• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern 455 Through Basingstoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
I’m not totally sure about this, but i saw something that looked a little bit like a Southern 455 Heading through Basingstoke this afternoon, about 15:55 ish. I know SWT Have apparently now built their own bogie refurbishment set up down in Bournemouth Depot for their units - no doubt for use by the Junipers and SWT's 455s, but are Southern using SWTs now? And if possible, can anyone find anything out about this move / prove that the heat isn’t getting to my brain this afternoon? :idea: :lol:

(I would like to say i could see more of whatever it was, but unfortunatly i only noticed the rear of the last coach from the road down below the station)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silvyelton

Was 455806 en route to Eastleigh Works. First unit to be refurbished there.
Others to follow after Olympics.

Helvellyn

Established Member
What refurbishment work are Southern having done to the units?

TEW

Established Member
New high up longitudinal grab rails, other minor work and a repaint in the same livery apparently. They were given a very heavy refurbishment not too long ago.

ert47

oooh... cant wait to see the changes!!

A while back (a few years methinks) I remember seeing a SWT livered 455 sitting in Selhurst Depot! Was a weird thing to see :D

fgwrich

Established Member
I wonder if they'll be receiving the same Door modification as SWTs 455? Where following the removal of the two grab handles either side of the doors lead to the doors opening about an extra inch?

As for the livery - wouldn't they be more likely to end up in the same newer style of Southern livery as per the 313s, minus Coastway branding? Either way, looks like it'll be a case of wait and see then.

Status
Not open for further replies.