• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Class 313 withdrawal/storage/scrapping updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recessio

455s only went because the license / lease hire, ran out. The cost to renew the license / lease hire went up by quite alot, so Southern decided to not renew it.
The 313's license / lease actually runs out at the end off 2023.
Is it the 313s that are being leased for a peppercorn rate? IIRC there is one class that had a superbly cheap leasing cost, if not the 313 I wonder if it was those 455s that just went...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
Is it the 313s that are being leased for a peppercorn rate? IIRC there is one class that had a superbly cheap leasing cost, if not the 313 I wonder if it was those 455s that just went...
The 313s are very cheap to lease.

brad465

Established Member
The 313s are very cheap to lease.
I remember seeing a post on this forum a long time ago saying exactly how much the lease was, but despite searching can't find it (if it ever existed and I wasn't imagining it). IIRC the lease cost is like pocket money rates.

AzureOtsu

I remember seeing a post on this forum a long time ago saying exactly how much the lease was, but despite searching can't find it (if it ever existed and I wasn't imagining it). IIRC the lease cost is like pocket money rates.
A southern guard once told me it was £1 per unit, but this can't be taken for gospel obviously.

Tynwald

You would have thought that the 455 lease would have been very cheap. Well very cheap now hey.

Energy

Established Member
They alwayd need work doing. Trains.

Even brand new ones
Not exactly. All trains do need continual day to day maintanence but at certain points you will need expensive overhauls, exams and refurbishments. Should these be needed after the end of a lease it can put the price of a lease up. Especially if the lease renewal/extension isn't for that long.

Recessio

A southern guard once told me it was £1 per unit, but this can't be taken for gospel obviously.
This might be what I was thinking of, yeah. £1 is the minimum price for a contract in English law, iirc. (there's precedent for this in railway land: off-topic, but I think the Waterloo & City was sold from BR to LT for £1, making it by far the cheapest tube line!)

Future

Debating riding on a 313 farewell tour, which will most likely be around the same time. Prices seem alright for the unique traction, although as Oliver said, bit of an early start and late finish

Last edited by a moderator:

LA50041

Established Member
Debating riding on a 313 farewell tour, which will most likely be around the same time. Prices seem alright for the unique traction, although as Oliver said, bit of an early start and late finish
313 farewell tour? think they are going to stay a bit longer in a limited capacity

Bishopstone

Established Member
If the 313s are staying for more than a few months, I hope something will be done about the 25% of windows with broken seals, ‘misting’, and therefore little view of our wonderful South Downs.

LA50041

Established Member
Thought they went off lease in December?
Do you have a source for that?
Internal briefing in the last week suggests they are planned to operate into the DEC 2022 Base (albeit probably in a limited capacity)

Future

Do you have a source for that?
Internal briefing in the last week suggests they are planned to operate into the DEC 2022 Base (albeit probably in a limited capacity)
Not a definite one, no . But I've heard wind of it from others

LA50041

Established Member
Not a definite one, no . But I've heard wind of it from others
There may be some units withdrawn or stored, but some 313's will continue into 2023.
I cant find any reference to the end dates of the actual lease dates anywhere online, probably a commercially sensitive piece of data

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I think at this point its safe to assume that there will be no withdrawals of 313s until the 377/5s come into play. The stock is already stretched and the September re-timetable won't do much to relieve that. As LA50041, 313s will continue into 2023.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I think at this point its safe to assume that there will be no withdrawals of 313s until the 377/5s come into play. The stock is already stretched and the September re-timetable won't do much to relieve that. As LA50041, 313s will continue into 2023.
So if it's the 377/5's coming over, that will depend on enough 465s and 707s being available on Southeastern/transferred from SWR which in turn depends on the stored 465's being fit for service and the 701s being in revenue-earning service on SWR....

Or the 313 lease runs out at the end of December and they will go the same way as the Southern 455's

Southern Dvr

Depends, if they would have needed work doing then it will have gone up.
Most of the fleet had just had a C4 overhaul which is pretty comprehensive. When the news broke about them going for scrap there was at least one unit halfway through the overhaul at Selhurst Depot.

MCT Trains

Probably a bit premature for a "313 withdrawal thread" but with further reductions in the Southern timetable (from 15th May), e.g. withdrawal of the Brighton - West Worthing stoppers and Hove/Lewes shuttles, will units be placed into warm store or just rotated to keep them serviceable?
I’m not sure, I’m currently trying to capture on camera all 19 well 20 including the test train. I have them all bar 202, 215 and 217 !! Does anyone know if these 3 units are currently running as of writing this on 16th August. Or are they just alluding me lol I live by bosham station so get most there on the Pompey Brighton run or Pompey littehampton or at Ford where I get the Bognor shuttle to. Would I have more luck having a trip over Brighton for a try say newhaven or west Worthing ? Any help be great

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
According to PartTimeSpotter website, 313.202 was in service yesterday, 313.215 shown as having run last Wednesday. Don't know if it ran over the weekend.

313.217 hasn't run since early June, no idea what is going on with this unit

Last edited:

BRblue33

According to PartTimeSpotter website, 313.202 was in service yesterday, 313.215 shown as having run last Wednesday. Don't know if it ran over the weekend.

313.217 hasn't run since early June, no idea what is going on with this unit
On the 9th aug 202/215 where both on the Brighton/seaford. went on both of them Lewes too Brighton and back

Energy

Established Member
Most of the fleet had just had a C4 overhaul which is pretty comprehensive. When the news broke about them going for scrap there was at least one unit halfway through the overhaul at Selhurst Depot.
Weird that they went then.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
What is the benefit to the leasing company of a peppercorn lease rate? Is it merely that it's cheaper than warm storage (or cold storage and possible later reactivation) in that someone keeps their asset operational and maintained for them?

Southern Dvr

Weird that they went then.
The cost to operate 455s was considerably more than to operate 377s, this was due to their weight and their lack of rheostatic/regenerative braking.

The C4 overhaul programme is typical of the railways really, bit like painting signalboxes weeks before closure.

No industry can waste money like the railways can!!

Doomotron

What is the benefit to the leasing company of a peppercorn lease rate? Is it merely that it's cheaper than warm storage (or cold storage and possible later reactivation) in that someone keeps their asset operational and maintained for them?
I believe it is because the trains are considered to be a dead-end; there is presumably no home for them after Southern so there is little reason to milk them for cash.

Towers

Established Member
The last bit of profit they will make for their owners will be when they're sold as scrap value, between now and then it's just a waiting game!

Status
Not open for further replies.