a lot worse state, and not have as much staffing, than their Southern counterparts.

Were South Eastern stations always worse than South Central stations in the days of NSE/BR, or is this a gap that has broadened since privatisation? When the 2009 South Central franchise was awarded much was said about staffing of stations and barrier installation through into late at night. Presumably they weren't so concerned back in 2006 when it was transferred from the public sector to Southeastern.

Skimble19

Established Member
Out of interest, do the 395s do 140mph between Stratford and St Pancras?

craigwilson

Southeastern really need to sort out their image, not just hygienically but also commercially - their trains and stations are repulsive. If you accept the level of hygiene I have experienced then you must have very low standards, my friend.

Pics from SE users...

In terms of the Greater London 'Metro' stations, I certainly think that the Southeastern managed stations look to be in a lot worse state, and not have as much staffing, than their Southern counterparts.

I agree that those examples are quite clearly unacceptable - however I've never seen anything that bad at my end of the network, either on the trains or the stations. Ultimately our opinions are based on what we have experienced ourselves.

I accept that it may be much worse in the very intensively used 'Metro' end of the network though.

ChristopherJ

Out of interest, do the 395s do 140mph between Stratford and St Pancras?

It's only 9km, there's no distance to achieve that amount of speed and brake. 395s manage approximately 120-140km/h (75-90mph) before it's time to brake for the St Pancras terminal.

Last edited:

SF-02

Unfortunately as Southeastern are very much a commuter TOC I doubt it will ever happen. Same with seat reservations.

Southern are pretty similar though and they do. Southern have a lot of metro commuter routes and some lines to the coast. Very similar to southeastern.
Southern do loads of cheap tickets year round from London to the coast. Southeastern only did a 25% off advance deal for 2 weeks throughout the whole year, and that was if the journey started outside London to the coast I think.
Southeastern also have excess HS1 stock sitting around so I've read on here to use. Only difference I assume is the terms of the franchise don't make it worthwhile.

Skimble19

Established Member
It's only 9km, there's no distance to achieve that amount of speed and brake. 395s manage approximately 120-140km/h (75-90mph) before it's time to brake for the St Pancras terminal.
Ahh, I thought that might not be possibile in such a short distance. I must admit, having travelled on it a few times I'm pretty impressed; 6 minutes between St Pancras and Stratford beats all other ways there.

notadriver

Established Member

Cool how do you know this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.